PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Reinforced Today

JustWendy
01-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Yesterday I stepped off a curb and heard a loud popping sound from my knee, which was accompanied by incredible pain. I felt fortunate that I could still make my way to my car and drive home. While I knew that I would have to get my knee checked out, I also felt fortunate that I had already removed the polish from my toes and that I’d have a chance to change my underwear before seeing my doctor. What I wouldn’t be able to do anything about was my hairless legs. I’m one of those members who remains indoors, lets the hair grow back for the summertime, and always books my annual physical during the summer months. Interestingly, maybe because of all the positive comments made by other members here, I was not at all apprehensive about my doctor seeing that I shaved my legs. She has given me my physical for almost 15 years now, so she knows how I normally look. Yet, as others have already said, when I met with her today, she never skipped a beat as I stretched out my legs on the examination table and pulled up both pants legs well above my knees so that she compare and judge the swelling. We had a good conversation about the diagnosis and treatment plan (no surgery, just exercises), passed a few pleasantries, and I was out the door and she was on to her next patient. Now I’m not saying I’m going to show up at my next physical in panties, but it is nice to have this small exposure out of the way.
The other thing that I guess I always knew but was reinforced today was how great it is to have a large selection of skirts in your wardrobe – especially when you have to wear a supporting device on your knee :) .

Wendy

CDKarissa
01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
This has always been a concern when getting dressed or shaving. Never knowing if I need to see the doctor for something and them wondering why I have smooth legs.

kimdl93
01-06-2014, 07:52 PM
So true...I'm sure she was so focused on your knee that leg hair or the lack thereof was irrelevant or unnoticed. Next time, step carefully off the curb!

JustWendy
01-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Kim, I wasn't even chewing gum at the time :D . It was just one of those freaky things. I'm sure you're right about the doctor. Although, as the vast majority of their practice is female, it's possible it just seemed normal.

stefan37
01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
And to be honest. your doctor could not care less about your painted nails. Our greatest fears are in our head. It really is a noon issue to many especially professional health care providers. b

Jackie7
01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
I was not en femme last November when I broke my arm by slipping on an icy walk, but now that you bring it up, yes, like always I was underdressed in panties and a camisole. I didn't give it a second thought and neither did any of the health pros who examined me. Or if any of them did notice, they gave no sign. I don't think anybody gives a damn, besides us poor confused crossdressers.

KaceyR
01-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Probably didn't care one way or other. (although she may have been thinking "great, no hair to block the view of things!" :) )
It's usually no big thing. I've been Anti-hair long before CDing in earnest.. and have been to docs fully shaven. Was funny even when I went in another time for a hernia operation (outpatient) and they were directing me saying "here's a shaver to shave the area" and I just replied "didn't need it" :)

Always did wonder though about accidents and clean underwear (parent's thought)-and why they never mention panties... heh :)

prettytoes
01-06-2014, 09:21 PM
I have had smooth legs for 3 years now. I have never had any negative comments from anyone- Doctors, nurses, no-one. My daughter is friends with the woman that owns the salon where I get my back waxed and she asked her if I get my legs waxed. She didn't tell her anything, but I don't. I just keep them smooth by shaving daily in the summer. My tattoo artist has commented "hey, there's no hair to shave". I told him I don't like hair on my legs...no big deal. I do, however remove toe nail polish when my feet will be exposed, and I have a few pairs of male underwear for Dr. visits.

Beverley Sims
01-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Well the doctor probably did not remember your leg from your last physical.

Maybe she thought it was going bald. :)

MissTee
01-06-2014, 11:45 PM
My legs stay shaved. Lots of people have seen them and I proudly wear shorts in the summer with my shiny, shaved legs. Not a peep from anyone. I'm thinking guys with shaved legs are so common now that it's the new normal.

Tina955
01-07-2014, 12:22 AM
I don't shave my legs and people have asked me if I shave them. They were hairier when I was younger, but almost entirely hairless now, with the exception of a little barely noticeable hair on my inner shin area. Funny thing, I've never been hairy anywhere but the top of my head and all my brothers are like apes.

Tina

Diane Smith
01-07-2014, 01:21 AM
I went into the ER in 2001 with chest pains, which turned into open heart surgery and nine days in the hospital. There was little time to prepare. Everyone who worked with me got a good view of my red toenails, acrylic fingernails and the brand new feminine tattoo on my shaved legs. Everyone was totally supportive, and there was one nurse in particular that I could tell (even in my somewhat dopey state) was kind of turned on by my toenails. We talked about polish colors and local nail salons several times during my stay.

