PDA

View Full Version : So what is "normal"?

Gillian Gigs
01-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Within so many of the threads that I read, I see words like weird, normal, etc, but many of these words seem to be fluid. By saying fluid I am meaning that they vary according to a personal prospective, or interpetation. We can get dictionary definations, but how many of us check the dictionary before using a word, or how many words evolve into something else over time. So what is normal, the best I can come up with comes from thinking about another persons tag line.

"Normal is what you get when you adjust and compromise for all the quirks that everyone has".

Some say that Cding is weird, I prefer to say it is a quirk, a peculiarity of behaviour. We all have quirks, some are just a little more out there than others!

PaulaQ
01-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Normal is conforming, at least externally to the expected range of behaviors of the cis-gendered heteronormatove society in which we find ourselves. And CDs are still FAR outside the range of behavior that is considered acceptable. Normal is the society that punishes non-conformity.

Kate Simmons
01-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Normally I would agree with you Gillian but then that would be kind of quirky in itself, no? ;):)

Caden Lane
01-22-2014, 12:55 PM
My normal is different from yours. Yours is different from anybody elses normal. I don't care about societies version of normal, because they are too content on assessing labels, hedging people in, putting people in corners because they are different on some level. Why do we try to subscribe to that sort of "normal"? Id much rather define my normal for myself. Because what has societies normal done for me lately?

Katey888
01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
There is no real normal... I am so not normal on more levels than just my proclivity to want to look like a girl!

My taste in music is not normal. My favourite movies are not normal. I don't actually want to be normal!!!

Normal is boring. Normal is average. Normal is mediochrity!!! :tantrum:

I'm unique - you're all unique. Let's just be .... :meditate:

Wild...? Where's Wild? I need some shouteys not smileys...

melanie206
01-22-2014, 02:09 PM
There is the subjective normal and the objective normal. The subjective normal relies on the eyes ( and opinions ) of the beholder for meaning. The objective normal can be quantified. Therefore, CDing, being TG and gender fluidity is normal because it has always existed. Just like being left handed or having musical ability. I am not equating these traits with transgender behavior or feelings because the jury is out on what really happens in the X/Y chromosome game of musical chairs. Not sure of my point. The people who can only handle "normal" are the ones who need help.

Wildaboutheels
01-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Normal.

For a MAN, it's to be able to LOOK at "attractive" [to them] females or simply FEMALE appearing body parts and be able to "get ready" at a moments notice. Until approx. 45ish for most men. [I am using THIS very Forum for a guess at that #] This has been going on for likely hundreds of thousands of years and is not going to change anytime soon.

Pretending that we have some control over it OR can change it is simply a denial of wellllllll established behavior and FACTS.

I'll even throw in a second definition. "Normal" is living one's life precisely the way THEY choose to and not endlessly worrying about what others are thinking or what they might say.

Adriana Moretti
01-22-2014, 02:38 PM
we are normal....everyone else is weird.......

suzy1
01-22-2014, 02:48 PM
If you get 1000 people that are all the same and one that is different then the one that is different is looked upon as not normal. That is the way of the world.
Its when that ‘one’ is looked upon by the rest as wrong or perverted or in need of help to conform to the norm that the problems begin.
Is CDing wrong or abnormal? No. But try telling the other 1000 people that.:straightface:

kendra_gurl
01-22-2014, 02:56 PM
I agree Normal can mean a lot of things to different people but weird is still weird

PaulaQ
01-22-2014, 02:57 PM
@Suzy1 - yes, and it's easy for the other 1000 to eliminate the one, for the purposes of "harmony".

@Adriana - the "normal" world is so broken that it's just tragic.

Beverley Sims
01-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Normal is in the eye of the beholder. :)

lovetobedani
01-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Normal is subjective. We are all normal to our own standards. I consider myself normal as I do all of us here. Who am I to judge others.

Gillian Gigs
01-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Nice pic's Kendra.

Part of this whole thought on what is normal is partly based on a deep seated thing within many of us to fit in, or be normal. I have come to the point of realizing that I am a fringe person, and the best way to "feel normal" is to find other fringe people to be with. In my younger days I did spend alot of time in the arts community, being active in social issues, and being involved with political movements. Today, not so much action, but more words than anything.

Suzy made a good point, the problem is in how we handle the one who is different. I wonder if our ancestors had handled the different one the wrong way, how much art, philosophy, prose, or poetry we would have today.

Katey has good point also. Maybe I have too much mediocrity in my life, so I need some spice to make things more interesting.

kendra_gurl
01-22-2014, 04:22 PM
One of the best things about being NOT NORMAL is it's usually pretty easy to find others who are not normal in exactly the same way you are. MTF and FTM CD's are perfectly normal in places which cater to them.
With perhaps the exception of the bearded kid in the photos I posted I'm sure all those other people have friends who are into their weirdness too.

Cheryl T
01-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Normal is so over rated...

Marcia Blue
01-22-2014, 07:49 PM
I tried being normal..................Longest 5 minutes of my life.

That being said, I have never tried to fit into any "normal" molds.

Jilmac
01-22-2014, 10:55 PM
"Normal" is a city in Illinois. It is a suburb of Bloomington.

Rachael Leigh
01-22-2014, 11:47 PM
I have always struggled with what is normal about my dressing so many times.
Just the other day I was thinking about how women wear pretty much whatever they want and no one says a thing but see a guy in a skirt or dress and you think the world has come to an end. It kinda made me angry.
So for me to dress when I do is it normal for me, I've started to blend my wardrobe at times and don't always wish to be fully dressed as a women so for me I'm started to think I'm normal for me, not for some but for me.

Chickhe
01-23-2014, 12:05 AM
It is pretty hard to be normal so I'll settle for average.

Michelle789
01-23-2014, 02:01 AM
There is no such thing.......as normal. Normal is an illusion. Most people who think they're "normal" are in denial of being "weird" in some way. Everyone is weird in some way, we all have our little quirks. Some of us are more "weird" than others. But I like to keep it weird. It would be really weird if I was completely "normal", so this becomes one gigantic paradox. Geez :battingeyelashes:

Mistyjo
01-23-2014, 02:30 AM
There is no such thing as normal. Because everyone is different and everyone has there own illusion of normal so we are all weird in are own way

LilSissyStevie
01-23-2014, 02:34 AM
A line at right angles to a given line or surface.:tongueout

Katie Russell
01-23-2014, 04:40 AM
In a room of 10 people, 9 are cross dressers and one is not. Who is normal in that room?

Katie

Tina B.
01-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Normal is the middle section of the Bell Curve. Also known as average, common, or ordinary, "boring".

MonikaTirola
01-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Normal is overrated :)

My motto is "Normal gibt's schon (normal already exists)!"

Much more fun to be weird!

Anna H
01-23-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm probably not normally normal. But I got used to it
so it feels normal.

Now I have to find something weird to do....I wish I
hadn't thought about it, now...

;)
♥ Kate

Ellie52
01-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Normal is only applicable to the environment you are in. This forum classes people who wear womens clothes and appendages (breast forms etc) as normal but the general community class that as aberrant behavior. The same way you would (hopefully) class a pedophile club as being aberrant perverted and sick, but they may feel they aren't doing anything wrong, even though its illegal and very disturbing.
Normality is fluid and has to be taken within a context.
You wife or SO may feel you are NOT normal but on this site we'll tell you that what you do is perfectly normal. Two totally different environments with different interpretations but its the context that changes the outcome....Ellie

ShelbyDawn
01-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Statistically speaking, all points on a bell curve are "normal."
The ones in the middle may occur more often than those on the fringe, but they all qualify as normal.

I have heard that anywhere from 3 to 8 percent of men crossdress in some fashion.
We all fit into 'normal' we just aren't in the meat of the bell curve.

But let's look at the "actual" numbers, shall we? :)

Assuming the low end and taking a rough estimate that half of the close to 7 billion people in the world are male, that means that 0.03 X 3,500,000,000 = 10.5 million crossdressers in the world. If you add in ALL the GG's in the world (because they ALL crossdress), that number becomes 3,510,500,000 crossdressers!!! :bs:

That's a lot of people to not be "normal". :)

Seriously, though,

I personally feel I am just as normal and just as weird and just as quirky as the next guy or the next cd or the next gurl or girl. I look to myself and do my best to keep balance in my life. Being CD is part of that and that is that...

