PDA

View Full Version : Why do I do this to myself?

Jenniferathome
02-13-2014, 05:38 PM
I can't help but do side by side comparisons when I buy something that was modeled. I saw this dress on that woman and when "Wow! I want that." Winter has been dragging on and I thought a spring time casual dress would be nice. Now I know I wouldn't look like her, but come on, a size 2?!?!? I went with a 14 to make sure the button front wouldn't gap (I normally wear a 12). Am I really 7 times bigger than her? Does anyone else to this? I must be nuts to keep flogging myself.

Raychel
02-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Compare of you want, I think you look 1000 times better then her. :daydreaming:
Honestly the dress looks better on you.

those tall skinny models, do nothing for me. :daydreaming:

Kimberly Renee
02-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Try putting your right foot in front. Makes a world of difference. :heehee:

I "flog" myself every time I look in a mirror. My body might be OK, but my face screams "COW!"

Annaliese
02-13-2014, 05:56 PM
She just to dam skinny. I think I would have go with the size 12 either way you look great.

winci
02-13-2014, 06:10 PM
I think you look natural in that dress. I wouldn't be surprised if the model in the photo has been photoshopped. The cuts look different in the two dresses.

Shy_Confusion
02-13-2014, 06:36 PM
It's natural to compare ourselves to others boy mode or girl mode.
The thing you have to ask yourself is "Do I like me in this dress?" Not "Do I like this dress on me versus on the girl in the ad?".
Hope that helped.

Rachelakld
02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
If skinny was smiling, she may have won, but you are looking good, happy and smiling, so win the photographic section, the creative section, and the most likely to get a date section.

Jenniferathome
02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Shy, you are dead on on this. But funny thing is, in guy mode I never do this. I don't care. Somehow I care in girl mode. Crazy.

Kate Simmons
02-13-2014, 06:49 PM
It's usually the style and/or color of an outfit that catches my eye. I begin to formulate what I can do with it rather than the static model in the catalog.Despite the size difference, we will both have our own particular charm wearing it. :battingeyelashes::)

Anna H
02-13-2014, 06:54 PM
It's the heels. Wear some red ones and you two could be twins.

:happy:

Patty F
02-13-2014, 06:54 PM
The dress looks better on you, she is too skinny.

~Joanne~
02-13-2014, 06:55 PM
I never have Myself. I just look at the dress on the model and ask myself....Can I pull that off?

Barbie Anne
02-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Dear I stopped comparing myself to those anorexic stepford models ages ago. Besides you have a better figure, nicer legs and much prettier face and smile than her. She's a fence post..yuck. Never got the twiggy look.

Shy_Confusion
02-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Shy, you are dead on on this. But funny thing is, in guy mode I never do this. I don't care. Somehow I care in girl mode. Crazy.

I don't know how you are in guy mode, but for me I have a "Don't really care how I look right now!" or "good enough!" attitude for the most part.
As soon as I start thinking about CDing I get way more into personal appearance and really start caring about how I look or am gonna look. Then I start going crazy thinking I forgot to buy a hygiene product I was supposed to.

lovetobedani
02-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Do I?? It's more like when don't I. I couldn't and don't ever want to be an overly skinny size 2. Thoes models look like toothpicks with boobs to me. I would love to be a size 12 or 14 like you Jennifer but it'll never be. I was that size when I was 16.

BTW that dress looks killer on you.

heatherdress
02-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Jennifer - maybe you should compete with some photo shopping, like magazines do.

You look better than her, anyway.

Jenniferathome
02-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks Heather! Nothing like losing 30 pounds instantaneously! Nice perspective

RenneB
02-13-2014, 07:56 PM
You got it Jennifer. The advertisers have us all hooked. Our minds say, hey, I look like her, I'll buy that one and I'll be just like her.... as long as I don't look in the mirror. In my neck of the woods, it's pretty easy to appear 'skinny'.

That being said, I love your choice of blendy outfits. I think you are a true inspiration to many of us. I thank you for posting....

Renne.....

Kristy 56
02-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Personally I think you look pretty good Jennifer,and those models are too skinny. Even the GGs believe that. As for me,I just want to look like most of the GG s I see.

Jorja
02-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Here is the deal. We are not size 00 models who have been Photoshopped. The cut of the dress is made for her body not ours nor most GGs. If you want to get the same look as her, locate a good seamstress. I have to have most of my clothing made for me. I cannot buy off the rack and expect it to fit.

MsPriscilla
02-13-2014, 08:44 PM
i agree with all that has been said, the dress on you looks right; on the model it looks like a mannequin in a window

S. Lisa Smith
02-13-2014, 09:01 PM
I think you look wonderful and just right!!

ShelbyDawn
02-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Jennifer, I agree with the multitude, you look awesome and the model is way to skinny.
My only issue with this whole deal is you forgot to tell us where you got that cute dress.
I want one, too. :)

:hugs:

Shelby

GretchenJ
02-13-2014, 09:43 PM

Not crazy at all.. In guy mode in takes me 20 seconds to get dressed. Grab any shirt from drawer a, any jeans from drawer b, grab my one and only coat and out the door.

In my limited outings as Gretchen, it's a totally different story. Colors have to match each other, stripes can't go with other stuff have to matched, things have to be coordinated, different belts for different outfits.

I went away for 5 days on vacation last year, ( i only dressed at home at that time, so I didn't bring any girl clothes), the only shoes I packed were the sneakers on my feet. I went away for 2 days last week and brought 4 outfits and 3 pairs of shoes.

