PDA

View Full Version : This is a tough one

Erica Marie
12-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Ok, this will be tough because I want to attempt to word this correctly so every one understands what Im getting at.

Do you think cds dress differently in terms of the stage you are at. Some of us only dress at home, some of us go out but only to certain clubs or meetings, some of us will dress and make it part of our everyday lives.

This is for all of us, but the few of us who actually get out mainstream may have a a better point of view. Do you think your dressing or style of dressing changes as you progress. Many of us like to dress to the nines but as we progress to public do you think your style relaxes? Most of the pics in the galleries are full out fancy dresses, hair done perfect and make up to perfection. I dont get out normally, but even at home I prefer the most casual attire possible. To me it feels more natural and comfortable.

How do you other girls feel most comfortable, casual or full tilt made up.

Hope some of that makes sense :)

Kate Simmons
12-22-2013, 09:12 AM
The only thing I can say for myself is that regardless of if I dress casually or to the "nines" I always want to look nice the same as women do. :)

Marcelle
12-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Hi Erica,

For me, I tend to dress to blend so casual style for day and if I am going out to a function then it would be to the nines. Regarding make-up, if I am going out (casual or formal) I always have to do the make-up well to ensure I don't scare the world around me :eek:

Hugs

Isha

MsRenee
12-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Being out in the mainstream, my style has evolved to business casual.
That change came along with my ex-s/o still wanting to be a part of my life.
She helped me transform when being out to being abke to comfortably blend with the public. I will say that I truely love the business skirt look as
Lately Ive seen alot more ladies going back to the skirt suit instead of the power look.
Renee

Ressie
12-22-2013, 09:17 AM
I've always loved glamour. Casual is boring!

kimdl93
12-22-2013, 09:20 AM
I don't know that my sense of style has relaxed...I think it matured. With experience, ones sense of style evolves. It's not just because of where and when we go out, but learning what works for our coloring and shape as well. Each of us has some wardrobe failures in the back of the closet.

And of course, for each formal occassion where I could dress to the nines, I spend 50 at home or in the neighborhood and need a wardrobe that reflects this.

Raychel
12-22-2013, 09:22 AM
As for me. My dressing has not changed at all, No matter what stage I am at in my life.
I always prefer to dress classy, Long dresses, Nice tops and skirts, ect.

If I have to dress casual, I will just go in guy mode.
No real sense in dressing in casual fem mode, Jeans or pants are the same both womens or mens.

Cheryl T
12-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Absolutely your style changes. It changes as you age and as you become more confident and for those of us that go out frequently it changes even more.
At first I was all about the sexiest things I could find. Garters and lacy bras and the highest heels. Then I wanted to look more like other women and dressed more as they did. Finally I found myself and no longer dress for others, but for myself.
I realized that I didn't want to be the "ideal woman", that fantasy that men see in Playboy and the like. I just wanted to be me. I don't try to be something I'm not. I can't look like Heidi Klum, but I can look my best and be happy.

Adriana Moretti
12-22-2013, 09:58 AM
yes I think your style changes...when I first started I was into the gothic look...then that progressed into a more Gwen Stefani look...now its a a more classy yet flirty look ...I am more into traditional styles now and just style in general. I can see why I liked the goth look when I started...corsets, fishnets, pencil skirts, collars...but grew out of that a while ago...

Jenniferathome
12-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Erica, I would say that I developed a style. And that happened only after I came out to my wife. Prior tot hat, hiding everything meant keeping my "wardrobe" really small. Freedom to discuss what I liked and what worked with it lead to a style that makes me comfortable. It can be casual or full-tilt. Whatever is appropriate.

Barbra P
12-22-2013, 10:40 AM
A long time ago, in a / . . . / it was skirts (finding skirts that fit was easier than finding dresses) and nice blouses, pantyhose and heels, bright red lipstick, and would you believe that my first eye shadow was sky blue? I was in the closet and dressing exclusively for the image in the mirror; well the woman across the street knew but I couldn’t go over to her house because one of the other neighbors might see me.

I don’t remember where I got them but I had a pair of jeans and being Halloween I wore them across the street to (I’ll call her Di) Di’s house. She had a friend visiting and she thought I looked fantastic in the jeans, with a cute butt – well they were tight jeans. That revelation started a gradual change in how I looked at that image in the mirror.

