PDA

View Full Version : Clear Nail Polish Suggestions

pattied
01-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Hello Ladies,

This is my first post, so let me start by saying how wonderful it is to find that I am not alone and that there are so many beautiful people in here giving advice and sharing their thoughts.

With that said, let get to the meat of my post:
I am new to wearing nail polish. I love the look and feel of it, to be sure, but due to my job, I must maintain my outward maleness during the work week. Thus I have been wearing clear polish. Problem is, the polish doesn't stay on long. I am a chemist, and I do the dishes at home, both of which require my hand be exposed to water (or other chemicals) for long periods of time. I can avoid the chemicals with gloves at work, and have considered wearing gloves at home when doing the dishes, but would really rather find some polish that is more able to resist the exposure, if possible. Suggestions?

Fallen Angel
01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
theres a nail coat called as hard as bull and that does stay on a long time with out peeling and it also helps with the growth of nails hope this helps xxx

Wendy me
01-05-2006, 01:22 PM
or you could reapply it as needed think of it as a treat to yourselfe...something you do for you fem side....

pattied
01-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Those suggestions are wonderful.

Angel- I like the 'hard as bull' concept. I'll have to look into it.

Wendy - it is a treat and I do enjoy takign the time to amper and paint, but sometimes life has other ideas for my time...:( Great suggestion though!:)

Lisa Golightly
01-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Darling, a girl simply should never do the dishes without gloves. Think of the damage you are doing to your skin. Remember always apply moisturiser after washing your hands to keep them soft :)

BeckyAnderson
01-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Hi Patti.....I use QTICA nail growth stimulator and a product that I pick up at CVS called "Out the Door". QTICA, by itself is very durable but to insure its durability I put "Out the Door" on top of it. BTW, "Out the Door" flows on very smoothly and dries very, very quickly. I also use "Out the Door" on top of my colored nail polish for a girls night out, it's very glossy.

pattied
01-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Lisa-
I always moisturize after washing my hands, doing dishes or the like. And maybe I should purchase gloves... I do want natural nails, not press-ons or acrylics.

Becky-
Thank you for the product tips!!!

Felicity
01-05-2006, 04:29 PM
OK, how are you maintaining a male appearance with shiny clear nails?

Anyway, if that's what you want, I suggest getting one of those four colored polishers they have in the costmetics departments. They are thicker and about the size of an emery board. Some of them have three colors and come with emery boards. I don't know what they are called, but the first colored abrasive shapes your nails smooth, then there are three stages of polishing with them. When you get to the fourth, your natural nails will be smooth and shiny and since it is your natural nails buffed to a high shine, it stays intact!

DanaJ
01-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Felicity, that is called a 3 or 4 way buffer :) You can get them pretty cheaply too, I just bought 15 for $10 ;) If your polish is peeling off that easily, it could be other factors. What do you do before you put the polish on? Could you describe your procedure of polishing your nails?

pattied
01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
OK, how are you maintaining a male appearance with shiny clear nails?

No one notices my nails, largely because I am wearing lab gloves...

And if the rest of me looks male, and I sound male... a duck is a duck, even in goose feather.;)

Jodi
01-05-2006, 09:54 PM
I get my nails professionally manicured every 2-3 weeks. I use clear "Nail Envy" by OPI. I apply a top coat every other day. It keeps my nails bright and shiny and strong. As for it showing--I do volunteer work with teenagers. If and when they comment, I just say I get my nails professionally done. No big deal.

Jodi

Deanna2
01-06-2006, 01:33 AM
I use 'Sally Hansen' 'Hard as Nails' clear polish all the time and have no trouble with it peeling or flaking off. It is even difficult to get off with nail polish remover. I usually only do my fingers and leave my thumbs without polish as thumbs are much more obvious than fingers. I've been doing that for several years and only one person (a female cousin) has commented on the fact that my nails look 'shiny'.

Robertacd
01-06-2006, 09:29 AM
I recomend Revlon Double Twist. Clear under/overcoat lasts forever.

Sedona
01-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I go with MAC underlaquer, followed by two coats of their overlaquer on my toes. Wears like iron. If you want a color on occasion, simply put a couple of coats between the over and under (one coat of over should be fine).