PDA

View Full Version : A question for the more "mature " ladies: pierced ears

MeDeanna
01-24-2014, 09:31 AM
I do not have pierced ears for earrings. Since I am older I was wondering if most of the older ladies have pierced their ears so late in life. When I was growing up boys didn't do that.

Does it hurt? Wife says no but since hers were done at 13 I'm not sure she remembers.

I am seriously dying to wear earrings.

Thanks to all.

Stephania
01-24-2014, 09:35 AM
I am 56 and just go my pierced on Jan. 2.

MsRenee
01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Doesnt hurt at all.

Go for it girl. Youll never look back.

Renee

Kimberly Long
01-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Go for it. I had my done at age 70, 4 years ago. I love them so much better than clip on. I does not hurt
Love Kimberly

Annaliese
01-24-2014, 10:36 AM
I have been wanting to, I think it would be to much for my wife right now.
Last year me and my wife were out to dinner and next to us was a man in his 80's and a young man in his 30 and his wife, the man in his 80 had just had his ears pierced and the young man was giving him a bad time. The old man told him he had been in two wars, and had earn the right to do what ever he want to do. The young man was quite for the rest of the meal. I don't know what the relationship between the two men was. I did make a interesting night.

Sherrii
01-24-2014, 10:37 AM
I got my ears pierced about 10 years ago. It doesn't hurt or if it does it is less than a bee sting, not a big deal. If you do it follow directions and don't go and remove the studs and put in earrings early. You need to heal fully. It is hard not to do this, I know but you don't want to be trying to get an earring through untill your slow healing ear is fully healed. Sherrii

insearchofme
01-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Since my wife doesn't like me to CD, I won't cross that line. However if she were to pass away before me I will have our wedding rings and her engagement ring setting melted down into gold studs and will then get my ears pierced and wear them. That way she'll always be physically with me in some small way.

Nikki A.
01-24-2014, 10:54 AM
I had mine done in my 50s. The pain is minimal and I wear a stud in each ear in drab. No regrets no issues. In fact I had someone my age admit to me (probably not a CD) that he thought about it but didn't have the nerve.

Mistyjo
01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
I got mine done 15 years ago did not hurt at all

Mistyjo

herwannabe
01-24-2014, 11:25 AM
I did my own ears bout five yrs ago at 55 and it didnt hurt all that much

S. Lisa Smith
01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
You will be fine. I had mine done when I was 55.

Paulacder
01-24-2014, 11:35 AM
I definately fall into the "Mature" category. I had my ears pierced about 8 years ago. I thought people would stare at me when wearing earrings, was I ever wrong. It has allowed me to express my feminine side very openly. if I feel that girly urge comming on I just put in a pair pearl studs and go about my business of the day. It's odd but after a while you will forget you are wearing earrings. Almost second nature

LadyInRed
01-24-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm 40, so I don't know if you'd consider me older however I'll weigh in, it depends how you get it done, at the mall kiosk with a gun, a hard pinch and then some pressure, not much beyond that, if you get it done at a piercing shop, it's actually less painful, but takes a little longer, so that can make some people anxious ...

Anna H
01-24-2014, 12:25 PM
I did one of mine when I was 17....(mid 50's now)
Then the other when I was around 30 or so. But, that
one healed up closed and I had to redo it about 3
months ago.

Of course you don't need/want to DIY...I got lucky
that mine came out nicely...but there are plenty
of places to get it done quick and painlessly.

I'd go for a place that uses higher quality metals
like niobium or titanium. Those can make it less of
a maintenance problem and heal better/faster.

Neither of those metals react with the human body.
Surgical steel, or even low carat golds, can with some
people...and you never know til you're days into it.

Being able to wear earrings is Nice!

:rose: - Kate

Beverley Sims
01-24-2014, 02:13 PM
No more than a needle prick I believe.
A lot safer now than twenty years ago.

