PDA

View Full Version : A small step backwards

Sandraellen
01-26-2014, 02:29 AM
I thought my wife was slowly accepting my dressing,(not to often and never outside), but recently a celebrity british crossdresser named Grayson Perry went to Buckingham Palace to receive an honour from Prince Charles and he wore a dress with matching jacket ,heels and a wide brimmed hat, with his makeup and jewellery he looked really amazing. My wifes comment bless her, was that he should have gone dressed "properly" in a mans suit. Grayson didn't curtsey when he met the prince he bowed as a man would.

KaceyR
01-26-2014, 03:08 AM
Now this is from the 'colonies' so take my thought with a grain of salt...

To be fair... I'd think there's a lot more involved with the palace/royalty protocol as well as recognizing such...
That might have been more in the mind here than just CD intolerance.
Just a thought anyways. So her comment may have been thinking more on that aspect of propriety,etc.

While I saw news of Grayson's award, I myself (from the states) really wasn't thinking on the aspect of a CDer
curtsey'ing or bowing... so it would depend on prioritization and being more aware of protocol I guess..

Joanne f
01-26-2014, 05:39 AM
You have to remember that your wife is personally dealing with the way you are and then she see's this other person and how far they have gone with it , things like that gives us hope for acceptance but your wife has to now try to balance it up in her mind what it might mean or affect how far you will want to go in the future so it may appear to you that she has been knocked back a bit by it all so just give her time to rebalance her thoughts on it all .

Katey888
01-26-2014, 06:10 AM
I think there's deep irony when we have a celeb CDer. On the one hand it's great that sometimes, one of 'us' actually makes it into the media in a positive sense (and Perry's art isn't bad for contemporary stuff... imho :)) on the other hand, someone will find something to have a bit of a snicker. :angry:
Perry is a man - men bow, The fact he happens to be wearing unconventional clothes for a male, does not mean he should curtsey. Sounds to me, Sandra, that your wife is probably having a bit of a pop at guys in frocks - but should you be surprised? Best just to laugh it off and make the point that 500 years ago, they both would have been wearing hose, lacey collars and pearl earrings :D didn't make them any less men...

Katey x

Marcelle
01-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Hi Sandra,

I don't know if this is a step backwards. I truly believe that you wife may have been commenting on the propriety of protocol when meeting the Royal Family and the heir presumptive.

Hugs

Isha

Stevie
01-26-2014, 09:36 AM
I don't see it as a step backwards. She is telling you how she feels. My wife appears to be slowly accepting but has made it clear to me that she will never accept me like this. I wish I never told her. Don't get me wrong she does love me and let's little things go but the one key thing in our relationship has been compromised is trust. I sacrificed this when I told her and I'm paying for it today.
Besides that I thought it was acceptable to dress like that for the royal court. Haven't they dressed like that for century's. They are in the public eye and have to look their best. I would have pointed that out to clarify why he dressed that way.

sweetshauna
01-26-2014, 10:06 AM
I think you're ok, not a step back. Again and I know it sounds cliché, cuz I tend to say it so often, but I agree with Isha.

Beverley Sims
01-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Yes I saw that, big hat and black dress.
I did miss the protocol of a curtsy though.
She did look good. :)
If prince Charles can put up with Spike Milligan's antics he can put up with just about any one else. :)

Vanessa Rose
01-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Could it not be just an off day for her or a sarcastic comment made at a moments time. I know the British are more paused with their comments however maybe a simple conversation would do at the right moment.

Best of luck then

Vanny

Ressie
01-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Looks like a step forward for CDs in the UK. When will the POTUS give an award to a CD at the white house?

Sarah Marie
01-26-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm learning so much on this forum! I now know about Grayson Perry and protocol when meeting royalty! Sandraellen, it has been my experience that wives, no matter how apparent their acceptance, always have a little hidden resentment (especially if you tell them after you marry them)... again, that's just my experience.

AmyGaleRT
01-26-2014, 06:25 PM
I went and looked for pictures. She looked good! The dress was quite tasteful and the hat was the perfect finishing touch.

- Amy

julia marie
01-26-2014, 06:29 PM
I wonder if Perry may have checked with the royal protocol office to 1) confirm that wearing a dress was ok and 2) how to handle the bow/curtsy question. I don't know. Just curious.

Lorileah
01-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Looks like a step forward for CDs in the UK. When will the POTUS give an award to a CD at the white house?

maybe when one does something that deserves an award? He has already appointed transgendered people to positions.

Sandraellen
01-27-2014, 02:20 AM
His outfit had been agreed in advance by the palace, they said that people would have been more upset if he had turned up in jeans.

natcrys
01-27-2014, 09:52 AM
I'd say it's still a huge step forward for CD's in general.. meeting the Queen in such a way!

Fellow Dutchies, correct me, but the only few times CD's (not TS or drag queens) are in the news in the Netherlands it's either neutral or just mildly negative in a sort of understated pity kind of way.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm off trying to achieve something important so I can meet our King Willem and Queen Maxima! :D