PDA

View Full Version : Pantyhose and Soldiers!

Allison Chaynes
01-24-2014, 11:54 PM
After reading a few threads on pantyhose, I thought I'd share something I thought was commonly known to soldiers (but maybe not?). During my Army days, I learned from some ex Special Forces guys that wearing pantyhose during long road marches reduced or prevented blisters. I recently saw one of the various survival shows on TV with Mykel Hawke where he taught his wife the same trick. Sadly I never tried it, as I was too paranoid about being caught CDing.

Jinny M
01-25-2014, 12:29 AM
I was in the Infantry, Myself and a few other guys from my unit used to wear them for long rucks and road marches as well as for warmth in the winter. It does work to prevent blisters, worked for me every time , Plus I Loved Wearing them :)

heatherdress
01-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Not sure about SF road marches but guys would wear panty hose for protection against sand fleas.

Gillian Gigs
01-25-2014, 01:13 AM
Are there any vets who were in Vietnam out there? I knew someone who had been over there and he said that many of them wore pantyhose in the delta area to help deal with the leeches. I guess they could get bad when you were crawling through the swampy areas all day. Apparently the pantyhose helped in removing the leeches easily. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

Stephanie47
01-25-2014, 03:39 AM
I was in the infantry in I corp (Northern Part of Viet Nam). I never heard of it. With day time shade temperatures over 100 degrees pantyhose would be a non starter. Nobody in my unit wore anything but fatigue pants and a tee shirt. Wearing underwear/shorts would lead to chaffing. If you wore shorts they rode up to your crotch, balled up with sweat and dug into the grease of the groin area. The chaffing would give you open sores which usually led to 'jungle rot' in the groin area. Any open wound led to festering jungle rot. To this day, forty three years later my arms are scarred from festering sores.

Katey888
01-25-2014, 06:52 AM
My B-in-law was a squaddie/ infantry doing foot patrols and surveillance in Belfast during the 1980s - pretty rough times and featured the usual menu of IEDs, riots, small-scale shoot outs. It used to be constantly sub-zero in the winter so he used to send home for pairs from his mum... anything for warmth either when patrolling or stuck in a hedge in bandit country. I don't believe he still CDs though... maybe I should ask...? :D

Katey x

Shari
01-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Pantyhose in Vietnam?
Wasn't it always 900 degrees and 2000 percent humidity?
In weather like that, you try to take things off, not put them on. I was in I Corps so I can't speak for the delta guys.

Donnagirl
01-25-2014, 06:58 AM
News to me. Been out with some British Royal Marines who dress in drag as a tradition, but never been out in the 'J' even slightly under dressed. I have dived in the pacific in Lycra, defence against jellyfish and heard that the Aussie lifesavers wear pantyhose for the same reason but never seen it. Spent eights days in a mountain op at 6000' wishing for my leggings and boots!

iGenny
01-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Letting my geek side out - William Shatner (Kirk) taught Patrick Stewart (Picard) to wear pantyhose while riding horses for the movie "Star Trek: Generations."

Beverley Sims
01-25-2014, 07:10 AM
All sorts of people wear panty hose as well as tights.
Jockeys are another source.

Stephanie Miller
01-25-2014, 08:36 AM
When I use to ride horses a lot into the wilderness for hunting/fishing I, (and at least one other guy I know), wore them. Made riding more comfortable. Less saddle chafing.
The side benefit was when we reached the higher altitudes in the mountains they acted as minor thermal long johns.

Marcelle
01-25-2014, 08:41 AM
As a serving member in the military . . . yup and it works much the same way wicking socks work in boots. Wear them for long infils and definitely on cold days (leggings that is) . . .funny though never thought of it as underdressing just plain common sense.

Hugs

Isha

stacycoral
01-25-2014, 08:43 AM
There was a military movie where the father told his son to wear them on guard duty to help stay warm.

Kristy 56
01-25-2014, 09:06 AM
I think it might have been Joe Namath ( former football player)back in 68 or 69 that made it fashionable for men as cold weather wesr.