I’m semi-out, I go to some of my therapy sessions en femme – requires walking into a crowded medical center. I sometimes attend the local TG support group meetings – requires walking through a crowded restaurant. I dress on average one day a week and I spend time out in the yard, sometimes walk the dog, and many of my neighbors have seen me and quite a few, mostly women, have chatted with me on those occasions. None of those occasions call for fancy dress, casual attire is the norm and that is what I wear. But I like nice casual attire, nice jeans, nice Capris, maybe a nice looking skort, and nice tops I have sort of a thing for tops with loose draped (cowl) necklines.

I wear a fair amount of makeup, but then I need a fair amount of makeup. Just discovered how much better foundation looks if you first apply primer. The sky blue eye shadow is long gone and now replaced earth tones, maybe sometimes subtle tones of amethyst, and the lipstick is much more likely to be shades of mauves, wines, corals, and pinks, with an occasional muted red. The long wigs have been replaced with a Bob. The result is that when I stand in front of the mirror the image looking back at me looks a whole lot more like a woman and less like a man in a dress.

I might not stand up to much scrutiny but I think I blend pretty well. I realized it isn’t the clothes so much as being a woman, if only for a day. Maybe my Therapist was/is right that I am TS, she did recommend that I start HRT.

I was out Christmas shopping with my Daughter (she’s 30 and she has known since she was in her teens) and I was noticing how the women in the mall were dressed and wondering how I would fit in – blend in. I was somewhat surprised at how many of the women, in all age groups, dressed like trash. I mean I wouldn’t be seen in my own yard dressed like that, much less in a fairly upscale mall. Well it is Southern California and a cold day here means that the temperature is around 60-degrees; the high for Christmas Day is forecast in the mid to high 70’s, which means where I live it will probably top 80. Winter fashions are pretty much DOA, but still I’m always disappointed to see that dress code has deteriorated to such an extent with such a large part of the female population – well not this girl, this girl still takes pride in her appearance.

PretzelGirl
12-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I believe that in the majority of the time, you can never say anything that is all encompassing (like how I did that?). But I do believe there are common factors. Certainly as we age, we may change styles as we go. Again, some may not change at all as they want to dress like it is the 50's for example. Then many who go out will have their style change to be appropriate for the occasion and venue. Also, I think frequency can come into play. If your ability to dress is fairly infrequent, I believe many "crank it up" since their opportunity to dress up is rare.

Beverley Sims
12-22-2013, 12:06 PM
I tend not to dress foxxy any more now that I am older.
I am not after attention any more, I did dress attractively and it actually attracted girls to me.
I was out and they all knew me.
For some reason the boys never showed interest. :)

Bree Wagner
12-22-2013, 12:15 PM
My sense of style and dress definitely evolved. At first, when I was just dressing at home it could be anything (including short and tight!) but as I got closer to getting out what I wore toned down a bit, but didn't really have much fashion cohesion. As I ventured out I think I started to develop a better sense of style, location appropriateness, and functionality. A lot of it was just experience, lots of shopping, and finding what I was personally comfortable with. Comfort could be dressed to the nines at a fancy party (I wish I had more to go to) or jeans and a t-shirt at the mall.

-Bree

rachaelsloane
12-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Erica,
As one of the going out in the mainstream group and I have found myself definitely dressing to the occassion. While out Thursday night, a dress and heels, as if I was doing from work. Last night I went to see a friend's modern dance performance and wore legging, tunic sweater and flats. Monday night I'll wear the outfit in my avatar as it will be a holiday wine tasting.
With all the above said, the more I go out, the larger my wardrobe gets.
Happy Holidays,
Rach

Rachelakld
12-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Casual with clothes and miniumal makeup if I can for mall shopping & groceries etc.
I do try harder for evening outings, but that's once or twice a year

carhill2mn
12-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Given those two choices - "full tilt made up". Even if I am dressing casually, I always do my makeup, wear a nice wig and jewelry, etc.

AmyGaleRT
12-23-2013, 05:31 AM
Knowing that I am now capable of a fully feminine look when going "all out," I'm now working on toning it down some for more casual occasions, trying to find the minimum in which I can feel comfortable and look feminine. However, if I'm going out in the evening, I'll definitely still doll up. And while sometimes I would like to affect a more casual look, there are such things as "casual dresses," of which I own not a few. :)

- Amy

PaulaQ
12-23-2013, 06:15 AM
I guess my sense of style has changed. At first I only wore lingerie and stuff. Although I did manage to swipe one dress as a kid which I really loved.

I tried dressing to the nines briefly, but many of those clothes just aren't very flattering to me. So mostly I wear cute but casual clothes.

I am going to wear a really pretty gown on new years eve though. Gotta find shoes...

