PDA

View Full Version : Graffiti and the Crossdresser

Katy120
12-19-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure where this idea falls on the SS-PP Scale. (0 = Singularly Stupid, 10 = Profoundly Perceptive)

I've always found graffiti artists irksome. I can't get in their heads. Their art, if that is the right word, doesn't speak to me at all except that it makes me angry.

However, the other day as I was thinking about the "why" of crossdressing when the thought crossed my mind that there is threadlike connection between graffiti artists and crossdressers. Both involve a form of self-expression and a form of rebellion against the conventions of society. There is a degree of thumbing your nose at perceived notions of what is acceptable.

What do you think?

mikiSJ
12-19-2013, 09:03 PM
There is some very good graffiti out there, mostly in the form of murals on the alley walls of urban industrial buildings. And it this regard I understand your connection.

But, and I think this what you rail against is the tagging done by gangsters and their emulators. In this regard, the last thing I want to associate with tagging is CDing.

Also, don't tag and crossdress at the same time - you'll piss off a lot more people that you can imagine.

Kate Simmons
12-19-2013, 09:45 PM
I think I do it just to enjoy myself and have fun. I've realized that If we try to get too profound it loses something in the translation, so my personal philosophy has become to just enjoy being yourself and let the rest(of society) try to figure it out.;):)

LaraPeterson
12-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Katy, believe your idea IS perceptive. And thumbing one's nose is pretty self-satifying sometimes, isn't it?

Beverley Sims
12-19-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't think I dress to rebel and the only graffiti I engage in is on this board.
Which reminds me I must get another spray can.:)

Eryn
12-20-2013, 12:59 AM
I see no connection. When I crossdress I don't hurt other people by vandalizing their property.

Violetgray
12-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Graffiti doesn't have to be vandalism, though it often is. Just like crossdressing, it's a form of expression, each person does it in their own style, it's looked down upon by society. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean there are no similarities.

KaceyR
12-20-2013, 03:26 AM
Also, don't tag and crossdress at the same time - you'll piss off a lot more people that you can imagine.

Plus... it's hard as hell to run away from cops in heels...
:laughing:

Tracii G
12-20-2013, 04:21 AM
I do like to try and figure out what the message of the graffiti is.
For the life of me I can never figure out what the words are if there are words in it.
Same with the goofy logos of death metal bands soo damn hard to read sometimes.

emilamb
12-20-2013, 06:32 AM
I think Eryn's right. Crossdressing is something we do ourselves. Graffiti is something that's done to someone else's property (if it's not vandalism, then it's not graffiti, it's just a mural). That's a big difference. Maybe if you're finding random men and dressing them up while they're sleeping, then you have a valid comparison...

Katey888
12-20-2013, 06:55 AM
I can't think we share too much with teenagers who wear jeans that sag to their knees... :Angry3: