PDA

View Full Version : A coded message

Helen_Highwater
02-10-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm sure many will of heard of cockney rhyming slang, i.e. plates = feet (plates of meat), talking on the dog = phone(dog and bone). What a great many may not of encountered is Polari, a coded language used by actors, dancers, merchant seamen who were gay as a way of conversing without others knowing the contents of their conversation. Much of this has now found it's way into every day usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polari
scroll down the page for a list.

Is there scope for the CD equivalent? Our own speak? One side of the pond calls them panties and the other knickers so what not have knickies or combine with pantaloons to have kloony's which would become "I'm under dressing in a new pair of George". Wearing foundation garments could be under pinning. Someone who's CD could be referred to as "Non vinyl", "post cassette" or a Philips (it was Philips who invented the CD disk). Get a large enough vocabulary going and anyone just cruising the web who strayed here just wouldn't have a clue what was going on. I'm already confused!
Go on, time to be creative!

Katey888
02-10-2014, 03:22 PM
I know I'm a complete softie - but I always feel so sorry for zero reply threads - I suppose I hope someone will do the same for me one day.. :)

Helen - what a great idea! Maybe... :eek: (an opinion clearly not shared by many others...)

Honestly - having only been on the forum a couple months, I can't understand a lot of what goes on anyway... :)

I like the idea of wearing Georges - that's cool - I'm not sure Mr Clooney's agent and lawyers would approve, but who knows?

And I've tried to think of some more - really I have - and all I could come up with was: Over our Georges we could wear Williams (that's William Caxton = printing press = Dress!!!)

Honestly I think it's too complex - just a minute! You're not anywhere near Bletchley Park are you...? Or the donut in Cheltenham...? :)

Now I'm off down the frog and toad to the German cruiser for a quick pig's ear... :eek:

Katey x

reb.femme
02-10-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm starting a campaign to keep Brummies (near enough) and Hampshire (Katey) away from Cockney rhyming slang. Thought I'd take a butcher's, couldn't Adam wot me mincers saw. Or something like that.

I have enough trouble with the English language without having another dialect to contend with :heehee:.

Rebecca

Butchers hook = look
Adam and Eve = believe
Mince Pies = eyes (abbr. mincers)

Vanessa Rose
02-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Make a left turn at bobs house of teeth, drive thirty feet and you will arrive!

Don't tell a soul!!!

Shhhh

V

Lorileah
02-10-2014, 07:05 PM
this is an MtF thread, if you are going to post language stuff that has nothing to do with MtF, I will have to close it. The question was
Is there scope for the CD equivalent? Our own speak?

Beverley Sims
02-10-2014, 08:47 PM
I always transgress. :)
No rhyming slang that I know only key phrases like time for a change and about time I was dressed.

Too subtle for those not in the know.

Helen_Highwater
02-11-2014, 04:09 AM
Looking at the list of polari phrases I noticed that many are derivatives of French, German or mainly Italian words. However I digress.
tights/pantyhose are made these days often from lycra they could be "likes". Stockings = "pollies": nylon is a polymer. Holdups=grips.
The Italian for a bra is Reggiseno so "Regi". Wig =Parrucca = "para".
anyway I'm off to try on my new wills with the matching regi george set. Wouldn't of course be complete without my under regi pinin and grips.