PDA

View Full Version : How soon did you go full time?

dreamer_2.0
01-05-2014, 08:49 PM
The title says it all. Did you go full time before HRT or after? If after, did you wait several months until the physical changes were significant?

My ever-changing plan is to present as male for as long as possible after starting HRT before going time. I'd like to try and minimize the man in a dress look as much as possible. The down side here of course is that it puts SRS off even longer.

Angela Campbell
01-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Not sure if I qualify as I am not full time yet, but I am a month or so away.

I still have to present as male at work due to ID issues and secure facilities. Otherwise I live as a woman.

My plan was to begin HRT first. Work on several things for a while such as facial hair removal, growing out head hair, voice and building a wardrobe, and then the next step is FFS (next wednesday) and the name change which is already started and I am just waiting for the final hearing. Once that name change is done I will get new ID and will never be anything like a boy again. I decided to begin transition last spring - April or May?

It is working pretty well as I am being gendered as female a lot now when I am trying not to, so waiting much longer would be difficult.

Other than work when did I start living as a woman? Well as soon as I told my family and employer. I couldn't wait.

I would recommend to get pretty far with facial hair removal before going full time as that is pretty hard to cover up. For me the genetals (srs) is not the biggest issue. Yes I will do it but living as a woman was what I craved mostly.

Most likely you will make a plan and once you start HRT that plan will be escalated. The closer you get the more you want it and the less you want to wait.

PaulaAnn
01-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Evening; I left my house for good on 22 Feb '13 .Arrived in Alberta that afternoon and walked in my Mum's place,gave her a kiss,and changed into a skirt.Never wore man clothes since. Started HRT that April.
PaulaAnn

SilkenPrincess
01-05-2014, 10:05 PM
I don't think HRT is a prerequisite to full time. However, I would strongly recommend having much of the facial hair dealt with beforehand. Breast forms can always be used, it doesn't make you less of a woman to do so. Many GG's pad themselves. But, facial hair can be a real problem in passing. And if you are going electrolysis you need to not shave for a day or 2 before a session. And it's not a great idea to shave after a session for a day. So, that makes 3 days out of the week when you have to deal with facial hair possibly being seen. In my own case, I started electrolysis in March 2010, started hormones in December 2011, and changed name and went full time in July 2012. I had notified my employer a month before beginning hormones in order for people to get used to the idea. I won't say it was easy at work, but it wasn't bad. On that schedule, I had all facial hair above my jaw line pretty much gone before going full time. Neck hair is easier to hide because it's in shadow anyway. At this time, I am almost complete on my electrolysis, having only a small area in the middle of my neck that has any virgin hairs left. I do 1 hour sessions once a week. I hope to be switching to every other week in a couple months, and complete in another year. Regarding the HRT... my main desire in HRT wasn't breasts, although I DO appreciate having them. I was mainly looking for the skin texture and fat distribution changes. At my age, (57), I didn't expect a great deal of breast growth. I have been pleasantly surprised. However, the skin texture differences are what helps me pass. That and attitude. I also found one aspect of HRT that I hadn't expected, at least to the degree I have. And that is the calming effect it had on me. The peace I found has been significant, and wonderful.
Steph

Inna
01-05-2014, 10:12 PM
good plan, transition is a treacherous voyage. Allow as fluid and soft transition by minimizing controversy. There will be plenty of that as it is.

Jorja
01-05-2014, 11:06 PM
I went full time the evening I was discharged from the Navy in 1980. I arrived home as Squiddly squid and went out for dinner as beautiful Jorja. He was never seen again. I had been on HRT about 11/2 years at that time.

Ann Louise
01-05-2014, 11:28 PM
I waited like four months into HRT to go full time. It was challenging, but it taught me alot about who I was (a transwoman), and helped make sure I was sure (that I wanted to go forward, unconditionally). Now I'm post FFS by about 2 months, never mistaken for a male, and it's on to stacking up a year RLE for another set of gatekeepers. No way I would have tried full-time pre-HRT, but that's me. Some girls are alot stronger than I am, that's for sure.

[Oh, I did complete a full round of facial laser first, too BTW]

FurPus63
01-06-2014, 12:13 AM
I left my wife in Feburary 2012. Lived part-time for about three months, 'till I just couldn't take it anymore. I was encouraged by a friend to talk it over with my boss and went full-time after being approved at work in May of that year. I start HRT shortly afterwards. I knew there would be changes to my body (boobs, etc....) and didn't want that to start happening 'till I was living full-time. My transition has been fantastic! I've gone through a lot but it's all been worth it as I am now as close to being a female as I ever will be. I mean, I look, act and live as a woman. If I could just have SRS to complete the process, I'd be happy, content and could just live my life. I want so bad to get this transition over with!

