PDA

View Full Version : How do you learn to sew?

JenniferYager
01-29-2014, 10:01 PM
I bought my wife a nice sewing machine, and she never uses it. I'm honestly considering learning how to sew...but where do you start? How (especially as a guy) do you learn how to sew?

Kate Simmons
01-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Most learn from their Mothers or Grandmothers but they do have classes and at home courses to learn.:)

LenGray
01-29-2014, 10:16 PM
It's hard to 'tell' someone how to do it...There are several books on the subject though, in addition to internet resources. I only know how to cross-stitch and make throw pillows though. I never got the hang of sewing machines but I've really wanted to try :)

UNDERDRESSER
01-29-2014, 10:17 PM
If you bought it from an independent dealer, they sometimes give lessons. One local to here gives I think 3 or 4 free ones if you buy from them. One important fact my GF told me, needles wear out. One large garment is about all you should expect from a needle. After that, they get blunt, and makes it harder to do good work.

linda booth
01-29-2014, 10:33 PM
I had no experience whatsoever. I bought a basic machine. The manual is easy to understand. My public library has an incredible stock of sewing books. Now YouTube has videos that will show you what you need step by step. It seems intimidating at 1st but when you make a skirt fit exactly the way you want, you'll enjoy dressing even more.

Anna H
01-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Hi Jennifer! ♥

It came with a manual...you need that.

The first few pages tell how to thread it
and install needles, set the tension.

Once you know that, it's easy to just trial
& error it a bit and you get the idea of what
happens really quickly....there's nothing
like just doing it to see how easy it really goes.

Also it came with a little box of various parts...
needle threader, various sewing 'presser feet',
...the manual will list them and why you
need them & what they do.

You'll need a yard or so of fabric...and any fabric
place will know what to sell you for learning.
Tell them you're just starting and ask what's the
easiest to sew fabric they have. Nothing
stretchy to begin with...(knits/spandex/etc)

You need some scissors....that you Only
use for cutting fabric. About $9. Fiskars
with an orange handle are fine.

It won't cost very much to get going, and
just practicing making the various types of
stitches will tell you a lot.

Most of what you need to know is in the manual.

It's got endless possibilities once you get just
even a little bit of practice. On a first day, you
can easily make a nice little purse....or a few! :happy:

~Kate~ ♥

darla_g
01-29-2014, 10:38 PM
The Michaels craft stores and i believe Jo-Ann fabrics offer classes for beginners

Jilmac
01-29-2014, 10:46 PM
There are many how to videos on youtube, you might find a useful how to on sewing.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
01-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Its really not that hard. You can find any number of books for beginners. Get yourself an inexpensive basic machine to practice on. Start with simple patterns (easy sew) and use crap old sheets to cut up, pin and practice on. You can do it, trust me ;)

linda booth
01-29-2014, 10:55 PM
It only seems intimidating at 1st. there's that sharp needle & the noise from the machine. Once you put the 2 layers of fabric in place & get it started, presser feet move the fabric for you. The machine does all the work. That's when it becomes fun. I wish there had been YouTube when I started. Just type in "how do I do this..." & someone will show you step by step what you want to know.
You ask how a guy gets started? Actually a lot of guys like operating machinery.

LadyInRed
01-29-2014, 11:11 PM
the local fabric stores around here have a board, sometimes people post offering lessons, or you can post asking for them too

ossian
01-29-2014, 11:18 PM
For me I I've memories of my mom laying out patterns, cutting cloth, piecing everything together and finally sewing everything together.

Bit for me, it started with with the attitude of screw it! I'm gonna teach myself to sew. It has a been real cool experience with lots of mistakes. I own those mistakes and you know what? I get to throw them out and learn from them.

Start small and then layer the skills up to what is your goal.

linda booth
01-29-2014, 11:22 PM
I'd like to recommend a way to sew that requires no experience. I.ve noticed posts in the past complaining that todays slips & nightgowns lack the beautiful laces from the past. Fabric stores have a gorgeous assortment of laces. You can apply them to the bodice & hem by hand. All you need is a needle & thread! No skill required!

