PDA

View Full Version : Dentist appointment coming up

Cheyenne Skye
01-08-2014, 04:38 PM
I've noticed on a few forums that a lot of people are concerned how to approach new doctors about their situation (usually due to insurance changes). I have a similar situation approaching. My six month checkup with my dentist is in a few weeks. However, I have been going to him for about 6 or 7 years now. But I haven't seen him in six months. I think I've changed quite a bit since then. When I last saw him he did ask to update my medical history. I added my HRT to the medicine list. I think what I'm most concerned about is that moment when the dental technician comes out to the waiting room and calls my (male) name. Since I haven't legally changed my name yet, is there a way to avoid this. Should I maybe call the office in advance and explain the situation and tell them my preferred name?

It was so much easier with my other doctors. They all work at the same clinic that is well known for treating the GLBT community.

Joan_CD
01-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Hi,

When you get there just tell the receptionist you prefer to be called Miss, Ms, Mrs or the name you chose. I did that for my mammogram and had no problem.

Chickhe
01-08-2014, 04:59 PM
I would change dentists...or call them to let them know. It might be uncomfortable in person to ask the receptionist if other people are in the waiting room.

Aprilrain
01-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I just changed dentist.

Ann Louise
01-08-2014, 10:46 PM
I walked in to my dentist's office unannounced dressed in a nice office-casual skirt and top, handed them a copy of my name change court order, told them I was transsexual, and inferred rather clearly that I expected to be addressed and treated as the woman that I am. Even though you don't have a name change order yet, a similar approach might work for you, too. I found it was good practice for later, leading up to RLE. We need a real thick skin. Good luck dear, Ann

Daphne Renee
01-09-2014, 01:10 AM
I dont know much about this.. I would think you could just tell them you prefer to be called by your female name. I would think most places would be happy to oblige to keep their patients happy.

I Am Paula
01-09-2014, 10:19 AM
All my doctors, my dentist, the bank, and the service dept. at KIA motors, etc. have made a note on my records to call me Paula. They were all glad to help, and ease their own confusion. Last year, at a walk in clinic, they were calling patients- Bill...Janet...Bob...(look at me, look at chart) Last name XX. Good quick thinking on their part.

steph1964
01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
I just notified them ahead of time and I have had no problems. I went to a new optometrist recently, I moved so it wasn't reasonable to go to the old one. I told the person on the phone that I am a transsexual and although my insurance is under one name I prefer Stephanie. When I went to the appointment, and since to pick out and later pick up up my glasses, they have only referred to me as Stephanie.