I decided there was absolutely nothing I could do about the staff seeing all this, and decided to just treat it as normal. I did, however, take pains to make sure I was well covered up when work colleagues (including my boss) and friends who don't know stopped by to visit.

The medical professionals I dealt with were just that, professional in all respects. I've been totally open with my doctors about everything since then.

- Diane

KristinTX
01-07-2014, 01:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience.....I had a good encounter with my VA primary care doc last time through. He was checking both ankles and saw/touched my smooth legs and didn't bring it up or react in alarm.
During the winter months, I keep my legs shaved, so I was thankful for his lack of reaction. In fact, during my next checkup, I'm going to share my "secret" with him on the encouragement of my psychologist so we can talk about a hormone panel and possible referral to an endocrinologist. Always nice to hear the good stories too!

Marcelle
01-07-2014, 04:47 AM
I find today most people don't even bat an eye at guys who are shaved head to toe in some cases. It is more common than you think and not just in the realm of CD. But it is nice that things worked out for you . . . I hope your knee gets better soon.

Hugs

Isha

DAVIDA
01-07-2014, 06:14 AM
I have had several operations on different places on my body and they didn't have to shave anytime. I was already shaved.:)
Nothing has ever been mentioned.
It saves on what they charge for a razor!:eek:

Katey888
01-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Well the doctor probably did not remember your leg from your last physical.

Maybe she thought it was going bald. :)
Perhaps this could be some sort of developing CD-male-pattern baldness? Or is that just wishful thinking... :daydreaming:

JustWendy - I hope you're leg's feeling better now - and that you will gather some confidence from the way that others - particularly the healthcare professionals - respect you, your choices and your privacy. It's good to know that probably 99% of experiences should be like that. I've only underdressed recently and infrequently and I've never really worried about what might happen if I get hauled off to A&E - probably have other things on my mind as I know the last time I was in for kidney stones, I couldn't have cared less what I was wearing as long as they gave me MORE PAINKILLERS AND QUICKLY!! <agony>
Nice tale - thanks for sharing...
Katey x

Rita C.
01-07-2014, 06:37 AM
I shave my hole body and have developed some breast and I under dress all the time. So when I went to my doctor the first time right after I shaved my body the first time I was a little on edge about going, he could see the tan line from my bra, the first thing he asked is why I didn't wear my bra, that broke the ice, from there the whole world has changed about my dressing as a girl, I even go to my app. dressed, his hole office staff love to see Rita come in. we are even going to have a make up party.

gautier_nikolai
01-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad it is something that can be sorted through exercises alone.

Yeah it's cool now with metrosexual man around hairless pretty much everything is so common among 30's and under.Hairy guys are the exception so i'm sure she didn't bat an eyelash.Probably would have been more freaked out if you were all hairy with hairy back n all.Even amongst women that go for hairier guys even they have their limits i hope!

DaphneMiller
01-07-2014, 07:59 AM
As others have said, plenty of guys have their legs waxed or shaved these days. I doubt anyone cares.

I had to have a hernia operation some years ago, and decided that I didn't want some stranger shaving a small patch off my tummy, so I did my entire chest and stomach myself beforehand. I thought that a small 'clearing in the forest' would just look stupid, and that it would be better to just go the whole hog. Turns out for the operation I had, they don't even bother shaving you anymore.

I do like having my chest clean shaven, but the stubble is there within a day or two. Waxing is a possibility...

Daphne

Karen kc
01-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Me and my grand daughter were watching Animal Planet over the holidays, they were featuring the " naked mole rat". Grand daughter says," thats you ppaw, a naked mole rat". Out of the mouths of babes!!! lol

Sarasometimes
01-07-2014, 08:31 AM
She could have at least thanked you for shaving so it was easier for her to compare your two legs. Very thoughtful of you to do that. I agree shaved legs on a male isn't too unusual but painted toes still are. Especially with nail art.

I Am Paula
01-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Not the medical profession, nor anybody else, cares about the state of your hairlessness, what you wear for underwear, of the color of your toenails. It is you that has a problem with it.

JustWendy
01-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences. Hearing your stories continues to reinforce what I thought was true but stressed about anyway. For the past year, I have been wearing panties most days and paint my toenails occasionally, so an emergency visit to the hospital will prove as interesting for me as it has for some of you. After hearing your stories and my own small experience, I think I’ll be fine, if that should ever happen.

I already see improvement on my knee – swelling is way down and I’m hobbling around pretty good without a crutch or cane. I’ll continue icing it throughout today, I’m doing my exercises, and I’m keeping it wrapped, so, as I said, it’s a lot more convenient wearing a skirt than pants.