:hugs:

Shelby

kelly10
01-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Denying yourself to conform to a socially constructed idea of what is 'normal' seems to be a part of the human condition in all times and places. I suspect that if we could all read each each others thoughts all of the time though, the idea of what is 'normal' might expand just a little don't you think? :)
If people in general are cutting off their individual edges to fit this manufactured ideal of what is normal, and that idea of normal is constantly shifting and expanding, what the hell are we doing? I think the more authentic we all can be, the more we expand and affect the idea of what is normal. It's always the courageous few that move and change the 'normal' definition.
What is normal? How long is a piece of string?
Now where the f*** are my stockings?

CynthiaD
01-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Crossdressing is normal.
Being transgendered is normal.

Living your whole life pretending to be something you're not -- that's weird.

sometimes_miss
01-24-2014, 03:58 PM
What's normal is what the individual feels it is. Sure, for us, crossdressing is normal. To virtually all women (and men, of course), it is definitely NOT normal, and not something they find sexually attractive in a man. So if you want to date a woman, finding one who feels crossdressing is 'normal', and acceptable in her mate, is going to be difficult indeed. In this 21st century, there are lots more people who are willing to 'live and let live', but tolerating it is a whole different story from liking it.

Vanessa5
01-24-2014, 07:30 PM
One of my all time favorite quotes "life is too short to be a sheep". Why be normal when normal is sooooo boring?

DeeDeeB
01-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Crossdressing is normal.
Being transgendered is normal.

Living your whole life pretending to be something you're not -- that's weird.

Loving it - DeeDee :fairy1:

dana digs sweaters
01-24-2014, 09:01 PM
we are normal....everyone else is weird.......
:)
Wonderfully put for me too Miss Adriana.

suchacutie
01-24-2014, 09:07 PM
If we have a feminine "connection" because of the natural probability of how our brains developed in the womb, then we are a completely natural and normal phenominon of nature. :)

Sissy_Michelle
01-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Funny you say that.

There is a test to see how crazy you are but not one to see if you're normal...

@--}----
Sally. :)

sometimes_miss
01-25-2014, 01:32 AM
Sorry, I missed this somehow:

Statistically speaking, all points on a bell curve are "normal." The ones in the middle may occur more often than those on the fringe, but they all qualify as normal.

I think what we have to be concerned with is not 'statistically speaking'; it's how women feel about men who crossdress. And I assure you, the vast majority most certainly do not feel that it is in any way 'normal'.

ShelbyDawn
01-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Sometimes_miss, I think you missed it again.

My comment about "statistically speaking" is correct and if you read past the tongue-in-cheek numbers part of my post to the last line( the one just after 'seriously though')
I believe that what we need to be concerned with is not what women feel about men who crossdress but rather how we feel about ourselves.
We will never make everybody happy with what we do whether it is our job or our lifestyle; I have family that can't understand why I gave up a job making just over minimum wage as a radio announcer to go back to school to make over six figures in the high tech world - go figure.
We need to get to a place where we are happy with who we are and look to surround ourselves with people that will love and support us because of or in spite of that.
Once I figured out how to be happy with me and found ways to keep balance in my life - including my crossdressing -my life became much easier and the fact that I CD became much less of an issue.

As a very wise mentor once told me; "Your opinion of me is none of my business. It's just not my garbage."

:hugs:

Shelby

LydiaG
01-26-2014, 01:54 AM
Normal is boring. I don't want to be normal.

I couldn't imagine living a life that would be described as "normal" to "society"... It just seems so boring and uninteresting. But hey thats just me, YMMV.

pam1962
01-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Normal is a setting on the clothes dryer. It should never be used to describe any aspect of the human condition (IMHO). Each human is unique, each of us has our "quirks", as Michelle pointed out in her earlier post. Embracing and attempting to understand our "uniqueness" would go a long way toward solving many of society's so-called "problems". Our civilization would never advance if it were populated only by "normal people". I dare say that no one who has ever achieved anything great in history would have been described by their peers as normal.

grace7777
01-26-2014, 10:51 AM
Normal is different things to different people. Also normal can change. It use to not be normal for women to wear slacks in public, but now it is considered very normal. I think many people make themselves miserable trying to conform to someone elses definition of normal.

Marcelle
01-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Normal is over-rated and usually the concept of people who want everyone to be cookie cutter versions of them. Unfortunately, it is a hard fight to not be considered normal. I think E.E. Cummings said it best:

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

Hugs

Isha

suzy1
01-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Such words of wisdom from E. E. Cummings. I soooo agree with that!

Thank you Isha.