PDA

View Full Version : getting through us customs in toronto

melissa_rinaldi
01-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Anyone here ever come through us customs in toronto Pearson airport while dressed with a passport that shows you in all of your male glory? This is not TSA so I don't know what to expect

sandra-leigh
01-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Canada Customs then? I would not _expect_ any problem.

I Am Paula
01-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Customs job is to find and collect on taxable goods entering the country. Unless you're wearing Victorias Secret million dollar diamond bra, they couldn't care less what you wear. Enjoy your trip!

melissa_rinaldi
01-25-2014, 08:51 PM
No. I was asking about the US customs people you face when you leave canada. For those of you that don't know us customs clears people IN the toronto airport. I am enrolled in the global entry program so I guess I'd be making it worse because the kiosks take your picture. Thinking now this might not be a good idea.

UNDERDRESSER
01-25-2014, 11:21 PM
All I know, is that when entering Canada at Pearson, the female Canadian customs agents have the reputation of being totally unreasonable and aggressive. No idea why.

julie w
01-26-2014, 09:50 AM
I have seen two TG s going through the US customs in Toronto , at different times , and know several people that have driven a cross with no problems all they care about is why you are going to the US , and only answer questions asked

One tip before boarding the plane I would go up to the desk and explain you are TG and show them your ID so there is no
line hold up and embarrassment when boarding as you will have to show photo ID
Also going through security you only have to show you boarding pass ,
I hope that helps I am a frequent flyer ,but have not travelled dressed although I am out and about in the real world

Beverley Sims
01-26-2014, 11:49 AM
I have found Canadian customs more polite than our US counterparts.
When I go through and come back 20 mins later they always remark, "Didn't you like it on the other side."
Pay my dollar and away I go.

vallerie lacy
01-26-2014, 11:53 AM
I know if I were with Customs, I'd take you in the back for a strip search. Have fun.

Ressie
01-26-2014, 12:35 PM
I haven't go through en fem, but US customs have been very serious from my experience. I got taken off the train and had my luggage searched once because I was wearing a leather jacket. The worst that could happen is a cavity search, so enter the US at your own risk.

mikiSJ
01-26-2014, 02:47 PM
I believe Melissa was concerned about returning to the U.S. and going through U.S. Customs while still in the airport. I have only returned (for business in drab) from Vancouver, BC to the U.S. and my experience was favorable on return whereas I, and my team, were hassled by the Canadian Customs official for stealing jobs from Canadians (oh, the irony!).

Melissa, I would expect some additional scrutiny, but probably only additional questions. Your image will not be plastered all over anything but will be kept only for future ID purposes. The TG police will not show up at your place of work or home.

I suggest any of us who travel and need ID (passport or DL) get their photos taken with as androgynous a look as you are comfortable with. I believe many states will issue an ID card in addition to your DL and you should use the same type of androgynous image for you passport and ID.