Thanks, Wendy

Claire Cook
01-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Kim,

Thanks for sharing this. My experience has been no different from others who have gone to the Dr's underdressed, and my arms and legs are shaved.. No one has batted an eye that I wear a bra and panties (my doctors know that I CD). Last week I had an echo cardiogram done -- the assistant (male) didn't give me a second look when I took my bra off. My chest is shaved, and I wonder if that made the sonogram procedure easier (certainly more comfortable when he ripped off the tape pieces!). I have an EKG today, and considered doing it dressed, but for now I'll just be underdressed. (Am I chickening out?) Anyways, the responses to this post so far indicate that this is no big deal -- nurses and MD's have probably seen it all.

All the best with the knee rehab -- a great reason to wear skirts!

Alice B
01-07-2014, 08:52 AM
My doctors have seen both my shaved legs and painted toe nails.And this is thru 2 knee replacements and now a hip replacement. Never a word said.

rachael.davis
01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Doctors go through intern / residency at hospitals as part of their education. After a couple of Friday nights in the emergency room doctors and nurses are pretty hard to shock.

JustWendy
01-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Claire, I’m not particularly hairy in the chest area, but a couple of years ago before I started removing my chest hair year-round, I had an EKG. The woman doing the prep actually seemed upset that I wasn't hairless and made a comment as if it was a bit revolting to her. She even made me remove the suction cups myself at the end of the test. I guess everyone will be a lot happier the next time a test is needed :).

Wendy

Jaylyn
01-07-2014, 10:43 AM
It has always been a very big concern of mine also about what the doctor would find me wearing underneath when I underdress if I had an emergency. Being from a community where every body knows every one it would at least be embarrassing to be picked up by the ambulance crew and before they even reached the hospital have every one in town be saying " Can y'all believe he was wearing pink panties and panty hose"? So far I have been lucky like Wendy and have been able to get myself to the doctor but it has many times when I'm working and am underdressed crossed my mind. I'm lucky at my age that my leg hair is not too much a problem anymore but the clothing could be.

EllieOPKS
01-07-2014, 10:50 AM
JustWendy - I am really glad that your knee will only need physical rehab. I had similar experience a few years back, slipping on the and going down hard. Unfortunately I tore my acl and lcl. Take care and be careful on the ice.
Ellie

steeve
01-07-2014, 11:17 AM
A few years back I had the misfortune to need immediate medical attention,....spine issue, the ambulance arrived, and there's me on the floor in acute pain... painted toe nails and fingers, Basque, stockings , forms, etc, I was to much in pain to care , and seems that no one else cared, no neg comments or looks,.

Barbra P
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Hi Wendy

“We have met the enemy . . . and he is us” Pogo. I don’t have to shave my legs very often, advancing years and Type II Diabetes has taken care of the fur that I used to have on my legs, now only a few wild hairs up around my knees. Ergo, my legs look shaved to anyone observing them.

I’ve worn toenail polish steadily now for over 2 ½ years. Been to the Doctor’s Office on numerous occasions, two surgeries, and a visit to the E.R. My Doctor complimented my polish color during one visit, so I now have an idea of what color she likes – Poppy Pink. My Doctor is in a Family Practice Module with I believe four other Doctor’s. The waiting area is never empty and when it is someone’s turn to see their Doctor a door will open and their name is announced and they get up and proceed through the door. When it is my turn the door opens and a Nurse, my Doctor’s Nurse, walks into the waiting area, looks around, and walks over to me, “Hi Mr. Last-Name come with me and I’ll take you back.” I don’t know why she comes and gets me, but maybe she likes my toenail polish. I don’t under-dress but this being Southern California I do wear sandals year round.

To date I’ve never received a negative comment and the few comments I have received for the most part have been compliments or a question or two asking what brand polish and what is the name of the color.

BillieJoEllen
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
I workout at a local gym and I have noticed that very many men not only shave their legs but they shave their entire bodies also. As far as I can tell none of them CD.

LaraPeterson
01-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Hi Wendy, I a so sorry to hear about your injury. I hope the rehab goes well and fast.

I haven't had any body hair--head to toe--in years. Add to that, I go to a tanning salon regularly during the summer months (I know, I shouldn't be going to those places). So my legs, whether in male or female mode, are almost always tanned, slick, and shiny (I use moisturizer all over).

The only comments I've ever gotten is how nice my legs look. You need not worry about what a doctor thinks. As others have stated, they've pretty much seen it all--and had their hands on it.