PDA

View Full Version : I'm Labeling you as an Oxymoron

Briana90802
01-21-2014, 11:29 AM
That's right, in recent weeks and I guess forever I've noticed that everyone here has a problem with the "crossdresser" label, or the "transvestite" label, or the "transgender" label, and so on. It seems that everyone hates it when they are labeled by someone else.

However, we all label others without a second thought. We all, and I mean ALL, label things that are outside the norm. Gay, black, white, mexican, blonde, old, etc... A people can accept a stereotype or a label, but a person might have trouble with that same label.
We(humans) have a brain that is designed to seek out patterns, to make sense of the chaos that is our world.

My point, labels are just that, labels. If someone labels you why not prove them wrong rather than just calling them a "Labeler".

Any thoughts?

Lynn Marie
01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Oxymoron. Is that like an idiot who cleans up really well? I like labels, crossdresser, T-girl, call me what you like. Just call me!

Beverley Sims
01-21-2014, 12:05 PM
I know a guy who is a welder, he is quite stupid.
An oxy moron. :)

MarciManseau
01-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Booo! Really bad pun, sounds like something I'd say also though :)

RebeccaLynne
01-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Briana, I've just got to say that not everyone here views "labels" as something to be offended by. I know I certainly don't.

I agree that some semblance of order is achieved by identifying categories and grouping others according to their differences and similarities.

I see it as a celebration of variety. Life would be a bit boring without it. :battingeyelashes:

Tracii G
01-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Good point.

Gillian Gigs
01-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Labels allow for the pigeon-hole effect to take place, but we don't have to stay in that box! Some will get offended by labels, but I say just shake it off, and move on. The more you make light of labels, the less effect they will have on you. So, I say, "call me anything, but don't call me late for supper".

LilSissyStevie
01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
My stepfather was an ichthyologist/taxonomist so I guess you could say he had a PhD in labeling. You wouldn't believe the fights they had over whether some fish was a new species or just a variation of some existing species. Does it matter? Well, if the government wants to build an enormous dam that threatens this particular fish's habitat, then it makes a huge difference whether it is a rare sub-species that only exists downstream from the proposed dam or whether is just the same as some species that is ubiquitous. These decisions are more political than scientific. The anti-dam folks want it to be a rare sub-species and the pro-dam people want it to be the garden variety kind. My ichthyologist can beat up your ichthyologist. It's the same here. People have reasons for their particular taxonomy and "objective truth" usually isn't one of them. What's important is knowing where they are coming from.

MarciManseau
01-21-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm legally Marci, so my label should be girl, and I love being called that.

Briana90802
01-21-2014, 03:19 PM
... "objective truth"...

Well if this term isn't a cotradiction in terms I don't know what is. I agree"tomato, tomato" it's all in how you look at it. But really what I'm saying is one-on-one a person can be persuaded to see that CDer is a CDer or a trandgender person and not a pervert or tranny or whatever. I doubt that can be done with mob mentality.

kendra_gurl
01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Most who insist on the use of labeling others most often have a hidden agenda. Buyer Beware and One size does not fit all.

franlee
01-21-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm as big as an Ox and have been accused of being a moron so if that combines to Oxymoron, OK. But I other wise I'm a crossdresser or transvestite and happy. Moving along I can also assure you I'm not trans or any other gendered but male. My actions of dressing in the clothes I like and enjoy have nothing to do with my gender, but have affected my sexual experiences over the years and hopefully keep on until the end. Labels, titles and names are for one simple purpose, to identify a person, place or thing. They only affect me or you through our own values and interpatations. So I guess I can't be defined as a oxymoron, but sometimes a hypocrite may fit, even though I try not to be one. Stuff Happens!

JocelynJames
01-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Just too much for me. I just want to wear women's clothes and try my hardest to look sexy if only too me. Label , don't -whatever -JJ

bimini1
01-21-2014, 07:19 PM
There was a time when I was 10 years old and the CDing really took off. I did not know what to call me. I am going back to that time.

Jorja
01-21-2014, 07:30 PM
So, I am a Goddess, yet nobody will call me Goddess Jorja except a few horny guys online. What's a girl to do? I guess I'll be happy that the guys online will call me by my correct lable and get on with my life. ;)

Wildaboutheels
01-21-2014, 07:44 PM
It's pretty obvious that some here despise labels. Others merely dislike labels. And then there are those that don't care either way.

BUT... there are SOME that happen to like labels or want one or need one. Nothing wrong with wanting a label. For those that DO, here's a few more for consideration:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?200276-Since-some-can-t-seem-to-find-the-correct...&highlight=

Marcelle
01-21-2014, 09:32 PM
I'll say it again . . . Labels are for soup cans not people :)

Seriously though, labels, taxonomy, naming or whatever is used to bring order to chaos. It would be quite confusing to go around saying "Hey can you hand me that shnibby thing over there . . . no not that one but the other one" or "Hey did you see that thing the other day by the other thing"

If having a label, term, name gives you comfort and helps to bring order to chaos, then embrace that. However for me, a label is just that a name and while it may apply then again it may not.

