PDA

View Full Version : Mind over hormones

Chickhe
01-21-2014, 01:09 AM
I recently watched this video about how success is related to how you act. There was some talk about how you feel impacts your hormone levels. I don't know if it is true, but if you act like the person you want to be, does that actually help your body become that person physically to a small degree?

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are.ht ml

kimdl93
01-21-2014, 07:30 AM
There is a corollary in cognitive therapy. That is, it is easier to act your way I to new ways of thinking than it is to think your way into new ways of acting. So if you act like the person you want to be, your mind eventually habituates to the new behavior. Evidently the mind is elastic enough to adjust itself...some might call that learning.

Katey888
01-21-2014, 08:06 AM
That's a great video! Well worth persevering for the full 20 mins - interesting, inspiring - and I think Amy's quite sexy... :D

I think there is something in this for us - particularly around posture. I've only started taking photos of myself recently, and the first ones have been, OMG, that's me in guy posture. Elbows out, legs just so - you know the type of thing. If you have to focus and think of yourself in a different way, I can imagine that impacts how you feel as well

Good reference Chickie - like it!

Katey x

Beverley Sims
01-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Don't really go with the hormone theory but I do think wearing dresses long enough does skew your personal habits a little. :)

Nadine Spirit
01-21-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't know, but my wife swears my boobs are growing, even though I don't actually take any hormones. I admit my chest looks bigger than it did 5-10 years ago, but does that mean my boobs are getting bigger, or that I am working out more and my pecs are getting bigger? I don't know. But I never used to wake up with boob creases. (Wrinkles in the cleavage area.) Interesting.