PDA

View Full Version : Flying from cold Midwest to Miami, what to wear

Barb123
01-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Of all the things Barb gets pleasure from, traveling by air is the most fun.

The environment is safe for lots of reasons.

Beyond the whole security part, there is an implication that everyone past the TSA has been screened and what guy would travel as a woman. At least there is the benefit of doubt.

In the airport there is a wide of range on how people are dressed but for older folks it seems to stay between nice casual and business casual. Younger people are more likely in “whatever” style. But it seems older people (me) are more careful on how the dress and looking nice is more likely the norm

Women traveling in skirts outfits are maybe in the 10 to 20% area, especially traveling on business days. Dresses seem to be a bit less common. Slacks are common but I can tell you that if Barb is going thru all that work and stress to travel as Barb, she is not wearing pants. She will wear the nicest, most feminine look outfit possible and stay in the range of normal. She wants be on the edge, just below overdressed.

The other variable is the outside weather. There is the trip from the parking lot to airport and the rental car and checking in hotel at the other end.

So what would you wear on a mid-week trip from the Midwest to Miami in late January?

I sure could use some comments and feedback from you gals.

If you travel as they say “flying pretty”, how do you decide, what do you consider? If you had a selection of the following what would you go with?

Katey888
01-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Barb,

You need to get some feedback from our Florida locals for local weather wear, but can I just say you would be amongst the smartest of travellers that I've experienced :clap: and I've done a few million miles in my time...

Most people eschew style for practicality - so hats off to you! Looking great and keeping our airways elegant :D

Katey x

AndreaCD1963
01-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Well - IF I was flying pretty, I think I'd want to choose based on comfort as well as looking good. All of your pictures / outfits look great, but I would probably choose the last one - the cowl neck dress with the black belt. Very smart looking, and comfortable looking, age appropriate style and length. For me, that is a gorgeous dress!

DonnaT
01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
I suggest #2

Note that the arctic chill has made Miami a tad cooler lately.

A long coat and boots will help at home, especially if it's windy.

josrphine
01-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Hi Barb, Well right now we are having some cold nights, sometimes it get down into the 40 ish. days are not getting up more then 60 to 65. Also I am south of Tampa and we are near Venice on the west coast. A light jacket is a must unless you are real hot blooded. All of your outfits look great. Miami is across the way from us a little bit more south but about the same temp. Have fun JO

Lorileah
01-22-2014, 12:30 PM
ah the good old days when people traveling made it a special occasion. When you wanted to show your best (mostly because those who could afford to fly could afford stylish clothes). I would fly to present as classy as possible but you need to layer so you can carry a coat over your arm when you get there. Have fun

Cheryl James
01-22-2014, 02:38 PM
It is about 65 in FLL right now with a strong wind from the NW. We are cold. I've seen everything from women dressed as you are in the pictures to jeans and sweatshirts to a beach cover-up worn by someone who, obviously, ,just got off a plane from the midwest (not you, you are more attractive, by far). The 40's tonight will feel like the 20's up north. Enjoy yourself.

Adriana Moretti
01-22-2014, 02:39 PM
I am jealous......sitting here in the snow :(

Barb123
01-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the positve feedback. We all need others honest support and reassurance to drown out out own insecurity.

So what of these outfits would you wear on the plane?

The painful truth is that I have work in Miami that Barb cannot help with so it is just on the way there.

Barb123

lovetobedani
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
I think that I would opt for outfit four.

I like all of them. A great look for you.

joandher
01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
I would opt for outfit 4, or the dark outfit in picture 2 ,both suit you great

Beverley Sims
01-25-2014, 12:08 PM
If I fly from Chicago to Miami I would wear clothing suited for the Miami weather.
As I have said in another post today.
People in the departure lounge know where you are going so summer wear is not out of place.
Wandering around Miami and looking for Yellow Lamborghinis in a heavy fur coat would get you arrested too.:)

The rule is dress appropriately for the destination.

windycissy
01-25-2014, 04:47 PM
I met a GG in Florida last week, she flew down from the Polar Vortex and looked darling in layers: a short skirt, tights, long sleeve top, wrap sweater and long scarf, which she proceeded to remove (except for the skirt and top of course) after we left the airport

Jenny Gurl
01-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Wear a smile, the rest of us will be freezing our "spanx" off.

BOBBI G.
01-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Barb,

I'm just outside of WPB, and right now it is 53 degrees. We will be going into the 70's mid day and tomorrow. Wednesday is supposed to be in the low to mid 80's, but this is South Florida and the weather people LIE a lot. Suggestion bring a little warmer clothing for evenings, but nothing drastic. I work a second shift, so I always carry an extra layer and try to make it wind resistant. The humidity will make it feel cooler than it really is.

Hope this helps a little bit. Oh, WPB is about 60 miles from Miami.

Bobbi