Paulette

thechic
01-06-2014, 01:05 AM
I went full time before I started my transition HRT etc, but after therapy, now over three years ago.

GirlieAmanda
01-06-2014, 02:27 AM
I went full time in August of 2011 while unemployed. Started electrolysis in Sept 2011, started HRT in Nov of 2011. Had the name change in progress, was seeing a therapist, name change, doc change, then got my first job as a female in April 2012. I am on my second job as a female now.

bas1985
01-06-2014, 02:39 AM
I am not 100% FT as I still present male for children and lawyers for divorce cause, but the rest of the days are "girl". I am not on HRT yet, but it seems for me that I am accepted as a "woman" in casual everyday life without a glitch, maybe it's genetic, maybe face, maybe voice. For me it was important to accept myself before hrt, because I did not want to start a lifelong cure of medicines without need. Now I am carving for them, but I have to wait the gatekeepers :(, but everyone is different. Do what you need (feel) to do.

Jamie M
01-06-2014, 03:31 AM
I did things a bit of a funny way around, was transitioned at work Oct '12, went completely full time Jan '13 and have only just been put on HRT a few weeks ago due to lovely NHS waiting times but I'm there now. HRT is definitely not a prerequisite for transition and I'd reckon you'd be waiting a long time on HRT for the effects to be noticeable, for me the wait would have been unbearable and once I knew and had accepted where I was going, I wanted that to start asap hrt or not.

BOBBI G.
01-06-2014, 07:30 AM
I, now, and have been, single for about three years now. I started living as myself not quite a year ago. Started eostrogen (sp?) in October and Spiro in December. The only regret is not having become me long ago. Family, friends, neighbors, and business associates, were notified soon after I started on the journey. My HRT is through the VA in Miami, Fl and scheduling appointments, due to work schedule, had been my only problem.

Bobbi

Aprilrain
01-06-2014, 07:42 AM
I started hormones January of 11, changed my name and went full time August of 11.

HRT takes a long time to change anything, especially physical. In all likelihood your sex drive/functioning will be the first to go. you'll probably start feeling tender in your breasts fairly soon but trust me you will not have visible growth for quite some time. After maybe 4 months or so you might start to feel the effects emotionally/mentally anything before that is placebo. Full breast growth and fat redistribution will take 3 to 5 years. All of this is assuming the hormones will do much of anything, after puberty its a real crap shoot.

As others have said hair removal will do far more for you in a shorter period of time than HRT.

I Am Paula
01-06-2014, 08:51 AM
I went full time a year before HRT. There was no conscious descision. I was spending a lot of time as Paula, and one day I looked in the mirror, and thought, 'I don't need to go back', so I didn't.
Waiting for HRT to feminize you might be a mistake, as you have no idea what kind of timeline your body chemistry, and your hormone regimen, will have. It took me six moths just to get the sore boobs.

MarciManseau
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
I went slowly as I was in college, and sort of moved into being full time about my third year. No one seemed to mind, all the reactions were positive.

When I turned 21, I started HRT and hair removal. Most suggest you wait until the hormones kick in so the hair removal will be a lot better. Have fun with it if you can. I know I did. Being a woman is sooooo much better!

Kimberly Kael
01-06-2014, 10:58 AM
I went full time long before I started HRT. I didn't like the idea that my womanhood was contingent on medical intervention, and I was getting read as female when presenting male so I wasn't that concerned about appearances.

Nigella
01-06-2014, 11:50 AM
I was 24/7 for 3 years before any form of therapy.

Angela Campbell
01-06-2014, 01:03 PM
I was getting read as female when presenting male so I wasn't that concerned about appearances.

Yes, when I noticed that I was being misgendered when trying to look like a man, I figured what was the reason to try anymore.

I Am Paula
01-06-2014, 05:10 PM
The last time I did drab I got ma'amed three times before 7 a.m. Despite ugly guy clothes, I made no attempt to cover my mucho blonde hair, or nice feminine fingernails.

Kaitlyn Michele
01-06-2014, 05:47 PM
So basically you can do it sometime before during or after HRT.... you can do it months or years before or after...

for what its worth, if you are focused on waiting for your body to change prior to going full time then you will be waiting a very long time.

If you look like a man in a dress, wear a better dress..

Carla Stevens
01-06-2014, 06:00 PM
I certainly won't be considering going fulltime until I get my facial hair removed. I've started with laser to sort out the dark hairs (something that is showing good progress), but I'm going to need electrolysis for the surprising amount of grey that I have. As has already been mentioned, having to go several days without shaving for electrolysis is not a good look when trying to present as female & I'm sure will knock your confidence.

