PDA

View Full Version : Tips to teach me to dance like a girl . .

AnnieMac
01-15-2014, 03:27 PM
I could use some help in this area(maybe we all could). I don't mean slow dancing the follow part, I pretty much figured that out. But more feminine, aka hot, looking fast dancing moves. I would like to really let myself go on the dance floor in a swirly party dress, However, I'm sure I'm pretty clunky because I am as a guy, except for slow dances which I can do most of them well enough. I don't want to look like how Elaine dances on Seinfeld, when I am in a chiffon dress, however I probably do dance like her. Any tips would be great! GG's are such a natural at this (we're not worthy, we're not worthy!), they all look good on the dance floor(well 'kept for maybe Elaine) Thank y'all ahead of time, Love Annie!

antonia_bee
01-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Heels are a must for dancing. Master those and the rest is quite easy.

Katey888
01-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Annie - brilliant! I had to find Elaine dancing on YouTube and that doesn't paint a pretty picture - not in any way you can imagine!
Anyway - just to say, I'm not the best of boy dancers anyway (comes out as something of a cross between the Twist and... well, Elaine :D) but I've been strutting my stuff in the kitchen lately as I have music on to cook to, and curiously, I've been thinking about exactly your question. These are unproven, but also based on observation to a degree and what I think I've observed so far is:
- Antonia mentioned heels and this has an impact - no big foot movements, and take small steps if you must
- Better still, keep your feet together, bend at the knees (bit like skiing warm up... :cool:) and wiggle, preferably to the beat of the music
- Arms can be used to good effect, but small movements again, same for the head and neck, in a somewhat serpentine way
Now, what you end up with, is something like Robert Palmer's (Bless him) Addicted to Love girl band video, which I think is what I've been aiming for and emulating in all sorts of ways (makeup, dress, pout etc. - please see my avatar and assorted gallery pics :D) and now I'm even trying to dance like that.
Hope that helps - it's been great therapy for me and now I'm back to the kitchen for the dishes and a quick twirl... :yahoo:
Katey x

Ellanore G.G.
01-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Im not sure if we are all natural, but the fact that some have done this for years
and had dance classes when we were younger helped.
My H cant dance well in male mode, he admits that
but when he puts on heels he just lets go.
Maybe its because he has learnt not to be too self concious.
Most rthym comes from within, and listening to the beat of the music.
Maybe practice without a mirror so you can get giddy and comfortable
then use the mirror to get moves that look good.
I think men and women have the same ability when it comes to dancing tbh
some men are perhaps even better at times.
check out youtube too, and just start off with a simple few steps routine.

MonikaTirola
01-15-2014, 04:36 PM
I took my ggf to a CD dance and she immediately noticed that almost every one (including myself) was dancing stiff as boards. The whole upper body moves as one unit.

She told me the secret was to wiggle my hips.

It took me some time but once I was able to unhinge the hips from the rest of my body and wiggle them independently I not only danced more girly, I also walked more girly.

AnnieMac
01-15-2014, 04:44 PM
-Good tips so far Katey! So is the goal to look like how Robert Palmer is dancing, or the model-like girls in the background? Also how do I find you gallery pictures?

Oh Elianore, but Hunny yes you are, you are good! (we're not worthy, we're not worthy!) Please take the compliment!! I like to watch any GG dance. So Elianore, let me ask you while I have a real girl on the line here, do you think that you and, other girls are better at it because you are little more flexible than men? Women just naturally walk nice and loose and easy, while men seem to walk all tight and bollixed up. Also do you think the freedom of the the clothes look and feel, and the swirling of the dresses when you dance, make you look, and perhaps even move better than a guy dressed in a suit? THX, hugs, Annie.

Just had a thought too, now this, I think would be a fun evening for everyone. Have a evening out where bunch of GG's teach us CD's how to dance when we are dressed. I'll bet we might just get better at it. I think they would enjoy that as much as we would.

