PDA

View Full Version : Just Legally Changed My Name

steph1964
01-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Today I had my court hearing to legally change my first and middle name to Stephanie Jane. I filed the paperwork with the court in mid-December so once everything was filed it didn’t take very long to get the hearing. There were four other people also changing their name, none were transsexual, and I was the last one on the docket. When it was my turn the judge called me up and swore me in. He asked me a couple of questions about if I had pending criminal charges or was trying to avoid debt, the same questions as he asked the others, then he granted the order. It was very straight forward and went without a hitch.

Once I left I headed to the Social Security Office but I got there right at 3:30 and they were closing so they wouldn’t let me in. My doctor provided me with letters about my gender change so I will be changing that also. I can’t get my Arizona driver’s license changed until I change my name with Social Security so I will try again tomorrow. I did go to the two credit unions where I bank and had them change my name. They both had no problems doing it and reissued my debit cards on the spot. Having a debit card with a male name always bothered me so I am very happy that I got that done. I also notified my apartment complex management.

It was an exciting day!

KayleeTaylor
01-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Congratulations :D Sounds like you had a real good day!!!

Ann Louise
01-08-2014, 10:42 PM
That's so cool Stephanie! I ticked them off one by one, too, just like you're doing. My last and final victory was my submission two days ago to my home state for my name and gender change on my birth certificate. I cried like a baby when the US passport, and the birth certificate people turned me down the first times on technicalities. REAL picky wording on those letters, that's for sure. Congratulations! Ann

Jorja
01-08-2014, 10:43 PM
WoooooWoooooo, the Stephanie train is coming through! Get the he!! out of the way.;)

stefan37
01-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Congratulations. That was the easy part, now to change all the little stuff. There will be things you need to change, you will not even think about until you discover and say Oh I forgot about that one. Be prepared for a long process.

MarciManseau
01-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Good for you :) It's s really special day. I felt like it was another birthday when I had mine changed. The best is yet to come.

Jennifer Marie P.
01-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Congrats looks like you had a fun day.

Foxglove
01-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Well done, Steph! I remember the day I got my name changed. It was a good one.

It's really exciting, too, when you start getting mail in your new name or when you're dealing with people via email in your new name. It makes you feel like you really are who you are.

Dana M
01-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Congratulations Stephanie.

JustWendy
01-09-2014, 03:11 PM
That's wonderful news, Steph. I hope 2014 holds many more happy moments like this for you.

Wendy

steph1964
01-10-2014, 03:51 AM
Thank you everyone!

I cried like a baby when the US passport, and the birth certificate people turned me down the first times on technicalities. REAL picky wording on those letters, that's for sure. Congratulations! Ann

I had the same experience today at the Social Security Office. She was being very picky and it became very obvious that she was looking for a reason not to accept it. But my doctor had written it word for word the same as the sample on their website so she finally had to take it. I posted the details on a separate post.

Angela Campbell
01-10-2014, 05:58 AM
I have my court date in about 2 weeks so I am not far behind you!