PDA

View Full Version : Advice for the young here.

lingerieLiz
01-03-2014, 08:00 PM
I was talking with a 20 something about what he planned to do with his life. I told him to think about what he would do for free if he didn't have to worry about making a living. Go with your passion, not for the money.

It got me thinking about what I might have changed if acceptance was as good as today. I would have come out and dressed openly. I would have picked an occupation that allowed me to dress letting customers decide if they wanted to do business with me or not. There are a lot of jobs out there that live on customer loyalty. If you are good they will come. You can be a mechanic, tech, stylist or anything that people do repeat business with. Some may never come back others will come because of you.

I once went into a sign shop where one of the guys was obviously wearing a bra, you could see the lace through a very thin tee. I never mentioned it and when I saw him again he was wearing one also. He had the attitude if you don't like it go elsewhere.

In the end pick your lifestyle and your job from your dreams. You will be happier.

Stephanie Miller
01-03-2014, 08:56 PM
I liked some of your advice Liz, but feel some young ones take it a little too literal.
Reminds me of the old fairytale "Grasshopper and the ants". I happen to have been in touch with a couple of friends from high school a while back. We reminisced about classmates. There were two in particular that were quite aloof on their schooling because they were going to grow up and be pro football players. They should have payed attention in math class to learn the odds of being picked. Needles to say, neither are doing very well (to say the least) because of the choices.
So, I agree to follow your desire, but be realistic in the what the outcome may be and what you will need for the future to retire with.
Wearing or acting how you want may work for some, which I am glad for. But me... I, for instance, ride the fence on most things. No political or gun association stickers on the work vehicles. Not girls wear outside the controlled office. Its better for me to accept all customers and make twice as much rather than alliienate 50% and loose money. Outside of work.... Katie bar the door!!! :GD:

Beverley Sims
01-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Liz,
Sometimes it takes time to get your act together.

LaraPeterson
01-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Liz, I'm with you. I wish all the information available today on gender issues would have been available when I was much younger. I believe life would be much easier for me. I like the advice you gave about passion. I get to live that way every day--following my passion instead of the dollar. Fortunately for me, the dollars followed the passion. I just wish I could have spent more years in a skirt.