Lynn Marie
12-23-2013, 08:57 AM
For me there has been a most definite change in my look as I mature and get more experience in the sport. My heels are getting shorter, my boobs are getting smaller, my skirts are getting longer, and my lingerie is getting more refined.

josrphine
12-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi just like Lynn every thing gets to blending in. As I got more into dressing my hair is a short auburn wig like my wires hair. In Florida dress's are for a night out an then its not overly done. I too have found that high heels hurt, a low heel is great 1 or 2 inches. I like to wear the style of pants that are cool durning the hot days . My wife an I love to go out as sisters, an the reaction is it two women that are for a night. Being that it is 8 women to every 1 man here in florida an If i say so my self I look a lot better then most of them. I love being a women. JO

Suzanne F
12-23-2013, 03:08 PM
I go out in the mainstream a lot now. That means being out in San Francisco on weekend nights for me. That gives me a lot of freedom as to what to wear. I wear mostly skirts but have a few nice dresses also. I recently went to a play so I bought a nice dress for the occasion. I did buy my first pair of girly jeans this week and may wear them Friday night. I think Allie and Rachael have helped me learn to look nice and blend in. I feel like I am starting to have my own sense of what I like. My avatar outfit is one I bought myself recently. I want to be seen as a classy lady with her own sense of style. A successful independent woman!
Hugs
Suzanne

Angie G
12-23-2013, 04:24 PM
I don't get full tilt made up vert ofton. But I dress at home 5 days a week from very casual up to formal.I love it all the same.:hugs:
Angie

Stephanie Julianna
12-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Years ago when I did the drag bars in NYC, it was always after Nine cocktail type of dressing. Never trashy, always classy. When I finally wanted to go maintream I watched what the GG's did and followed the lead of the office girls. I still love and prefer the feel and sound of taffeta, satin and chiffon but you'll find more sweater dresses in my closet now.

Taliya
12-23-2013, 09:43 PM
I have found that as I went out en femme "in the mainstream", everything about my presentation "evolved" (like Bree shared) . It became about dressing appropriately for the intended "outing", and that a micro mini on this 44 year old is not necessarily appropriate attire outside of my house! It is also not unlike a teen girl learning the differences between day makeup and night makeup, I too had to learn that I might not want to wear heavy black eyeliner to a supermarket. I also had to find "my style", which has evolved to "business casual" (like MsRenee shared). Several of my "sisters" have also had the same experience of evolving. I have found that my "need" to change my style did not surface until I started going out regularly in the mainstream a year ago. I found out the hard way that walking for 4 hours in 4" heels is not the same as prancing around on the carpet in front of the mirror at home. I am now so much more likely to wear a pair of danskos and lowrise jeans now - and feel so much more comfortable and feminine when in "Taliya" mode.

Sophie Yang
12-23-2013, 10:29 PM
For me, it depends on where I am going and what I am doing. For the most part, I try to blend in and be myself. I am out and about and alone quite a bit and do not want to draw a lot of attention to myself. I don't glam it up too much. Usually foundation, blush, a little contouring, and lip stick. On occasion a little eye shadow. I usually throw on a belt and sometimes some ear rings or a bracelet.

If I am going out with a group of girls, I glam it up a bit. I walk a lot, so usually wear flats and carry heels in my bag. When I fly home on a Thursday night, it is usually business attire, (jacket, blouse, skirt, hose, and heels or flats.) or a dress hose and heel or flats. When I fly out on a Sunday afternoon, it something casual, (blouse/skirt or shirt/jeans, casual dress).

As I've progressed, I have certain goto combinations that always work. But I still love putting together new combinations. Something I never do as a guy. Most of the time being over dressed more so than under dressed will draw attention to you unless of course it is a formal event. Where I work there is still a dress code. No casual Friday's.

A lot of it depends on the weather. There was a period where it 0 plus or minus a degree or two. Minus 17 wind chill factor is nothing to fool around with. Freezing weather actually feels nice after a spell like that. Nothing more glamorous than the Pillsbury Dough Girl look.

suchacutie
12-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Since I was male one day and had a femme self 48 hours later completely out of the blue, my evolution has been very rapid. My wife immediately bought Tina a short skirt to accentuate my legs. We then started talking about style and body type and all that girl fashion stuff that we don't learn about growing up as boys. My wife insisted that Tina should be able to develop a sense of style for any situation and she's been pretty successful.

That means my evolution happened at warp speed without the need for public trial and error. That doesn't mean Tina is completely comfortable and confident picking a "look" appropriate for any occasion, but my wife chuckles at her less frequently!