PDA

View Full Version : Lolitas, Brolitas and Acceptance

AnnieMac
12-21-2013, 07:04 AM
I have been interested, although have never done it, in the Lolita fashion trends that originally started in Japan, and has later spread throughout the world. I am taken by its ultra feminine, frilly little girl look. Not in a fetish sort of way, on the contrary, I am intrigued by the attitude of those participating in the Lolita lifestyle, on its focus on the purely innocent, non-sexual, sweet attitudes. It's like celebrating femininity without sexuality, taking back to a time when it was wonderful to be a sweet little girl, and to be a boy and like them just because they were pretty and nothing else. The GG girls that enjoy Lolita fashions and gatherings celebrate this sweetness like cute little cupcakes. Funny thing, is some GG's that participate and do go "over the top" a little, can be made fun of somewhat. Kind if interesting that GG's could be made fun of for being "too girly", like cross-dressers! The "cross-dressing" spectrum is truly an interesting one!

More interestingly though, is the Lolita's almost total acceptance of the men and boys that participate in this too, and they are called humorously "Brolitas" (kind of a silly name). The GG participants are so into this sweet look, that they totally welcome males that want to participate in the look and feel of "Lolita" lifestyle, and have no issues with males playing with dressing up and enjoying the sweetness of it all. I have found these groups that I have read about to be more accepting of cross-dressing than any other I have discovered to this point. It gives me a feeling of hope. It's really quite wonderful! I love its beautiful emphasis on ultra feminine sweetness, beauty and innocence. So I may have to try it someday.

I must admit though, part of my interest is I was always a little jealous of little girls growing up when we had to dress nice for Easter or Christmas. They got to wear these lovely wonderful clothes and got much praise, and I got to wear this boring black short pants suit, and get yelled at mostly to not get dirty. Yes, I guess I admit it, I probably have some issues to sort out like most of us :)

I once read that male cross dressers often will dress up in different age appropriate styles, to make up for not being able to do that as girls growing up, - kind of like maturing in a time-warp. So I may like to try dressing up like a Lolita/Brolita-(still funny), once or twice, but honestly when I dress female, I pretty much try to be as much of a main-stream cross-dresser (OMG, did I just type that?) as possible, and look as much like a regular woman on the street as I can.

Search around the Lolita-Brolita thing a little on Pinterest. I think you will find it fascinating. And, actually Pinterest is a GREAT place to search for cross-dressing fashion ideas.

Oh my! I am just like a WOMAN! I can NOT shut up and talk(type) too much. Sorry again for the too long post!! I am just so enjoying being new to the forum and sharing my now more open female nature with y'all.

Adriana Moretti
12-21-2013, 07:16 AM
this site has some cute fashions in that style mixed in here & there http://www.dacoz.com/ I love some of the stuff on this site fashion wise...too much white in their color palette though... never actually knew there was a name for that style lolita...you learn something new everyday ....... http://wheretoget.it/ is one of my favorite sites to spot some great fashion ideas...

AnnieMac
12-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the links Adriana. There are some lovely dresses there! Search around the net a bit on the whole Lolita/Brolita thing. I think you will find their very free acceptance of cross-dressing refreshing!

NicoleScott
12-21-2013, 08:23 AM
I like to dress and make up in an over-the-top everything style. It's just what I like without knowing or caring why. Within the last several years, I have had the desire to dress in a different kind of girly way as I see it in my mind. First, I wanted a cheongsam (Chinese dress). The color and style I liked best, unfortunately, was a long cheongsam, so I bought it and using my sewing skills, shortened it to a mini. Then, I wanted a maid's outfit, so I bought one, made a lace headband and even bought a feather-duster as an accessory. Then I had to have a Japanese schoolgirl sailor uniform, so I got one of those, too. I love them all, and each one I choose to wear makes me feel a little different. It's all good. Next on my list was a frilly little girl's dress, or a sissy dress. I found the ultimate (in my mind) Lolits dress online but I haven't purchased it yet. Yes, I love the Lolita look. I'm not sure about acceptance where I live. Well, actually I am quite sure.

Jordan-NH
12-21-2013, 10:24 AM
I've been wanting to try the Lolita style for a while. Didn't really think of it as a movement and I never even considered that might be groups and gatherings for it. Now I'm just more motivated to go shopping for something frilly!

Beverley Sims
12-21-2013, 12:55 PM
For me it is another form of experimentation.
Satisfies my curiosity to see how I might have been.
I usually gravitate back to skirts and regular tops.