Gabbagrl
01-29-2014, 11:40 PM
I took home-ache in high school where I learned to sew. But couldn't remember how to when I got home lol. The hardest part is knowing how to thread the machine.

But I think they have classes at AC Moore and Joanne's fabrics. And I know some Boscov's has classes too. Or you can look up vids on youtube.

And I actually know alot of guys that can sew and maybe 2 girls and thats including my grandmom lol.
Well no one should question why you are taking sewing classes. If you are nervous of that, The guys I know are wrestlers and make their own gear because it is closer. Plus I know single dads that do it.

~GG

DorothyElizabeth
01-29-2014, 11:43 PM
My mother raised four boys, and firmly believed every child should know how to cook, sew, iron, and clean house.

She started me with her machine when I was about seven or eight. The first thing she taught me was how to make a flat folded seam. She had me make bandannas from old worn out skirts of hers. First, she had me iron the skirt so the material was flat. Then I had to cut out the bandanna with pinking shears, so the edges wouldn't ravel. Next, we folded the edges in and ironed them. After that it was on to the sewing machine, and learning to sew in a straight line.

The hardest part about learning to use a sewing machine is learning how to adjust the presser foot and thread tensions so that the interlock occurs within the fabric, and the foot does not pull or create tucks. Start with plain linen or denim - the legs cut off an old pair of leans are great material to learn on. That material is easy to work with and fairly forgiving.

When I was in the ninth grade, she had me make a short sleeved, button down collar oxford cloth white shirt and wear it to school. YOu KNOW I wasn't about to mess that up - the kids would never have let me forget it, if they spotted it and knew I had sewn it. LOL

I make all my own skirts, and have on occasion made blouses, but I hate doing buttons, so usually buy blouses ready-made.

Lynn Marie
01-30-2014, 01:32 AM
I had my grandmother's Singer Featherweight for years after she passed away. What a fabulous machine. Very simple, one stitch, one speed, and no reverse. It was perfect for seam repairs and adequate for most anything I wanted to do. A couple of years ago I wanted to modify some elastic shapers and realized that I needed a zigzag stitch. That led me to a search for a more talented machine. An electronic Pfaff with a walking foot filled the bill perfectly. Sewing machine heaven! Sold the Featherweight for a goodly sum also. Turns out quilters prize them for their portability and simplicity!

Learning to use it was simple. Read the manual and experiment. Find something that needs repair and repair it. Many of us here are still men way down deep with certain mechanical skills that just seem to come naturally. It's just another machine.

Anna H
01-30-2014, 01:46 AM
Ladies who sew...I guess some of you are familiar with the
inexpensive universal walking foot attachments. About
$20 and does make a world of difference for lots of projects.

Look it up on google...it's well worth having...and there are
versions that fit most common (lesser costly) machines.

I'm as pleased as i can be with mine...:happy:

Alexis.j
01-30-2014, 04:08 AM
Practice and patience. .. And get someone to guide you in the right direction if possible.
Start with something very basic, like making small pillows, then work your way up.

Beverley Sims
01-30-2014, 05:34 AM
Just get two small pieces of material and sew around three edges.
Turn inside out and you have a little dilly bag you can put your makeup in.

You do have to learn how to thread the sewing machine, operate the controls, put the foot down, and do not operate heavy machinery whilst under the influence of alchohol. :)

One last warning keep your fingers away from the needle, you do not want to sew your hands together.

Piercing the ears is done quite differently.

Aprilrain
01-30-2014, 07:25 AM
I used another new invention, the inter web, to find sewing classes in my area. Once you get the basics its pretty easy, you can then add to your knowledge with youtube videos and by talking to the guys and gals (mostly gals) at the fabric and sewing machine stores. The biggest thing is not to buy a crap machine! you will hate it and lose interest. Brother, Janome, Bernina, and Juki are a few that are worth buying. everyone knows Singer but unfortunately the new ones are crap. Expect to spend $500ish on a good one if buying new.

just out of curiosity did your wife ask for a machine?

