PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay escapism ?

Talisker
12-30-2013, 03:45 PM
For me at least crossdressing is a form of escapism and fantasy. At least for a few hours its fun and I can forget all the everyday worries and stuff that needs doing, but at the end of the day its also good to take off the wig and go back to guy mode. Too much hassle being a woman 24/7 !!

I have not tried it but I can appreciate that this may be part of the attraction of the “anime” or “cosplay” scene where people dress as fictional characters for the day. There are also large conventions or expos where hundreds of people gather. As an aside I read that a large proportion of the female characters are actually male underneath. Basically dress up, have fun and become someone else for the day. Has anyone tried this or see the similarities?

Valarie
12-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Yes my wife and I love comic and anime conventions, many people are very accepting of MtF cosplayers. I have never done it, but after coming out to my wife she wants to crossdress cosplay where she is a male character and I am female. We nerd people are very accepting of all people so I would say try it out. It can be very expensive; tickets, hotel, COSTUME, plus all other expenses. So just like crossdressing cosplaying can get very consuming, I have a friend that makes her own costumes and props but its fun ;)

AnnieMac
12-30-2013, 04:28 PM
I had an earlier post about Lolitas and "Brolitas". Now those Lolita Girls will tell you that the Lolita lifestyle has nothing to do with Cosplay. But they are distantly related. In reading all about Lolitas, I found that they are the most accepting group I found to date that fully welcome the guys (brolitas) into their community of innocent, soft, extremely feminine, little "cup-cake dressing. They love the clothes and lifestyle so much, that they welcome the guys that are into it too! No weird fetishes, just lovely innocence. I love the look and would like to try a Brolita outfit someday for fun! Search around the internet you will find out all kinds of things about the Lolita lifestyle.

KaceyR
12-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Back in Oct when I was working up my maid outfit, I also was thinking about the aspect of maybe showing it at Youmacon, the anime con here in Detroit. Originally was going to (even though I live in the area) have the entire week off and stay at the hotel. And thought I'd have it for then. Other stuff interfered and it didn't. But there's next year :)
I've been looking up the crossplay stuff and how it's grown.
Found a Facebook group 7500 member strong so there's good interest out there.
I can remember back in early 90's how people thought the male Sailor Moons were such an oddity.
(Especially, as these were more or less drag versions... No getting rid of beards for these guys.)

Nowadays, I can see it going on to be something enjoyed and done more frequently..as well as with more seriousness in presentation. Not for the shock effect.

Japan's done crossplay a lot. But then again, there's been a noted subculture out there for crossdressers in general for some time. (Maid clubs where servers are CD, others)
Nowadays, there's a lot of anime that has the occasional CD or trap char, which makes those a target for cosplay. (Hideyoshi Kinoshita? :) )
True crossplayers I think are going ahead with full female chars and trying to do that (and pass).

My downside unfortunately is age... As most anime chars are young so it'd be rough to be convincing :)
But I've seen pics of several here that could easily pull it off. Just the unique costume, and unusually colored wig and you're set :)

Hmmm.. Lum in her tiger striped bikini...now there's a challenge :)

Beverley Sims
12-30-2013, 05:39 PM
For some crossdressing is, cosplay escapism, I am sure.

MissTee
12-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Never heard of a "Brolita" before this thread. Cool. I actually learned something new. :heehee::battingeyelashes:

Aly Cat
12-30-2013, 10:48 PM
I go to Dragoncon here in Atlanta which is a ton of fun....its like Halloween on crack. 4 days, 60,000 people, 95% all dressed in costumes of one form or another. There are quite a few who crossplay with female outfits as guys. Im going to be crossplaying for the first time this Sept. I cant wait! Last time I went, I was dressed as Shawn from Shawn of the dead. I tell you what, riding on public transit when your shirt is covered in fake blood and you are carrying around a bloody cricket bat freaks people out. It was a blast though. Oh and for the record....if you ever see a Shawn from Shawn of the Dead at any convention....do NOT say "Youve got red on ya." You might just get punched in the face lol.
I havent decided what female character I will be going as, but you can bet ill be sharing pics when it happens!

NathalieX66
12-30-2013, 10:50 PM
I have two sides of me....besides my guy self, that is.

My feminine side, my female side....what ever you call it , is really a part of my identity which I live in real life at least 50% of the time, and I want everyone on the planet to know it. And I am perfectly comfortable and happy with identifying as transgender.

Going out in public dressed as female is just an affirmation of who I really am.

Switching wardrobes is a pain in the arse.

As for cosplay, I have a little girl side, which is kind of like Japanese lolita, or Harajuku, but not really. It is purely fantasy and escapism, and certainly makes mundane chores like doing housework a little less miserable. I just adore the outfits and all the trappings, but that's about it.

Kate Simmons
12-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Well, I like to role play sometimes. In fact I can be somewhat of a "ham" when I get into it. When I dress en femme however, I'm basically just myself. :battingeyelashes::)