AllieSF
01-24-2014, 02:18 PM
I am another late in life piercer. Had mine done 4+ years ago. My daughter hated them and probably still does. My son didn't say anything about them at first, but I learned from my daughter that he didn't like Dad with pierced ears either, and he once had his ears pierced plus he has a few tattoos nicely hidden. I like the war veteran's talk to the younger man. I told everyone that I somehow passed my mid-life crisis without knowing about it, so now I am just trying to catch up. Next on the list when I find the right design and/or phrase to use is to get one or more small tattoos. This is my time in life and I really can do what I want with minimal explanation. If someone has a problem with it, it is their problem and they have to learn how to live with it, not me!

biggirlsarah
01-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Had mine done at 46 similar to having an injection, sharp scratch, that's as painful as it's going to get , although the rewards far outweigh the discomfort , got a huge collection of earrings now, you go for it girl , do it today or tomorrow you never know what's on the horizon, love and hugs Sarah xx

Angela Campbell
01-24-2014, 02:44 PM
I am 55 and did it 2 weeks ago. Felt like someone pinching the ear a little. Over in about 3 minutes including paying for it. No pain at all.

Joanne f
01-24-2014, 03:08 PM
I had my first one done when I was about 20 yrs old professionally then after a while I could not see much point in just having one done ,it felt unbalanced so I done the other one myself, sines then I have put in more myself and now have three in each ear , if it had hurt I would not have done it myself but then they do say " no sense no feeling" so that might account for it not hurting :heehee:

Laura M
01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Got mine pierced about 8 months ago. Didn't hurt much at all, about like pinching your earlobe with a fingernail. I wear studs daily, and break out the dangly ones or hoops when I dress. I've had no negative comments from anyone about them. So I say go for it.

Claire Cook
01-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Had mine done at 65 and no problems.. The studs tingled for a couple of days, but I rinsed them with salt water and that went away. I just couldn't wait to put real earrings in!

sometimes_miss
01-24-2014, 03:52 PM
If you're not 'out' and don't want to be, perhaps stick to the magnetic versions at first; cheap on ebay, and there are all sorts of clip on adapters to create virtually any design from pierced version into either clip or magnet. Oh, and use a larger magnet for the backing even if the front of the earring is small; it lessens the pressure/sq inch on the earlobe.

Monet's dream
01-24-2014, 03:53 PM
My ears are not pierced, though at times I really wish they were. The selection of earrings is just so much better for pierced ears than for ears that require clip on earrings. Unfortunately having pierced ears in my professional life would not work out very well. :sad: Sometimes I just want to shake up societal norms!

KaceyR
01-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Lots of threads on this in beauty section...
My own story tho...48-and first piercings was last...June? I ferget.
Now I've got second pair of holes in ears 7 weeks ago.
No big thing really...a kerchunk, brief owie (like a shorter "shot") and just keeping studs in and cleaned for the healing 6weeks. No big issue on the male side either...

Cheryl T
01-24-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm in the age group and had mine done (double in each ear) 10 years ago.
Did it hurt...NO. I had it done at a Piercing Pagoda in the mall and they used the 'gun' and starter earrings. It was over in a second and no worse than if someone had pinched me.
Hardest part, as others said, was keeping the starters in till the "tunnels" formed and I could remove them. Now I wear studs in the uppers all the time and add what ever I feel like in the lowers. Usually that's 1/2" gold hoops in drab and whatever my outfit and mood dictates when dressed.
Just sorry I didn't do it decades ago...

stephNE
01-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Hi MeDeanna, I am 54 and I just had my ears pierced last summer. It doesn't hurt any more than a bug bite. I have had earrings in every day since, I love them! Originally I had small gold balls, but for Christmas my wife gave me a pair of diamond studs! A couple people have asked me why I did tit, but no one has said anything bad about them.