JenniferYager
01-30-2014, 08:59 AM
I bought her a 150 dollar machine from Amazon that had awesome reviews. Her mom has come by before and loves the machine, and she did work with her a bit. Oddly, despite my wife very much being the homemaker in terms of taking care of the house, she seems to just not like to sew (or shop, but that's another story).

To answer your question, she had hinted that she would sew more if she had a machine, but my wife is a spendthrift and won't pay more than 50 dollars for anything unless it is groceries. I end up buying the things like cell phones, vacuums, cars, etc., because she would save money and then wind up with a piece of junk.

rachael.davis
01-30-2014, 09:05 AM
not quite your question, but buy good scissors! The difference you will get is well worth the money.
Don't ever let someone use them on paper believe it or not, it will ruin the edge and you'll have to have them resharpened

Tina B.
01-30-2014, 09:09 AM
I bought a Simplicity pattern, some material, pulled out the wife's sewing machine, once I figured out how to thread it, by following a simple pattern I've made two skirts, and I've made a vest, but tops are a bit harder, still haven't gotten up the nerve to try one of those yet. First skirt was a bit rough, but the second one came out pretty good.
It's fun learning, and feels very girly to sit and sew your own skirts and things.

Anna H
01-30-2014, 09:15 AM
heehee....I love trying on stuff as I'm making it.

Aprilrain
01-30-2014, 10:16 AM
not quite your question, but buy good scissors!

your so right!

mandysmiles
01-30-2014, 11:27 AM
OMG! A couple weeks ago I found out I wasn't the only guy that liked dressing up. Today I find out I'm not the only one who likes sewing. I love this place!

I taught myself by starting with some cute pj's for my wife because the ones she had belonged in a dumpster. I have been doing this for about 4-5 years and mostly make my own patterns for everything. I read as much as i can on the internet and lots of youtube for learning.

MsVal
01-30-2014, 11:48 AM
My grandmother was a seamstress and I had a home-ec class in high school. It's been many, many years since I used a sewing machine, but I've done needle and thread repairs several times this past week.

Cynthia99
01-30-2014, 12:26 PM
I took a class on sewing advertised at a fabric store - and was the only male in the class. The project was to make a fitted skirt - and while they seemed to not have a problem with me in the class seemed relieved when I made the skirt for another girl - my wife. But the skills learned were useful. I made the same skirt for me later, much easier the second time. Its really a useful skill - so don't be afraid to take a class. My mother knew how to sew, I think - but I barely remember her sewing.

Asche
01-30-2014, 09:07 PM
I learned how to use a sewing machine from my mother, when I was young. Most everything else, I've learned by trial and error, and by reading web pages (lapped seams and french seams come to mind.) There's nothing like practice to learn what to do and what not to do.

As for clothes, I started with skirts. The nice thing is that there's not much fitting involved, basically just the length and the waist size (full skirts are more forgiving than straight or fitted ones.) I moved on to jumpers and now I'm working on dresses.

What I really like about sewing my own clothes is that I get to wear exactly what I want which (IMHO) suits my figure, and not whatever ugly sack the fashion industry grudgingly makes in my size. I choose the colors (I like bright colors), I chose the fabric, and I can make it fit me instead of some averaged body shape.

(Time to stop wasting time on the Internet and put cuffs on my latest dress.)

MarcyRex
01-30-2014, 09:27 PM
I also purchased a sewing machine for the wife. She used for a little bit then gave it up. After years of gathering dust, I started to take lessons at Jo Ann Fabrics (local craft store). Yes I was the only guy there but you can pick out your projects. It isn't all skirts and dresses.

