PDA

View Full Version : Fighting my eyeliner

Irena
01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi girls,

Just sharing some of my eyeliner “frustrations” with you. Usually I my best friend does my eyes because she is really good at it. But girl should be able to do her own eyeliner right :battingeyelashes:. So yesterday I started practicing with my freshly bought own eyeliner. It turns out I ‘am going through “eyeliner puberty”. The result isn’t worthy of showing yet but I will keep on practicing so a can be a real girl later.

X, Irena

Jaylyn
01-06-2014, 04:38 PM
I learned by watching my wife applying hers. I'm sure you will get it down although mines not great yet after many years of practicing. Seems the older I get the worse it is getting. Lol

NicoleScott
01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Of course, the trick to getting eyeliner right is how you hold your mouth.
Yes, it takes practice, and perhaps the hardest thing to learn is to relax. Easier said than done, but with practice, confidence will come.

Kate Simmons
01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I was always terrible with eyeliner, especially top liner. What eventually happened is that I only do bottom liner. Works for me.:battingeyelashes::)

Stephanie Miller
01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Here's a tip that has helped me recently.....
The older I get.... the better it looks
The older I get AND then take off my glasses ...... even better
The older I get and take off my glasses THEN shut my eyes!!!!!! Voila THE BEST!!:cheer:

So there you have it. Get old quick and save all that practice :D

Eryn
01-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Eyeliner is tricky, and as you get older if your eyes get hooded it is even trickier as you have to use smudge-proof liquid eyeliner.

Liquid is unforgiving, so it is the first item I apply to a clean face. If I screw it up I can remove it without affecting the rest of my makeup. If I just get a stray bit somewhere I use a cotton swab dipped in eye makeup remover to clean it up.

After doing it for a while it becomes much easier. When I was first doing it every motion was an experiment and there were ample ways to screw up. Once you learn all the ways to screw up you tend to avoid them automatically. I don't even think much about it any more, just pull out the applicator and stroke it on.

Beverley Sims
01-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Doing it yourself is an acquired art. :)

Ciara Brianne
01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
The secret is the same for all makeup, practice. So I practice and practice, hoping that one day I too will master the basics. :)

darla_g
01-06-2014, 11:30 PM
I think Nicole's trick works well. The other thing i have heard and have tried successfully is to not do a continuous line with whatever liner you are using. Instead try doing a small but linked set of line segments to line your eyes. (you do remember your geometry right?)

the type of liner is also a big factor . Pen type liners and gels are the hardest. A soft pencil is probably the easiest. Many liners can look really nice smudged as well.

Erica Marie
01-06-2014, 11:33 PM
All I can say is when You figure it out, send me your secret. Eyeliner is my worst enemy.

AnnieMac
01-07-2014, 12:20 AM
A good trick I learned is that if you mess up applying eyeliner, you can "erase" the mistake or smudge with body lotion on a small Q-tip. Works great and has saved me some frustration when applying mine.

Nicole_
01-07-2014, 12:53 AM
I only recently started applying top liner too. My wife only does the bottom on herself. I like the look though, drawing more attention to my eyes draws attention away from my manly looking nose. Lol

jaye_cd
01-07-2014, 02:16 AM
I use my pinky to pull the top lid to the outside and just run it in a line across in one or two long strokes usually. Sometimes a lot of short strokes. It depends on the look/thickness I'm trying to achieve.

Samantha_Smile
01-07-2014, 09:21 AM
I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it
YouTube.
I learned most of my tricks there.
Just search for the term 'tutorial' after what it is you want to learn
ie
-Eyeliner Tutorial
-Contouring and highlighting tutorial
-Smokey eye tutorial

Get practicing, and keep some cuetips and makeup wipes handy

Krististeph
01-07-2014, 09:49 AM
When i use a pen type liner, startby wiping gently on a tissue to remove any outer 'crust'. You might warm the pen first between your thighs for a few minutes.
Next, using short and very light marks- build up the color. Short light marks minimize the chance for a dark ugly smudge. I counted one day, I used 40 light marks to get the color depth wanted.
My other method is to use a very thin chisel tip brush with regular eyeshadow. But you do not get a very deep color this way, so you can try wetting the brush ever so slightly (use distilled water) and picking up a very light dab of shadow on the bottom. Repeat until satisfied.

Lorileah
01-07-2014, 01:12 PM
the use of eyeliner is covered in several threads in the beauty section, when you get 10 posts you can read all about it