Kate Simmons
01-15-2014, 04:55 PM
I was taught by girls to move my bootey and it comes natural to me. You move with your hips, swing them, move your hands and arms around and go with the flow of the music so it becomes a part of you. After awhile it becomes second nature. The key is a free flow of energy. Most guys use too much energy when they dance and it tends to look stiff.:battingeyelashes::)

LaraPeterson
01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Annie, while I don't want to throw cold water on a hot topic--if you can't dance as a guy, you probably won't do much better as a girl. If you want to see some hot dancing online with legs together, legs apart. . .you name it, pull up just about any J'Lo video. That gal can dance. Oh, to be shaped like that. . .then, practice, practice, practice--in front of a mirror. If nothing else, you'll get a good laugh. Good luck.

Beverley Sims
01-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Good ol' Kate,
She has the right advice again.

Sorry Kate, not so much of the old. :)

Adriana Moretti
01-16-2014, 01:16 AM
dont take my advice....or do...LOL....I always could dance...always had rhythm. You need rhythm ha ha!!! Do you go out where girls dance? Watch them..not in a creepy way...just watch. Yes dancing in your heels is great,and great practice....I also kick it up a notch....and some nights when I dress its my goal to just dance around the house, you know let off some steam...I get a little tipsy with a few drinks...it loosens you up...just like most girls would be in a nightclub.... Dont judge...I am a party girl....and dancing is a great way to help you with your form, body etc....dancing can be like having sex....

AnnieMac
01-16-2014, 07:04 AM
"....dancing can be like having sex...." Oooohh, so that's why we're so bad at it :). I will have to eat and dance at the same time!
Just having some silly fun, Adriana. Those are great suggestions! I can see dancing with the kind of freedom that women do, would be a little like sex, yes. The though of really letting myself go, and swirling around and moving with complete freedom wearing a slinky flowing dress really appeals to me!
I haven't ever tried it like that and I think it will take some time to free my mind up to do it. Be great to not to worry how dorky we look in our man clothes as we dance. Love your descriptions-THX

PS . . I look like Elaine when I have sex too.

Adriana Moretti
01-16-2014, 07:14 AM
some nights you just have to wear glass slippers

SierraTsuki
01-16-2014, 05:06 PM
My advice, whether dancing as a girl or guy, is to just be loose and feel the rhythm flowing through you body. Specifically, to be more feminine, hips are key. Moving your hips will go a long way and give the illusion of a more feminine figure.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
01-16-2014, 05:53 PM
I hit the local techno/Goth club dancing every two weeks and here is my take on your query. Pick the genre you want to dance in and then You-tube can be your best friend when it comes to learning and seeing what the moves are all about. I started out with Belly dancing because I enjoy the moves associated with it. I then worked through several club dancing instruction videos that really upped my game. Find a full length mirror to practice in front of and go to town when you are by yourself. Put on your favorite music and practice a LOT. You don't have to be perfect, you simply have to go with the flow. As others have said, let the music move through your body and the rest will fall into place. I get a LOT of compliments on my style of dance and a never ending stream of dance partners too. Have fun!!

Jenny Gurl
01-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Elaine Dancing. Yea, avoid her moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ39WeJpDLQ

JamieG
01-16-2014, 08:36 PM
It helps to work on your flexibility. I've been taking ballet classes for four years now, and have mixed in jazz classes here and there. Although ballet is obviously not club dancing, it makes you more limber and develops a gracefulness that takes your girly dancing to the next level. There are some who would argue that ballet is the foundation of any dance style there is.

Another thought for those who can't take dance lessons (or are afraid to): my daughters got "Just Dance for Kids" for the Wii. They have about 20 songs (from classics to current teen hits) and show dancers dancing to them. You have to mimic the dancers, and it keeps track of how well you do. There are some really cute girly dances on there, and I've been practicing with the game when no one else is home. By being the "kids" version, it's likely to be a little easier to keep up with than the original "Just Dance" game.

