PDA

View Full Version : And The World Turns --- to Chanel

Julie Gaum
12-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Out dressed to drug store today and returned just in time to find the UPS driver at my door --- two days late with an "over nighter" from Chanel. Signing for it got an uncertain look when I said I was the designee. Rushed to open Gabrielle Chanel's
No. 5 --- a Christmas gift to myself. Almost cried putting on a drop. Flash back 67 years to France. Flew in to Orly for a reunion with my brother - a captain with the
101st Airborne --- war was winding down. After my hangover subsided went to Place Vendome to buy perfume for my mother. Months later on a troop train from Mass. to Fort Dix for fast furlough --- we were to go to Japan to head off a Russian anticipated take-over of Japan. Swarms of guys homing in to the sweet smell emittting from my duffle --- Chanel was leaking! Finally Mom got what was left.
Now this perfume was bringing back wonderful memories - wonderful memories.
Julie

Desirae
12-26-2013, 09:51 PM
That's my mother's favorite perfume, too. It's rather expensive, also. I bought it for her for a couple Christmases and I remember that a small bottle was well over $100. It didn't matter as long as it was what she liked. They say that the Olfactory sense is among the most powerful and can induce the recollection many vivid memories (both good and bad). Enjoy!

Ineke Vashon
12-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Funny story, Julie. Nice memory to have.

Ineke

jaye_cd
12-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Merry Late Christmas to you from yourself! That's a very touching story, thank you for sharing that!

Jaylyn
12-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Wow what a great story, I for one appreciate your service. My dad also served and it left many dreadful night mares with him. You have a great one to tell. Thank you for sharing a touching story like that.

Jessica giovanna
12-27-2013, 01:03 AM
That is why they are and forever will be the GREATEST generation! Beautiful story!

Beverley Sims
12-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Julie,
What a pleasant reflection.
A bottle of that stuff is worth a fortune these days.
I have some dregs in a square bottle that has lasted through the generations.
It belonged to my Grandmother.

kimdl93
12-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Wow what an intense time that was...so much going on in your young lives. A time filled with very real and justifiable fears, the excitement of being part of a worldwide enterprise all a t the same Tim a backdrop for your lives.

Stephanie Sometimes
12-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Great story Julie, thanks so much for sharing it. No.5 was my mom's favorite as well in her younger days.
Hugs,
Stephanie

Amanda M
12-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Julie. A lovely tale - and, I hope even lovlier memories.

stephNE
12-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Wonderful story, than you Julie!

Adeline
12-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Isn't it gorgeous?
I love Allure Sensuelle too. I think just the name as much as the scent!

A x

lauren_m
12-28-2013, 05:03 AM
Julie, thanks so much for sharing -- and for serving!

Marcelle
12-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Hi Julie,

What a great story and what a great way to relive an amazing memory.

Hugs

Isha

Christina Kay
12-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Julie Thank You for sharing that story. A little blip of history , just love hearing them. Hugs Aretha