PDA

View Full Version : Name change during divorce - good idea or bad idea?

PaulaQ
01-29-2014, 07:16 PM
So I can't get my gender marker changed quite yet, but I'm starting my divorce with my wife finally, and my attorney pointed out that I can change my name for free during the proceeding. I had planned on doing it with my gender marker, later this year, but well, free is free.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this is a good idea? I'd change my passport and SS card at the same time, too. Then deal with the mountain o' stuff that has to change when you change your name legally. (I'd also have to come out at work at that point, which is fine, I'm OK with that - I work remotely, if people want to gossip, hell, I'll never hear it.)

Angela Campbell
01-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Why not....free is free.....

AllieSF
01-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Unless there is a big complication hidden away someplace, I agree, go for it now and it may start you working on a few things sooner than later and that just may be in your long term favor. Good luck.

RADER
01-29-2014, 08:09 PM
You have a lawyer and the court to approve everything, No Brainier.
It is like one stop shopping.
Do it.
Rader

PretzelGirl
01-29-2014, 10:48 PM
It doesn't sound like there is a reason not to. So without anything holding you back, there should be no issues.

Marleena
01-29-2014, 10:51 PM
You might as well go for it, you've already moved on.

Jessicah
01-30-2014, 12:44 AM
Free? Yes please. I'd do it just to prevent having to deal with the hassle and expense of going through with another legal proceeding later on. Two birds with one stone, so to speak.

traci_k
01-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Not having been through it yet. I always like FREE and its one more thing out of the way.

Transition is a given. Go for it.

Hugs,

Traci

PaulaQ
01-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Actually, because this is Texas, I'm going to call another attorney I know who specializes in this stuff, and ask her if changing the gender marker is harder if the name change isn't done too. There basically aren't any rules for the judges in this state on this stuff - they can do whatever they want. So the key is to make sure you do what they want. I'll ask her and post the answer.

edit: I talked to a local attorney who specializes in trans legal cases, and at least in Dallas County, where I reside, it doesn't matter if I do the name change with the divorce, or with the gender marker change. So the only reason to NOT do it during the divorce is if my wife objects and it complicates settlement of the case.