PDA

View Full Version : A Day of Firsts

Marcelle
12-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi all,

I was reading a post by a member asking if anyone has ever travelled on public transit and that got me thinking that I had not. So today, I was planning to travel from my little burg to the big city to have lunch with one of the gals from my support group and do some shopping. So, I figured why not take the bus from the environs to the city center.

I have to admit while it sounded like a good idea at the time, as soon as I exited the car and walked to the bus stop to wait, the huge amount of morning commuters (it was early morn) standing and waiting was a bit daunting. So, I took a deep breath and went to join the herd. I got a few stares but nobody pointed and laughed :). Once the bus arrived it was standing room only but to my utter shock an older gentleman offered me his seat . . . I was tempted to say "that's okay" but he was so sincere I did not want to sound ungrateful, so I took the offered seat.

When I got to the city center, I met a friend of mine who I have come out to but has not met Isha. We had coffee and chatted for awhile until I had to go off to meet my lunch appointment. Lunch was great but I really had to go to the bathroom halfway through the lunch (darn coffee). So my friend told me to use the "ladies room". Now I have been in one ladies room but that was at a car dealership with no women in the waiting area. This was a busy restaurant at lunch. So I took a deep breath and went in and ran right into a lady coming out. All she said was "excuse me" and exited. So, I did my business and was washing my hands when another woman exited one of the stalls. She came up beside and looked at me for a minute then promptly asked "where did you get your glasses, I absolutely love them" . . . so I told her and we began to chat about glasses in general when two other women came in, looked at us, then went about their own business. I exited and went back to the table.

After lunch was finished, we met some other girls from the support group for coffee and then I went off to do some last minute XMAS shopping. Final thing was to go wait with the herd at the bus stop and go back to the car. Nobody offered me their seat this time, but then again it was so packed it didn't matter.

Truly a day of firsts for Isha and I just wanted to share.

Hugs

Isha

StaceyJane
12-23-2013, 07:33 PM
That's great! I've ridden public transportation in Dallas and I loved it.

Rachael Leigh
12-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Isha, you are amazing I doubt I will ever reach your level of comfort for going out and about but do enjoy your stories.
Sounded like a great day.?

Stephanie Sometimes
12-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Sounds like a wonderful day Isha! Thanks for sharing your experiences as you venture out in public, it really is helpful to those of us that are working towards getting out more.
Hugs and best wishes for the holdidays,
Stephanie

KayleeTaylor
12-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Sounds like quite the adventure :) I am glad you had a good time!

:hugs:

Kaylee :)

Christina Kay
12-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Thank you Isha for sharing your wonderful day. Always so much fun reading your posts. Maybe one day I will venture out ;) Hugs

Abbey11
12-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Sounds like good time, thanks for sharing xx

GretchenJ
12-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Isha,

I am so glad you joined this forum. You do the things that no one even thinks about doing, and you have such a great spirit and guts I wish I had 10% of.

The seat on the bus conundrum reminded of my of my recent trip out with people. As I was leaving the mall, and was heading for the parking lot, I noticed from my peripheral vision a mom and her young daughter catching up to me. I had no idea what to do, usually I would hold the door open, and let the women go first --- but I am not a guy right now! So , I just hung a quick left at a display just by the door and browsed until the the family left..

.. All the things you just don't think about.
Gretch

Kristina_nolagirl
12-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Wow what a great day! So nice to be treated like a lady. Merry Christmas to you!

jaye_cd
12-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful day out!

Stephanie Julianna
12-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Isha, You got validated quite a few times on that trip. The more you get out the more comfortable you get. The more comfortable you get to more easily you are perceived as the woman you appear to be. Go get them girl. Hi Five girly style! LOL Steph

Jamie Lynn
12-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Way to go, Isha!!! You are our inspiration!!!

mary something
12-23-2013, 08:53 PM
What a great day! great job!

Beverley Sims
12-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Isha,
More confidence boosting.
Now you know what they mean by "the herd instinct". :)

Marissa M
12-23-2013, 11:20 PM
That is so great. Hope to get there soon. Thanks. Hugs.

AmyGaleRT
12-24-2013, 03:22 AM
Isha, your confidence is building, and it shows in how you're treated when you're out! That's the real key...be confident in yourself and in your presentation, and you'll go far! You go, girl! :)

- Amy

Katey888
12-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Super experience Isha - you are really blazing a trail for your true independence. It's great that you can share these experiences for those of us with fainter hearts and shakier knees :nailbiting:
Onward! and Outward..? :)
Kateyx

kimdl93
12-24-2013, 07:35 AM
I've never taken mass transit en femme. Guess that's something to put on my list. Your experience in using the ladies room is similar to mine. I've never had an issue.

Maria in heels
12-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Isha...what a wonderful day!

stephNE
12-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi Isha, what a great day for you!

Tina B.
12-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Isha, but how could you take that poor old mans seat? Kidding, how is that for passing!

alexis61
12-24-2013, 11:07 AM
That's a fantastic story!! So proud of you

Shar
12-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Isha, sounds like you had a great day and proved again you are all woman.

Suzanne F
12-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Isha
Way to go girl! I am so happy for you and what you have accomplished this year! We both have taken chances and grown this year. I feel like we are close sisters given our similar experiences this year. I look forward to sharing more experiences with you in the upcoming year. It helps so much to hear about your courage. Have a great holiday with your family!
Hugs
Suzanne

LaraPeterson
12-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Gutsy Isha, I'm sure there was a host of other men who would have been glad to give you a seat or hold your hand as you exited the bus; you just didn't see them admiring your beauty.

Marcelle
12-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your kind comments and feedback. I truly enjoyed that day although the bus ride was very nerve wrecking both for being "en femme" and as I don't have a lot of faith in our fair city's transit system. Now that I have crossed that threshold, I believe Isha will avail herself of the bus a few more times in the New Year but will mainly stick to her car (more convenient and less smelly).

Hope you all are having a great holiday season.

Hugs

Isha

julia marie
12-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Isha. Sounds like a great day. You're proving what a lot of us are learning is possible. Go out, mind your business, and enjoy life. Cheers.

Flirty_Fantasies
12-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Super day, Isha--one I would strive for in the future. Your photo is lovely and it is easy to see validation for you.

Merry Xmas!

Janelle ;)