I've taken quilted pillow, quilted blanket, pj and purse classes. Fun classes, non-judgmental etc. I've made quilted pillows, purses (that my girls still treasure years later), pajamas, quilted blankets and a whole lot of repairs. With the scrap fabric, I've made dice bags for the Intro to Role Playing games at the local library. Free Swag! How often do you see giraffe or pretty polka dot dice bags? The young girls tend to gravitate to these and ya gotta play to get the swag. I'll go back for another class to fine tune my skills. Plus the ladies all know me, just one of the girls now. :-)

DorothyElizabeth
01-30-2014, 09:52 PM
I have three machines: my grandmother's Singer, which was the first electrified model - it is exactly the same as the treadle machines, but has a motor and a knee lever; a 1936 table model SInger that was given to me; and in 2005, I finally came into the modern age and bought a double needle Shark, with a gazillion different stitches, reverse, a buttonhole attachment (YAY!!!!) and a special foot for installing hidden zippers. I love that machine. It made creating my own clothing infinitely easier. The big old cast iron frame table model Singer has been relegated to the outdoor shop for things like car upholstery, and tent repairs.
I have not bothered with my grandmother's machine, since about 1970, when I took it to Jomax, and had it completely overhauled. SInce then, I have had it out of the case maybe three or four times, just to make sure nothing was rusting.

Pixiesmate
01-31-2014, 12:01 AM
I had to learn how to sew as part of a mechanics course. The first thing I had to actually do it on was the covering for biplane wings - French fell seams and all. I've found anything that doesn't involve trying to keep 20 feet of seam straight to be a piece of cake. It's an easy skill to learn, a hard one to master, and very satisfying once it all comes together. Take a class or two, and then have at it - it's a lot of fun.

lingerieLiz
01-31-2014, 12:09 AM
go to your local library and check out some books and videos. Check out youtube also. There is also a magazine called Threads. There is a Threads DVD on eBay available on beginning sewing for about $20.

Evie08
01-31-2014, 12:11 AM
I agree - JoAnn Fabric has classes for all levels of experience. Singer has some basic information on their website (http://www.singerco.com/sewing-resources/operation-basics)

If you have a different manufacturer they may online information too.

donnalee
01-31-2014, 02:55 AM
In this age of designed-in obsolescence, there are a lot fewer people who sew than there used to be. Good machines are available used for next to nothing if you check thrift stores, garage/yard/estate sales and flea markets. I would recommend Japanese scissors for any fine work, especially with light fabrics; they are extremely sharp and very precise, with a 1 piece design (the spring loop is also the handle) that keeps the blades in alignment.
I remember sitting under my mom's Singer treadle machine when I was very young. She later bought a motor kit for it with a knee lever for speed adjustment and lastly a Morse electric with all the bells & whistles available at that time (1959).
My partner was also a seamstress, bought her own Singer machine with table from a Singer store in what was then a local shopping center; I later found a replacement head for it and another portable complete with accessories. Still have them and am storing them for her daughter.

Teresa
01-31-2014, 04:28 AM
Hi Jennifer,
I used on online sizing guide to buy a dress when I received it was about 2 sizes too big, like you I bought my wife a sewing machine, she uses it to make simple curtains and a few repairs and that's it. I needed to reduce the waist and shorten it so I gave it a go, getting the hem level was tricky because you need to go at a reasonable speed, in the end it worked out OK . I dropped a clanger because I forgot to take out the small thread bobbin and my wife had never used that coloured thread. The other point is double check your measurements I wanted to turn a calf length skirt into a knee length and took off 10" instead of 8", I then had the tedious job of extending the hem with a contrasting band all by hand!

Wendi_cd
02-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Like others have said, you can find local classes or youtube, which is loaded with videos.

Definitely, buy a good pair of teflon coated scissors, if they are less than $10, put them down and keep looking.

If you find you really like sewing, you will eventually want to buy a *good* machine, and they are not cheap. And then a serger, and then an embroidery machine and then and then.. :)

mmandy31
02-02-2014, 06:11 AM
My grandmother taught us how to sew I can hem skirts pants use a sewing machine knit darn socks how to use patterns and make clothes.