Hugs

Isha

Jilmac
01-21-2014, 11:42 PM
I've had so many labels in my lifetime, I've lost count. I've been called four eyes, tin grin, pizza face, lefty, southpaw, shorty, and some labels I even gave myself. I believe those labelers do it because they don't have much empathy for those of us who might be somewhat different. I also believe that many labelers have low self esteem and tag others with labels to boost their own egos.

Lucy_Bella
01-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Hiding or denying a label = being ashamed of how others see you !! Got something to hide..Avoid being labeled..

Stephanie47
01-22-2014, 02:09 AM
I just enjoy wearing women's clothing once in a while or sometimes more frequently. I try not to label anyone as most people really cannot be put into a pigeon hole. Last year while I was speaking to a counselor (nothing to do with cross dressing or sexuality) I mentioned my son-in-law was African American. The counselor who I had been seeing for more than three years was amazed that I had not mentioned before that he was African-American. I said he is a highly educated wonderful guy worthy of my daughter, who happens to be African-American. Why should I mention it. It was immaterial to who he is. The counselor happens to be black, although not African American, but, why should that matter either.

Putting people into pigeon holes tends to exclude people.

Ellie52
01-22-2014, 06:59 AM
I bought a brother label maker and I love to label anything.. Watch out, especially if I open the pantry...E

kimdl93
01-22-2014, 07:28 AM
The terms themselves are quite clearly defined in the literature and most of the problems result from carelessness or ignorance. There's nothing inherently wrong with cross dresser, transvestite, transsexual or transgender. It's not the labels, so much as who chooses them. A person may define themselves as white, hispanic, asian, black or mixed, similarly may prefer CD to TG, or further redefine their identity as fetish dresser, middle path or pre-OP TS. When other people affix labels on us as individuals or as groups we are more likely to take exception, because those labels may not match those we've chosen for ourselves.

BLUE ORCHID
01-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Labels , What labels ?? WE don't need no stinking labels !!

Marleena
01-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Any thoughts?

All MTF's are considered transgender. Doesn't get much easier than that and does away with all the label issues. The general public won't get confused by us either.

Megan70
01-22-2014, 08:33 AM
How about " Look at that Transvestite man wearing a dress. He's going to Red Lobster to eat "Jumbo Shrimp"

Rhonda Darling
01-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Call me anything, but don't call me late for dinner.

RD

MsVal
01-22-2014, 08:50 AM
People who are comfortable with what they are, or what they do should embrace, or at least accept the appropriate label. Problems come when people are uncomfortable with themselves, and their label seems personally insulting. Publishers make a bundle selling self improvement books to those people. There are also problems when people are indentified by the wrong label or the correct label is used incorrectly. I don't know what to do about ignorance (at best) or maliciousness.

Katey888
01-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Anyone will get my attention by calling me Katey, or blondie (when blonde :heehee:), or (preferably) 'Hey gorgeous'.

All other honorifics can leave a message after the tone.... :p

Katey x

Alice Torn
01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
A real scoundrel, who has to use oxygen, was an oxymoron!! LOL If some call me a moron, I say "better to be more on, than more off."

MonicaCD
01-22-2014, 09:08 AM
I most agree with Jocelyn. I just like wearing women's clothes and trying to look - and feel - feminine. I suppose it started as a sexual turn on, but not so much any more. There's a girlie part of me that I get emotional satisfaction from expressing.

Labels are OK for discussing behavior in general, I guess, but when it comes down to the individual I think it's less useful.

sweetshauna
01-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Bi, sissy, CDer. I don't mind either of the 3, depending on how it's said. Wife, and a couple of her friends calls me "Sissy" @ times and doesn't bother me at all.

If the heels fit, wear'em! And I like wearing heals. :P

Briana90802
01-22-2014, 09:21 AM
I feel like most everyone here is missing the point. It's a contradiction in terms to say "I hate being the recipiant of a label" and then turn around and label others.

Ressie
01-22-2014, 09:29 AM
everyone here has a problem with the "crossdresser" label
I haven't noticed this at all. But some labels are actually name calling and some may be perceived that way. Those names can also be inaccurate, thus offensive.

Alice Torn
01-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Yes, there is a bit of hypocrisy in all of us, this fickle thing we call human nature.

linda booth
01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Yes Brianna our brains do seek out patterns. Science shows that even if the pattern's not exactly there, our brains create it. There have been a lot of posts complaining about labels - even though we all tend to do it.

Tina B.
01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
San Francisco, that's a label, and I like it, it tells me where I am. transgender, is another type of label, I like, it tells me where I stand.
Labels are fine, as long as you are the one picking it.

Genifer Teal
01-22-2014, 12:14 PM
I know a guy who is a welder, he is quite stupid.
An oxy moron. :)

That joke is going to take a while to 'cetylene.

Back at you , and just as bad. :-)

Annaliese2010
01-22-2014, 12:44 PM
I am labeling us as 21st Century neo-Renaissance M2F TG Excellence :battingeyelashes:

Cheryl T
01-22-2014, 02:12 PM
"label things that are outside the norm"...
Who decided what the norm is?? I certainly didn't have a vote in it and I don't know anyone who did.

We label so we can categorize and organize and keep things in order and under control and hate anything that disturbs that order or removes our control....so go ahead and hate me....lol.