PDA

View Full Version : Are there any educators here?

laura_dear
01-29-2014, 07:31 AM
I'm a schoolteacher. I don't know how far I will be going on the gender spectrum in the next few years, but I would like to stay in education. Obviously, this will be problematic.

I am trying to find a person who fits the T in LBGT to a "T" and can help me along or at least commiserate on my difficult professional/personal journey.

Jessicah
01-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Hello Laura,

Afraid I can't be of any real assistance for you other than to offer my thoughts and well wishes for you. I can imagine that your situation might pose some very unique challenges given your chosen profession. After reading a similar situation somewhere (please don't ask me where as I've searched and read so much information over the last few months) the educator appeared to have no issues with the students. Her troubles were primarily other staff, administrators and specifically parents.

Best of luck

Nicole_P
01-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Hi Laura-

I am currently in my 35th year of teaching. I teach high school math, and have been teaching as Nicole for the last 5 years. You can google my name (Nicole Kintz) to find out how the initial transition went, but as of right now, I am 'just another female teacher', and am doing quite well. The students love me (cause I'm authentic!) and I love them! I could not be happier professionally, but the journey has had its challenges no doubt. I was in the same school as 'Nick', but transitioned to Nicole, and am soooooo much =happier!! When I decided to transition, it was because I knew I couldn't continue as my male self and make it to retirement. BUT, I have! And now I don't know if I want to or not, as I am having the best time ever as a teacher, AND I get to wear a skirt or dress everyday! IT IS AWESOME!! If you have the courage to do it, it is worth it!! (BTW, I did it in Oregon where a new law at the time protected me from being fired). I am at your service- if I can help you, I will!