Roli F
02-02-2014, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=Lynn Marie;3422043][B][I][COLOR="purple"] I had my grandmother's Singer Featherweight for years after she passed away. What a fabulous machine. Very simple, one stitch, one speed, and no reverse. It was perfect for seam repairs and adequate for most anything I wanted to do. A couple of years ago I wanted to modify some elastic shapers and realized that I needed a zigzag stitch. That led me to a search for a more talented machine. An electronic Pfaff with a walking foot filled the bill perfectly. Sewing machine heaven! Sold the Featherweight for a goodly sum also. Turns out quilters prize them for their portability and simplicity Quote]

I have a singer 201 lightweight sewing machine it has Reverse, and a separate attachment for zig zag love its simplicity tiny size and quiet running,
though having to rewire the insides due to age deterioration a bit fiddly and an injury to my thumb related elsewhere here

Danielle_cder
02-02-2014, 11:41 AM
well ur half way there just play with the machine! I use to sew all the time should bust that ole singer out again!

Sharon B.
02-02-2014, 11:56 AM
I was taught to sew by my mother but have tried to forget it when I was married because in my ex-wife and her mother said real men didn't to that, only men that liked other men done that.

Jackie7
02-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Yikes this thread takes me back. my mom taught me how to sew when I was a kid. she thought everyone should know the basics. I've always done my own repairs and buttons with a needle and thread, and I can stitch leather with an awl, but haven't used a machine in decades. I did notice some excellent used cabinet-style sewing machines in the $100 to $150 range at the local mega-thrift shop, landed there from estates, I guess. It'd be fun to make a nice and well-fitting blouse or skirt.

weekend woman
02-02-2014, 02:23 PM
I always had to thread our sewing machine for my mother, so I knew how to do that. Being a little fat kid I always splitting my pants, so it was learn to sew up split seams or walk around with a hole in my pants. I even made a couple skirts freehand no pattern, just material, a measuring tape and scissors.

larry07
02-02-2014, 05:24 PM
As others have said, there are lots of good books out there. My public library has many. Also good info on the web and youtube. Sewing is not much different than putting together a bookcase from Ikea. Just read the instructions and take your time. Practice on scrap material. I took a beginning sewing class at my local community college that was quite helpful. I was not the only man in the class.

ambigendrous
02-02-2014, 06:06 PM
When I retired I bought a machine - a Brother Innovis 4000D, combination sewing/embroidery machine - and taught myself the art of machine embroidery and digitizing to make embroidery designs. I've tried basic sewing, and can put together tote bags, throw pillows, picnic table covers, etc. but I haven't tried making clothes yet. What confuses me is not how to get the machine to work - that's easy - it's the esoteric things, like:

What is the best fabric to use for a specific project?
What is the appropriate stitch to use for a specific purpose?
What is "batting" used for, and why?

I can read patterns, but they seem to use a language that they assume you understand. That's true of ANY field, though - I was in CAD Support in the semiconductor industry and I know I could not carry on an intelligent conversation about my job with someone outside that field. I've taken the classes that the sewing machine store offered, and they showed me how to use the machine, but there's a olt to learn about the minutiae that doesn't seem to be in any books...

Alice Torn
02-02-2014, 06:32 PM
As a lifetime bachelor, with no SO, I have had to sew my own clothes for many years, and I always prick myself with the needle, and yell! I don't do a very good job usually, either. Never got to have a wife or SO. 59 now.

Pandys
02-02-2014, 06:41 PM
This is great website I learned a lot here - https://www.professorpincushion.com

JoanAz
02-02-2014, 07:04 PM
I guess I am Just Lucky. I learned to Sew in the US Army, Parachute Rigger, Macho thing to do but has been very handy in my Life.
((((HUGGS))))

Asche
02-02-2014, 08:05 PM
I was taught to sew by my mother but have tried to forget it when I was married because in my ex-wife and her mother said real men didn't do that, only men that liked other men ....
Jeez! :brolleyes: The nonsense people try to brainwash you with. Did they also say stuff like, if you wore anything pink, your you-know-what would fall off and you'd turn into a girl?