Andrea Renea
01-24-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm 56 yrs old. Got mine pierced 10 years ago. Its great to wear ear rings in either mode. Very few comments one Way or the other.

rita63
01-24-2014, 06:57 PM
I had mine done at 63, two years ago. Since then I can't pass a jewellery counter without looking and often buying. Putting in my ear rings makes me feel more complete as a woman. I am thinking of adding a second hole or a nose stud or maybe my nipples.
I warn you pierced ears are a vice, an addiction worse and more expensive than any other. But they're such fun!

hugs rita

Allisa
01-24-2014, 08:12 PM
I've been thinking about that very same thing. At 59 I think I might ,what the heck it's my life. I never liked the look of clip-ons any way, I think the feel of dangling on my lobes will be exquisite.

DeeDeeB
01-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Had mine done around age 60. I am very sensitive to shots of any kind (tend to pass out) but got through it ok. It did take a while to heal, like six months, but it is one of the best things I've done for Dee, second only to learning how to tuck. I have a dozen studs I choose from daily to match my shirt in guy mode, and I love the chandelier earrings I get to wear in lady mode. I say go for it.

deeDee :fairy1:

sandra-leigh
01-24-2014, 08:52 PM
To paraphrase Ann Landers (or was it Dear Abby?):

"How old will you be in 5 years if you don't get your ears pierced?"

paulaprimo
01-24-2014, 08:57 PM
i have 4 in my left ear and 1 in my right and want to get at least 2 more in my right ear. no pain at all...but if its pain you want ,
try getting your nipples pierced!! i have a high tolerance for pain but that hurt like a motherf@#&*$... :)

suchacutie
01-24-2014, 09:04 PM
I had it done at age 49. It was an instantaneous pinch. I must admit that they were a little annoying as we continued to walk around the mall but after 15 min I completely forgot we had done anything that night but shop.

Miriam-J
01-24-2014, 10:23 PM
I had mine done at 51, two years ago. I work in a conservative business in a conservative state, yet have never had any problems with anyone about it. A few friends asked about it, but just told them 'I felt like it'. Very undramatic.

Miriam

Jilmac
01-24-2014, 10:50 PM
I got mine pierced at age 64 which was five years ago. It goes so fast, it feels like a little pinch but once the studs are in, there's no pain at all. I keep my studs in continuously in guy mode and only remove them when I dress and wear beautiful earrings with an outfit.

MissTee
01-24-2014, 11:01 PM
I will get them pierced when I announce my retirement in a few years. Until then it's clip on's for me.

heatherdress
01-25-2014, 12:50 AM
If you are seriously dying to pierce your ears - just do it. What are you waiting for?

MeDeanna
01-25-2014, 06:19 AM
I like your attitude. I feel certain that after raising my family and attaining most if not all of the American Dream, I have the right to my dream.

Thank you.

Donnagirl
01-25-2014, 06:43 AM
Wish I could but that would be too much of a give away. Not something hidden easily by short hair.

chelyann
01-25-2014, 11:26 AM
i had short hair and had 1 in each ear, then i put in the 2nd set and no questions, then i started to grow out my hair and put in the 3rd set and still no fuse, my hair is below my shoulders and keep it in a pony tail all the time. and now i wear studs in the top 2 and 3/4 inch hoops in the bottom all the time.

Jaylah414
01-25-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm 54, and I've never had a piercing or a tattoo. I'd love to have my ears pierced, but it's not something that can be hidden in the workplace. As a matter of fact, wearing any jewelry in the workplace is not allowed for those of us who work around moving machinery and high voltages. Nevertheless, if a fifty year old man were to suddenly show up at work with both ears pierced, the implications, or should I say reactions, are obvious. I live and work in a small community that is not very tolerant. I also work a contract that is reviewed annually. I've been working this contract for five years and wouldn't want to create any friction.

I wonder how many others face this dilemma. Probably, if both my wife and I did not have this work issue, we'd be long gone from the little closet.

Janet Doe
01-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Something else I would love to do, not quite sure how the SO would go for it thou !

I also work in a metal stamping / fabrication plant, i`m not really sure I have the confidence to suddenly show up with two pierced ears ... Its not anything like getting your first tattoo at 50+.