PDA

View Full Version : My First Transgender Support Group

Michelle789
01-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Last night, I went to my first transgender support group. I was really scared and fearful of the unknown and what to expect there. But once I got over the hump and inside the room, I realized it was a warm friendly place.

I ended up presenting as male, but used my female name. No one will judge you, and it's really supportive and we talk about all sorts of trans issues in a casual and open style.

I want to say that support groups really care about your confidentiality, and will NEVER out you. In fact they told us at the start of the meeting that everything we talk about is confidential and that anything heard or said there, stays there. If you're seeking a support group, any legit support group will keep what you say confidential, and will NEVER out you. Outing you is exposing you to prejudice and violence.

My next step is to start seeing a therapist. I got some recommendations, and I will keep you posted.

I'm really glad I went last night and got out of it what I hoped to. Now for the next step....I will keep you posted.

Dana_Drake
01-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks for sharing, Michelle. Stay strong.

dreamer_2.0
01-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Glad to hear you had a positive experience! Next step is finding a therapist, right? :P

PaulaQ
01-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Congratulations Michelle! It takes a lot of courage to make the call and then to walk through those doors. I'm so glad you were able to do those things, hon.

Michelle789
01-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Next step is finding a therapist, right? :P

I got a recommendation, and will try to set up an appointment during the next couple of weeks. I also got a recommendation on an electrologist.

I know this is off-topic, but I also feminized my computer screen. I set my browser and windows colors to a pink color theme.

Nicole Erin
01-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Tg meetings can be interesting to say the least.

mbmeen12
01-26-2014, 04:40 AM
You go gurl and I too, want to join a local TG group. New Years list getting longer:)

BOBBI G.
01-26-2014, 06:57 AM
I attend two different groups. Couldn't be happier. One is much more structured, and is moderated by a Psychiatrist at my VA Med Center. The other is moderated by a Transgender girl. and is much more of an open agenda. I leave both feeling as though I learned something and feeling better about myself.

Bobbi

TrishaMarie
01-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Way to go, I wish I had the guts to attend a group.

ShannonDragon
01-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Quite often here at IXE (Indianapolis support group) a new person shows up drab.

We don't care, just glad they showed up! As we tell them, we all had to start sometime.

paulaloha
01-28-2014, 12:49 AM
I am going to my first meeting on Saturday and I am quite nervous! But hearing your story of success has strengthened my resolve! I am thinking about going dressed but still unsure. I guess we'll see how I feel about my look and outfit on Saturday.

Congrats on your first meeting!