PDA

View Full Version : Will this help?

Allisa
01-12-2014, 03:10 PM
I've noticed of one common thread asking about weight loss and/or feminizing of the body. First off I am no medical professional, just passing along my story of weight loss. Let me start by saying that at 5'-7",200lbs.,waist of 40"with high colesteral and hypertension I needed to do something for my health and consequently for my CDing and my "femme" well being. Of course this took over 5 yrs. and a lifestyle change. Little to no alcohol, red meat maybe 2 meals a week ,lots more veggies(not potatoes)steamed not boiled whenever possible, fruits when in season mostly melons and berries, sugar replaced with honey and Truvia, the use of "safflower" oil in place of vegetable oil in cooking and Pam spray for frying and cooking pans, cutting way down on salt intake like soups, processed foods ,lunch meats, etc.. breakfast allways to start the day and pepper sauce(tobasco) to jump start the digestive system on my eggs and turkey sausage but not in my Cheerios. Find an exercise you enjoy(I like walking in the woods).I am now 145lbs.,a 32" waist, low colesteral and a b/p of 125/70.With a better diet my hair is healthier and growing faster, my skin is more supple and my being is happier which I believe is a big part of my "femme" self. On a final note we were born male and are predisposed to that end, without surgery and/or hormone use we need to trick the eye into what it sees and perceives.

LaraPeterson
01-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Hi Allisa, your nutrition plan sounds very healthy. If you want to continue on your weight-loss journey and overcome plateauing, be aggressive in your exercise plan and mix it up. Don't do the same exercises all the time. . .but do plenty. Make sure to include cardio and strength training and vary your workout plan to cause muscle confusion. That way, you'll be able to stay "tight" in all the right places.

Allisa
01-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi Lara,thanx for the tips, but I am in one of the construction trades that require physical activity every day which is how I was confused about gaining weight and getting that big.

AlyssaS
01-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Weight loss is basic mathematics. Calories IN < Calories OUT.

For guys, 3500 calories is usually around 1 pounds. So you have to undercut your calorie burn by about 500 each day to lose 1 pound a week.

I would recommend getting a calorie tracking app -- I used myfitnesspal -- and just see what your target needs to be to maintain weight. It's going to be different for everyone based on activity and metabolism. My target was 2000-2200 calories, and I went from 300 to 235 in just over a year.

If weight loss is the sole goal, carbs vs protein vs fat does not matter. Calories are calories. I found it easiest to run around 25-30% of calories from carbs, 40% from protein, and 30-35% from fat -- fat calories are more filling, so you don't feel as hungry as often. If there are other health issues, you might need to change that up.

Good luck. You can do it :)

NikiMichelle
01-12-2014, 04:55 PM
I too must thank my femme side for getting my weight and general health in line. At 5' 10" I was pushing 180 lbs and my CD'ing was getting frustrating as my clothes were not fitting and I was just not looking like the girl I wanted be like. I have been slim my whole life except once I moved into the 50's I started this slow process of an expanding waistline!

I could no longer wear many of my favourite skirts so that was it...time to lose the jelly-belly and get in better shape.

Through yoga, running and all sorts of summer and winter sports I am down to 165 and a <32 " waist. I also eat much healthier, less quantity and have reduced the beer, wine and rum intake. I feel great, get comments on my shape (as a man) and most importantly those favourite skirts can be worn again!! Thanks to being a CD...

Andi.Devine
01-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Between the wife and I, we have been on many different diets to take off some extra weight when needed. Of course we always shed the unwanted pounds, didn't matter the diet, because we lowered our calorie intake and/or increase our activity level. However; of all the diet types, the Low Carb type achieved the desired results much quicker over the short term.

There have been quite a few studies done comparing "Low Carb" to "Low Fat" and it seems to be quite consistent that "Low Carb" works a little quicker.

The following link has a table and additional links to more information comparing 18 different studies:
http://tomnikkola.com/what-do-18-studies-say-about-low-carb-diets/

AlyssaS
01-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Between the wife and I, we have been on many different diets to take off some extra weight when needed. Of course we always shed the unwanted pounds, didn't matter the diet, because we lowered our calorie intake and/or increase our activity level. However; of all the diet types, the Low Carb type achieved the desired results much quicker over the short term.

There have been quite a few studies done comparing "Low Carb" to "Low Fat" and it seems to be quite consistent that "Low Carb" works a little quicker.

The following link has a table and additional links to more information comparing 18 different studies:
http://tomnikkola.com/what-do-18-studies-say-about-low-carb-diets/

Low Carb works quicker because fats fill you up more, so you are less likely to cheat and go over your caloric goal for the day by snacking. If you are going to have 800 calories -- better to make it a double cheeseburger than chicken over pasta.