Jamie

Isabella77
01-17-2014, 12:36 AM
I personally think it's easier to dance as a girl than as a guy. I never know what to do with my arms as a guy. When I'm a girl it doesn't matter what I do. It all definitely feels sexy. I think I get to self conscious as a guy and don't feel like I can move freely without looking silly.
Either way, the most important thing is to get yourself out there on that dance floor. If you're there in the middle of all those people who are locked in perpetual motion it's kind of hard to sit still yourself. The longer and more often you do that the more natural it feels. The more natural it feels, the more natural it looks and eventually is. You teach yourself how to dance in my book. You can pick up things from others but it always you that has to make it your own. Just keep putting yourself out there more and more. You'll either stop feeling like you look like a fool or get used to feeling like that. LOL

Chickhe
01-17-2014, 01:14 AM
The problem I have, is flexibility. When I first tried to dance like a female, my hips could not move that way. It takes a lot of stretching. Learning belly dancing moves helps too.

Adriana Moretti
01-17-2014, 02:14 AM
stretching is great to help your fem form ........And will help with the dancing .....

Amanda_P
01-17-2014, 03:16 AM
The times I have been out dressed dancing have only been on Halloween. But let me tell you the girl in me had such a blast. Twirling and dancing like I never would of done in pants in guy mode. I just let her loose and had a blast.

Marcelle
01-17-2014, 05:28 AM
Hi Annie,

I don't have much more to add but I know that when I dance "en boy" I tend to rely on my shoulders more and keep my arms basically in a movement zone between my waist and just below my shoulders with minimal feet movement, more swaying. When I dance en femme it is more hip and buttocks movement much more twirling and my arms are free to roam waist to above my head. But mainly, I just have fun.

Hugs

Isha

JessicaColeridge
01-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Great suggestions here! I use YouTube tutorials for certain sexy music videos I've seen such as Rihanna... Then doing uh infringe of the mirror

mysticalkatie2014
01-17-2014, 06:46 PM
As my male role im so up tight im not able to dance because I think people will be looking at me but when katie comes out with her heels and make up then I dance like madonna ( at least I think so ) and I want people to look im full of confidence as a woman x

curvyFiona
01-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Elaine Dancing. Yea, avoid her moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ39WeJpDLQ

hahaha talk about getting everybodies attention!

sonialexis
02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
i honestly have yet to slip on my LBD or a shimmery gold dress and get on the floor, but men i guess tend to use their shoulders more and women their hips and hands, my gf was teaching me how to salsa and she was fluid in her movements i on the other hand got the steps quick but tended to stiffen up a big. let your hips guide you for they don't lie and also your arms should be lose with a light wrist. also avoid lifting your legs like a sumo wrestler

reb.femme
02-07-2014, 06:10 PM
I've loved hitting the dance floor in Bob mode over the years, the girls always love a guy that can move and I was a good clubber. However, yet to do it ala girl.

Biggest problem is I love Vocal Trance, which is very much the preserve of the young. Loving thumping beats and melody (check my website - plug plug). Therefore, an old bird such as myself trying to pull her moves is likely to end in much humiliation. I will have to have a proper look at myself in the mirror one day and see if I am up to hitting the floor as Rebecca. I just don't want to look like a bloke in a dress, despite the fact I am.

Rebecca

Adriana Moretti
02-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Annie....this is a classic thread.... cant belive it isstill ticking !!! come on over we will have a dance party !!!

HeatherBrett
02-08-2014, 02:38 AM
after reading all the responses, i think it comes down to three things. hips, hips, hips!

McKayla1
02-09-2014, 02:19 AM
I have recently started yoga to increase flexibility and maintain my girlish figure without gaining muscle, a little out of the box advice on the flexibility aspect.

Teresa
02-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Hi Annie,
I can only speak from a UK perspective but girls most girls don't seem to like the same music as boys, if you watch girls when something like The Rolling Stones gets played most get dragged on the dance floor, the guys are really going for it and the girls want to be somewhere else. You may need to change your music taste if that's how you are.