PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Scale

Krististeph
01-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Here i was, thinking i was losing so much weight. Well, the scale finally died (digital) and I bought a new one, calibrated it to a NIST traceable known, and well, I did not lose as much as I thought. Still a ways to go, but I am still under 160, and trending down, slowly.

Grrrrr..... the old scale was indicating less and less before it died. I want to beat it to bits with a hammer.

Oh well, gives me some goals to keep working for I guess. A few more days of self pity and then i'll jump back into the fray.

Guess that's what you get when you buy consumer quality products- no guarantee of consistent performance.

Oh well, at least the higher quality dresses I bought this year are still holding together- good thing too because I had to replace my old sewing machine a year ago and now that is acting up as well.

It's getting harder and harder to crossdress effectively, it seems to me.

CarlaWestin
01-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Technology is conspiring to get you. Evidently, your scale and sewing machine have been talking to each other. But, what's their agenda?

Katey888
01-11-2014, 11:21 AM
If it makes you feel better to beat the dead scale to death with a hammer - you set to it! Vent some frustration and burn a few more calories in the process... win-win :D
But spare a thought for the Chinese farmer's son who put the scale together in the first place - probably with a hammer :)
Oh, and then try and buy anything like that made in USA (same problem for us over here...) I can't abide the throwaway stuff that comes over .... perhaps a bit off topic. :surrender:
Katey x

Jennaristow
01-11-2014, 12:33 PM
I too know about " the scale". Mine seems to not want to co operate. I have lost twelve pounds, now climbing again. Damn scale as its not my eating habits. LOL.

Beverley Sims
01-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Kristeph,
We all have our upsan downs.
Just don't stay down too long just encourage the weight to do that. :)

JocelynJames
01-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Sometimes the weight gain is merely muscle gain even if its lean muscle. Remember ladies, muscle will burn fat even at a rest. Toning is far better than dieting alone. Pilate's and yoga and hi intensity aerobics and you'll be long and lean. And yes I have a stupid scale too. Funny, but I actually lost weight while on vacation weeks back and gained it back when I went to work. Stupid sit down job! JJ

NicoleScott
01-11-2014, 04:38 PM
When I was weighed at a doctor's office, I went straight home (no drink / no pee) to check my home scale. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust a home scale that the weight was correct, but I would give it some credibility for letting me know if/how much weight was lost.

Stephanie47
01-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Weight is not necessarily a measurement of health or outer beauty. I don't know if my household scale gives a true reading, but, it does adequately indicate ups and downs. I leave the analysis of what I should weigh to my muscle tone.

CynthiaD
01-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I love my home scale. It weighs five or more pounds less than the doctor'a scale! Who cares if it's correct?

LaraPeterson
01-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Kristi, are you trying to lose weight to get in a dress and look more girly, or are you trying to lose weight to be healthy. If it's just the girly thing, you're probably gonna hammer more than one scale. If it's a matter of fitness, you already know you can't trust the scale. How your clothes fit is a much better "scale" of how you are doing than the pound-o-meter. BTW, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, it's just smaller. Take care of yourself.

Teresa
01-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Hi Krististeph, Scales lie all the time, I know when I take my glasses off I loose half a stone ( 7lbs.)

Krististeph
01-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for the comments. I almost deleted the message after i wrote it, it is just whining on my part.

Firstly, yes, i am sure the scale and the sewing machines were working in concert to get me. I would find little trails of thread leading to the bathroom, so i know they would meet when I was out. The agenda? A fair question, and one that in recent weeks has been much on my mind. It's my considered opinion that they are nesting.

Anyway...

I am trying to lose a little weight for both reasons- fit into clothes better and be healthier- mostly I want to get rid of the sub-q fat around the belly, and that takes limiting fat intake and forcing the body to use up that fat. But i'm doing it very slowly, so as not to crash diet and vary up and down. I just thought I had finally broken through and reached a goal. Oh well, it's only a few pounds, and this way i'll be less tempted to slack off on eating properly.

I wanted to drop some weight first before starting at the gym, because I always build muscle at the gym. But I already started, so now my weight is going to matter less, but the waist size and tummy fat will be the indicators. I've decided to keep the weights lower though, so that I will be working through 30-50 reps rather than 10-15 reps- I'll try toning the muscle first rather than building it. Less chance of pulling anything as well, as I get older.

One thing I would like to add though about body weights- I know mine can fluctuate 5-8 pounds easy depending on how I've eaten, and the level of hydration i'm at. I can easily sweat out enough water on a warm day after a 50-60 mile ride to have a net loss of 4-6 pounds, despite drinking in 5 to 8 pounds of water (one gallon (fresh) = 7.24 pounds, or about 0.9 ounces weight for a fluid ounce of water). So it is important when weighing one's self for the record to weigh at the same condition every time. First thing in the morning usually for me, but even that can vary. But the most important part is to try to keep the conditions similar, whatever they are, and secondly to get a large population of data, preferably annotated as to the conditions, food intake and output, and fluid state. my best weights at home are usually mid afternoon since i usually just grab a small glass of juice or milk in the morning, and work through to 1-2 in the afternoon before stopping to eat or rehydrate.
Thanks again for all of your shoulders to lean on, you all make this one of the best sororities ever!

FemmeElastique
01-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I hate my scale right now too.

Eryn
01-13-2014, 09:24 PM
When I was weighed at a doctor's office, I went straight home (no drink / no pee) to check my home scale.

Medical scales are reasonably close, but they are by no means perfect.

Kristi definitely gains geek cred with NIST calibration!

My scale is a Heathkit digital scale I assembled myself in the late '70s. The scale was calibrated by using the platform casting as a calibration mass.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/3/2/7/0/8/6/a4296208-103-100_5913.jpg

The presence of that scale resulted in a lot of guests lingering in my bathroom back in the day. The novelty of the digital display and the fact that it was accurate to 1/10 pound meant that you could weigh yourself, "do your business" and then measure exactly how much business you did! :)

KaceyR
01-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Hah.. now there's a name you don't hear often anymore (Heathkit). Built several things from them in the past. (ham radio-2m mobile), testers, and co-built one of those CP/M based robots in school.

Myself, I've been lucky... been limiting my foods more over this last month or so. stopped all pop and smaller eating amounts, and have dropped to lowest in decades.. 162. (usually got down to 164-5 w/strong excersize/walking). Trying to get this front-belly down. Unfortunately I think I've lost a bit now that puts even more oddity with my belts needing more notches made to work. (but if I get a smaller belt, then I'll have issues after a good dinner...:))

My mom had thought her scale was off that it was too low... but she just went to doc last week, turned out to be spot on.
But she's still got her stomache..so she's unsure where weight loss is at...prob muscle.

Tracii G
01-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Take it to the range and blow a few holes it it.