PDA

View Full Version : what tragedy has taught me

Daphne Renee
01-01-2014, 10:18 PM
in the last 6 months I have lost both parents. This has brought the realization that I have to live my life while I can. Weather its cding or I choose to go forward with hormones . I have to chose what will make me happy. I cant wait around and say well maybe one day or when its the right time. I can choose to do what I think is best for myself. I think its something we all need to do. We can sit and worry about who knows we cd or who doesnt or just be who we are.
My dad talked for years about what he might do when he retires.. He didnt make it to retirement.

MissTee
01-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Sorry for your loss, Daphne. I'm sure it puts things in perspective for you. God luck!

Jessica giovanna
01-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Words can't express what that is like...it's true. You must live your life to what ever standard you set for your happiness...May you find peace within your soul to find your way in this life...good things shall come
Ms. G

rocketscientist
01-01-2014, 11:13 PM
I can understand completely how you feel. I lost my parents within 5 years of each other. It's not always easy to deal with. I was a basket case for a year after my mom died. She was my rock. I still miss her. Beyond that, I think there comes a time in everyone's life when they decide for themselves that they have to live for themselves, that it's time to stop worrying about what other people think and be true to ourselves. We eventually throw off our fears and once we do, we mostly find that those fears were more in our minds than in reality. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself".

Beverley Sims
01-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Daphne,
Losing both parents so close together does make it a hard road to tow.
Yes being top of the tree you have to look out for your self.
All the best in your endeavours.
I hope you make the right decisions, and I am sure you will.

LaraPeterson
01-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Daphne, I admire your brave outlook; I know your parents would be pleased even if they wouldn't understand. Keep a clear head and move forward toward the desires of your heart.

Sheila11
01-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Sorry for your loss. It is so amazing how life goes on. I hope you can go on with the attitude of living life. Go for it.

Chickhe
01-02-2014, 12:25 AM
I totally agree... I went through a life threatening experience and it really makes you think about how you are living...you have to do some things on your bucket list before you die. ...get over your fears, do what you need to do to move forward... you are not wrong for saying no sometimes and doing some things for yourself.

Katie_Did GG
01-02-2014, 12:51 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Katey888
01-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Daphne, I feel for you and you have my condolences. I have also lost both my parents in the last 2 years. During that time also, my wife has become almost totally disabled with an untreatable condition. I would totally support your approach to life and happiness - we all have to find a path that suits ourselves and then, hopefully, our loved ones - the rest of the world will just have to live with it.
My thoughts and wishes with you... :hugs:
Katey x

Cynthia Anne
01-02-2014, 07:03 AM
So sorry for your loss! It's a sad wake up call!
No one should put off till tomorrow what they can do today!
Tomorrow may never come!

barbaraclothes
01-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Sorry for you re losses Daphne, Keep you re chin up and keep moving forward.

JamieQ
01-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Daphne...I read your post and it is pretty much identical to my situation, but forward it 5 years. I have come to the conclusion that if I plan on doing something before its too late...then I need to act upon it...tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone...

kimdl93
01-02-2014, 08:06 AM
My father fretted about retirement, but like yours, he never made it. Turns out he needn't have worried so. Anyway, to your real point, our mortality is driven home when our parents pass. Life really is too short...don't put off choices or changes that can mean happiness. You may regret some choices later, but you'll regret missed opportunities too.

DaphneMiller
01-02-2014, 08:46 AM
I'm another who has gone through a similar period of adjustment.
About five years ago, my mum died, then a few years later my dad met someone else, and has now moved away to live in Asia.
I guess there was a part of me that decided I didn't have to hide my pastime as much. My mum had found out about me when I was in my teens, and while we talked about it, we never discussed it again. My dad would never be happy with it, so there was no chance of me 'coming out'.
Now I guess I'm more relaxed about accepting things the way they are.

Desirae
01-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. That's a lot for anyone to bear all at once. Those kinds of life events often make people start thinking about their own lives and happiness. I lost my dad several years back and I remember thinking about (and still do) exactly what your thinking about. Life is short. There's no doubt about that. As I said, I, too, thought about doing something more with my CDing, but, alas, it still hasn't happened. Sometimes life events can nudge people along a certain path, other times not. It sounds like that event(s) in your life is the impetus you need. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you inner peace and happiness. Good luck.

Cheryl T
01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
That's just what I decided about 10 years ago when I came out (again) to my wife. I told her it was something I needed to do to be me.
Life is too short and too tenuous to keep putting off till tomorrow.

Tracii G
01-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Losing a parent is really hard but both so close together would be terrible.
Soo sorry honey my heart goes out to you.
Do what you feel is best for you from this point forward.Good luck.

Daphne Renee
01-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Thank You ladies for your kind words. My dad died of renal cell carcinoma. on Jun 25. My Mom oral cancer on dec 25. I have been putting things off for far too long. I am not saying I am going to rush out and decide to get SRS or take hormones or whatever.. What decisions I do make though will be mine to make good or bad. I hope others will understand . If they dont then I am very sorry but I cant wait on them to be comfortable with it.

Vikky
02-10-2014, 10:08 AM
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Carpe diem - seize the day, life's too short.

Vikki

Patty F
02-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Sorry for your loss Daphne, do what's right for you life's too short.

Lynn Marie
02-10-2014, 10:25 AM
It's always so sad to hear about people waiting much of their lives to start living the life they really want. So many of us get trapped by obligations for so much of our lives. I've been fortunate to have enjoyed so much of my life and I have no regrets. Just glad I'm here now!

Kate Simmons
02-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Sorry for your loss Hon. As one who did make it to returement, I say do what you feel you have to do to be yourself. I finally did and I'm glad.:)

anaissa
02-10-2014, 11:41 AM
I am so, so sorry for your loss. It was a very painful way to learn a very valuable lesson. Cherish your memories of them and honor them by being exactly who you are. (Hug)

Marcelle
02-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Hi Daphne,

My condolences for your loss. It is never easy to loose someone close and family members are extremely difficult to loose. You can take some solace in the fact that their loss has awakened a sense of renewal and peace in you. I am sure they would be very happy for you.

Hugs

Isha

PaulaQ
02-10-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss hon. Mortality is a terrible lesson, but it does put things into perspective.

Glenda58
02-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Daphne
Sorry for your loss. Do what will make you happy life is short.

BLUE ORCHID
02-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Hi Daphne, Sorry to hear about your loss, Live your life one day at a time take care of your self.
I worked into my mid 60s' and been retired 5yrs. in two weeks loving life one day at a time.