I hope, now that she's your ex-wife, you don't pay any attention to that sort of rubbish. (Or worry about whether you're a "real man." :yucky:)

Jenn0714
02-05-2014, 11:28 PM
I bought my wife a nice sewing machine, and she never uses it. I'm honestly considering learning how to sew...but where do you start? How (especially as a guy) do you learn how to sew?

There are many ways you can learn to sew depending on what your comfortable with. If you have a JoAnn Fabrics in your area they often offer different classes it may not be exactly the item you wanted to sew but teaches the techniques needed that can be applied to other items. A lot of areas the local technical college will have night adult learning classes and offer sewing classes. Another option is to find a Quilt Shop in the area that also sells Sewing Machines. They may offer classes or one on one training for a certain cost. I know the quilt shop near me offers this class and its popular for new sewers.

There is also a great site online you can get paid classes: http://www.craftsy.com/sewing

If a class is not something your comfortable with then I would suggest searching videos on YouTube. I sew but mostly do quilts and small home dec projects. I have not yet expanded to do clothing but I know for a fact there are a dozens and dozens of tutorial videos on You Tube for all kinds of sewing projects. If I were you I would start by finding a video to teach the basics or how the machine works like threading the machine, winding a bobbin etc.

Hope this helps :)

mikiSJ
02-05-2014, 11:51 PM
My daughter came across this advice from a 1949 Singer manual:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_trFiyjIKHjM/TTCvF679_fI/AAAAAAAABXA/eYB0bRJcdHg/Singer%20Sewing%20Hints_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=80 0

Jenn0714
02-05-2014, 11:58 PM
My daughter came across this advice from a 1949 Singer manual:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_trFiyjIKHjM/TTCvF679_fI/AAAAAAAABXA/eYB0bRJcdHg/Singer%20Sewing%20Hints_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=80 0

I love all things sewing but especially vintage sewing! That is such a cool find!

Aaron Zwidling
03-09-2014, 01:24 PM
I certainly like Singer's advice of putting on clean dress, having my hair in order, powder and lipstick on. Maybe that's why I haven't had as much success with my sewing as I would like, I haven't been dressed properly! Seriously though, when talking about sewing I think there is a sometimes a disconnect regarding what different people are talking about. To me we are talking about two different skills that are often lumped together when people post replies. There is the part about using your sewing machine to sew pieces of fabric together, which you can get better at by practising with your machine or taking simple sewing classes. Then there is the part about constructing a garment, which is a more difficult skill set to master. You have to understand the different ways garments can be constructed, and then gain skills in using those methods yourself. Then of course there are those inevitable times you make mistakes, and have to understand how to correct those mistakes without starting the entire garment over. On top of that there is the pattern itself. I don't think there will be anyone on this board that can take a dress pattern, sew it together and expect it to fit a male body properly. Even woman typically have to alter the standard patterns as few woman are a perfect dress size, and the problem is even worse with men as our bodies have different ratios that the typical woman, which means more extensive alterations to the standard patterns.

I suggest you start out by learning to use a sewing machine, and once you are comfortable with that sew something simple like a skirt. If you are still interested after accomplishing that it is then that you can start to try and master some of the pattern alteration and garment construction techniques that will let you create things like custom made dresses. This will likely involve some kind of more advanced lessons if you ever want to get decent at it. The dressmaker I work with has been doing this for 30 years, so it would be silly to think I could get to her level of knowledge by working with her for a few hours here and there. I have probably put in something like 30 hours of one on one instruction with her, and while I have gotten significantly better than when I started I still have a long way to go to get truly proficient. If none of this appeals to you then you should likely just stick to buying off the rack or on the Internet, and have some CD friendly dress maker do alterations for you to get a nice fit.