Angela Campbell
01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
You do not need to complete the hair removal but it will help to get a good ways in. I have around 110 hrs or so of electrolysis and now without shaving I can go all week and you cannot see the hairs unless you look very close - I use a 10x mirror and I see the hairs but from a normal mirror I cannot see it and makeup covers up well. I still go in for about 2 hrs a week.

Frances
01-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Five months after starting HRT, but 2 years after starting hair removal.

dreamer_2.0
01-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Thanks for everyone's responses. There is definitely a diverse range of experiences and I appreciate hearing about all of them. :)

PaulaAnn
01-06-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm really fortunate in the fact I have a very light beard growth and that it is light in colour.That being said laser hair treatments are working very well.I have very little beard left and for those areas that are really sensitive to the laser ,use a skin deadener called EMLA.Works marvy.
PaulaAnn

DebbieL
01-06-2014, 11:44 PM
I was doing 120 hrs a week as female for almost 6 months before starting hormones. I also used laser & ILP to permanently eliminate darker facial hair. I had already grown a full beard and waxed it off to get rid of as much facial hair as possible before starting the 120 as femme.

By the time I started HRT I had handled most of the facial hair issues. I still have white hair growth, but that is easily removed. I also waxed arms, legs, and what little chest hair I had to eliminate most of that as well. I got an epilator to handle subsequent growth on arms and legs. Too intense for facial hair.

My wife took me for a manicure and pedicure and had me get gels - picking the color (almost flesh-tone with a very slight frost). Men didn't notice, but women did, and I would just say "I'm transgender and in the first stage of transition". I wore women's pants already, as well as women's shoes, and switched from dress shirts to feminine sweaters. I grew my hair out. I started "flying pretty" and had no problems with that. The turning point was when I was "presenting as male" (no make-up, no heels, no skirts) and people started saying "I can help you miss". A few months later, I had breasts that would "ping" if I wore a T-shirt, and showed a bit of bulge - just barely filling a 38-B bra. At that point, I got "ma'am'd" a LOT even with no wig, no bra, and androgynous street clothes.

By the time I was filling the B-cup there was no longer the option of trying to go to work as a man, so I asked people to call me "Rexy" instead of "Rex" and starting with a course, I started working as a girl full time. In the prior engagement, I still wore "pup tent" dress shirts to pass as male for a few days a month, and worked from home most of the time.

When I told my boss I was transitioning, he suggested that I put a more current picture on my corporate profile. I used a picture of me with long hair draping in a sweep across my forehead (hairspray to hold it), and I suddenly found that I was being presented to clients as "she" and "her". I went to the interview in full femme mode and they told me that they wanted to engage me. I'm not sure I completely passed, but they had a strong diversity program and appreciated that I was transsexual and transitioning.

The interesting thing is that my performance reviews have actually IMPROVED since I started going to work in more feminine styles. I was amazed at how much energy I put into maintaining the illusion of being a man, and how easy it was to be myself and listen better as a woman. When a man calmly tells me I need to consider an alternative, I find it so much easier to step back, listen to their proposals, and react supportively rather than defensively. It's actually good when men confront me in a calm voice rather than loud confrontations. I find myself getting better at keeping my voice softer and calmer to communicate and resolve issues.

When I started filling a 38-C I finally had to address the final groups. At this point, even with an unpadded bra, it was impossible to hide. Debbie came to thanksgiving dinner with my wife's family and for Christmas, ALL of the presents were for Debbie. The family actually LIKED DEBBIE BETTER!

At church, several women have actually told me they can't wait for me to show up in a dress. The first Sunday of 2014, Debbie went to church, and the Minister very subtly told the congregation that ALL of God's children are welcome at the table. I think there was only ONE person who wasn't smiling and happy to greet me after church, and that person gave me a wave and a smile on the way out. My breasts have been showing under my Choir robe for months, so it wasn't that big a surprise to anybody. Again, it was great to be accepted by my community.

Church was the last place Rex appeared, and at this point, I'ts pretty much Debbie everywhere I go. I do wear a wig because I do have too many thinning areas. My wife asked me if I'd thought about a weave, but I like not having to sleep on rollers and similar hair care issues. My wig matches my hair color, so I can blend my natural hair with the wig hair, especially in back. It makes wearing the wig more comfortable as well. I often forget to take it off until bedtime.

There are mornings when putting on my make-up seems like a bit of a bother, especially if I'm not going out. I have learned that I am more comfortable when I do it anyway.

Foxglove
01-07-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't think HRT is a prerequisite to full time.

I hope not.

HRT is definitely not a prerequisite for transition . . .

Oh, good, I haven't broken a rule.

I've been out full-time for a bit over a year now. I've changed my name and got most of my legal documents changed. But no HRT or electrolysis as yet. I'm considering starting HRT fairly soon. But I'm not pushed about that. I'm getting along alright for the time being, and I don't believe in going further until I'm ready for it.