Ciara Brianne
01-12-2014, 07:00 PM
For those who wish to lose weight and keep it off it is best to change one's diet permanently, not go on a diet. Going on a diet implies that one will eventually go off said diet. I have seen this in many people. They go on a diet, lose weight, go back to their old dietary habits and gain it back. I do not like the low carb no carb diets. The human body needs carbohydrates to function. the key is to choose the right carbs. Whole grains are the key. They still have the fiber intact. Processed carbs are bad. Adding fiber to your diet can aid in weight loss. We were meant to eat whole foods not processed junk. Processed foods are lower in nutritional value leading the body to crave more of them to fill its nutritional needs, but what you really get by eating more is too much fat and too many calories.
I, too, am in the construction industry. Although it would seem we are active enough it is not really exercise, it's work. One of the keys to weight loss is increasing the heart rate fora certain amount of time. During a day of construction there is heavy lifting that builds muscle and constant activity that tires us out, but we are not really increasing our heart rate for a desirable period. This type of work is actually more detrimental to health than it is beneficial.

Ciara

Tina_gm
01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Good overall suggestions. Some people though are different, and some can eat a lot of red meat, and some may have a better tolerance to sodium. One thing that is crucial and usually not stressed nearly enough is exercise. Athletes actually eat far more than the average person. But yet have far lower BMI numbers. Generally eating healthy of course, but still, people struggle and suffer so much through "dieting" where they could ease off some of the struggle and exercise more.

bridget thronton
01-13-2014, 03:02 AM
Congrats Allisa

suzy1
01-13-2014, 04:07 AM
I have a completely different approach to weight loss, heath and fitness myself Allisa.
As someone that has studied evolution for many years I started to treat my body as it was’ designed’ by nature or by evolution to be treated.
We have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years and its only over the last few years relatively speaking that we have mistreated ourselves both in what we eat and how we use [exercise] our bodies.

Fifteen years down the road and I am the living proof of my convictions.

Katey888
01-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Allisa - it's a great success story for you - congratulations! :cheer:
And plenty of good advice otherwise - I know I need to trim that post-Christmas surplus a bit... I'm intrigued by Suzy's strategy - I wonder if she will let us in on the secret...? :thinking: Suzy....? Do share more... :)
Katey x

suzy1
01-13-2014, 08:59 AM
I'm intrigued by Suzy's strategy - I wonder if she will let us in on the secret...? :thinking: Suzy....? Do share more... :)
Katey x

Thank you for asking Katey.
To explain it all in detail would take a lot of time although I would be happy to do so in a P.M.

Up until recently [the last 6,000 years or so] we lived our lives naturally. Now we don’t. There is nothing natural about refined sugar for example, or white bread, or any processed food. There is nothing natural about having ‘set’ meal times as apposed to only eating when we are really hungry.
There is nothing natural about jumping into our cars to go a mile down the road to the shops.
Our lives are such that over the long term we begin to damage our bodies resulting in premature aging and many [perhaps most] of the chronic illnesses we see today.

Sorry, I do go on but I know I am right because I have proved it [on myself] and because it is plain common sense, well it is to me.

Beverley Sims
01-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Allisa,
I think you have given us all a good two cents worth. :)

Good advice for some of us to follow.

Stephanie47
01-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Nice job of losing weight and feeling better. For those of you who are young, please do not let yourself go. There are serious medical conditions that can occur before you realize it due to weight gain and poor dietary choices.

teri g
01-13-2014, 06:18 PM
suzy1, my dietary choices have led me to a mostly vegetarian menu (some fish, turkey at the holidays) but along the way (I'm in my 60s) I developed the same philosophy about our dietary heritage. Furthermore I believe that there is an ethnic component to it as well. For 10s of thousands of years our ancestors subsisted on a very simple diet comprised of what was available locally so our genetics have been programmed accordingly. It would take a book to discuss the negative impact food processing and distribution has had on our collective health, something to discuss elsewhere. But there's a personal balance that everyone should strive for that will yield optimum health and well-being and it sounds like Allisa may have found it. Allisa, I couldn't agree more. We can't change our dna but we can fool the eye.

Deedee Skyblue
01-13-2014, 06:33 PM
The problem with low carbs is if you do go back to eating carbs regularly it is like eating lead.

Deedee

suchacutie
01-13-2014, 10:10 PM
During the passing of my first kidney stone I was only awake a few minutes at a time over a 10 day period. I was amazed that after that ordeal spent on pain killers that kept me asleep, eating one large orange made ne feek stuffed. As fate would have it, I happened to be reading about the oddity that the French diet which is classically high in all the things we are told not to eat does not generally result in obesity. The reason is the delivery of the food where portions are tiny, varied, and intensely satisfying. The quote I read that made so much sense was, "once you've tasted two bites of chocolate why continue eating the same thing? You know how it tastes. Why not move on to a different taste? "

Taking my kidney stone experience and French approach together I limited portions, made meals more complex, and made them exciting. I also have a large glass of flavored water or seltzer with every meal.

I've painlessly knocked off 40 pounds in six years while denying myself nothing, and feeling incredibly satisfied at every meal. I could have gone faster but I was focussed on the long haul. It will take a few weeks to change you lifestyle and get out of the old bingeing habits...especially if those around you see filling your big plate and eating it all as a sign of politeness. But it will work with some thought. Smaller plates can help, too.