But this is the reason I think I have been drawn to crossdressing in the first place. There are so many different options, more variety of tops, skirt types, shoe styles. Colors abound.

Finally, and I am not just saying to make you feel better Jennifer.. I have not seen one picture for you that you did not look good in. You don't look the same as the model, and we don't give a rats behind when the muscular model wearing the suit in the ad don't come close to how we look in it. But you look pretty in that dress, and from the smile on your face makes you feel nice, and I would rather have pretty than drop dead gorgeous any day of the week!!

Annaliese2010
02-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Pretty dress but no you're right. Important to choose what matches you. Can always work to change yourself. Never too late despite everything. Your body is flexible changeable robust. You can fit in if willing to give up. Change your lifestyle diet and stuff. Not as hard as you might think.

sometimes_miss
02-13-2014, 10:05 PM
I think it looks like it fits you well. Remember, female sized clothes don't correspond to any known measurment on earth, other than wishful thinking on the part of the women, after all, a size zero would mean she wouldn't exist! Women are always concerned with numbers; my ex wife and some previous GF's refused to even try on a size numbered above what they felt they should wear, even if it meant they wouldn't buy something that they really, really wanted. They'd go home lamenting that the store didn't carry 'their size'. or that the dress didn't fit right, all the while refusing to try on the next up size. Thankfully, most of us don't suffer from that problem; I'd have worn a size 200 if it fit! We're all snowed in up here in the northeast today, and travel is out of the question. So I'm stuck alone in the house until the blizzard is over. This may be the hardest test of mine yet, because while I can't drive, my stash is within walking distance. Aaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!

Beverley Sims
02-13-2014, 10:06 PM
The comparison looks a little skinny and scrawny.
You look like a nice cuddly size.
I wont do that I will leave it to your wife. :)
Well proportioned and quite well presented.
Yes I don't look so hot in a bikini these days either.

Helen Grandeis
02-13-2014, 10:09 PM
You look great! You have a much nicer smile! That is what people want to see when they come home.

KaceyR
02-13-2014, 10:46 PM
size zero would mean she wouldn't exist!

I keep feeling there's some sort of physics.. Maybe tied with quantum theory... That applies here... :)
It sure seems like it'd take a physicist to make sense out of so many sizing differences....

Other than that it looks good on ya! And yeah to me that model version doesn't look to match the numbers they present...

MonctonGirl
02-13-2014, 10:53 PM
haha - I do the same - and have a whole "to do" list of outfits and looks I want to buy/try

HollyH
02-13-2014, 10:58 PM
It looks great on you. Clothes will never look the same on a model as they do on a real person. If you saw the back of her in that moment, she probably has all sorts of clips and things holding the dress perfectly in place. Girl on the left looks so stiff and uncomfortable, while you look happy and confident. Don't worry so much about how you look, focus more on how you feel. More often than not feeling good = looking good.

Jacqueline Winona
02-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Jennifer, the dress really does look good on you. We're not models, but we always knew that. :) Enjoy it, it suits you well and you don't have to worry about anorexia like that model.

Audrey Sis
02-14-2014, 01:53 AM
What has been said: GGs don't look like models, either. Even models don't look like models! 'shopped, yep. You look wonderful, Jennifer.

Gretchen_To_Be
02-14-2014, 02:58 AM
Hi Jennifer. There are those of us who would love to have your figure. I think you look great.

Lynn Marie
02-14-2014, 03:12 AM
You're feet are wrong and you need a white background. That's the only difference I can see!

It's total folly for girls like me to compare. At 6'3" and 195 pounds I have to set my own style and expect others to follow me! LOL

Vickie_CDTV
02-14-2014, 03:21 AM
If that was true, I would be literally 12 times her size (and would weigh 1200 pounds). Clothing sizes are totally illogical, and were certainly not devised by an engineer.

Hell on Heels
02-14-2014, 03:32 AM
Jennifer the only thing missing are the red heels, and a bit of photoshop.
That dress looks fabulous on you. I believe you already know that though, or
you would not have ever posted it for us to see. Thanks for sharing with us all.
Much Love,
Kristyn

LenGray
02-14-2014, 03:54 AM
Sweetie, that's because you're a real woman. Models like her are air-brushed, Photo-shopped, stretched, and pulled long before they ever reach the aisle. You look so beautiful in that dress, why worry about a Barbie doll?

Also, I'd like to add that Marilyn Monroe is by far the greatest sex symbol this country has ever had and she wore a size 12 ;)

sonialexis
02-14-2014, 04:53 AM
I do compare myself with women a lot too not exactly the way you do though. I think its swell and you've got fantastic measurements quite trim.

AllieSF
02-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Jennifer, I think that this color is not complimentary to you. Everyone, based on skin tone and hair color, has certain colors that are good for their looks and others not so good. These colors in my humble opinion do not work for you. It has nothing to do with weight as Heather pointed out. It has to do with the color of the outfit.

VeronicaMoonlit
02-14-2014, 05:01 AM
Also the color and lighting are different, her dress seems to be more of a pink plaid and yours is orange-y, and orange is not a flattering color for many people. What I think you need is that dress but a slightly different version, say 3/4 sleeves, in a solid or different plaid. That should do the trick. But don't compare yourself to some almost 6 foot tall, perfect looking 20 year old model at any rate, that's a fools errand.

Veronica

MsVal
02-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Having clothing custom made is one option, though an expensive one. A much less expensive DIY approach is to get something that's just a little large and tailor it by bringing in the seams. My wife made me some tailored shirts by making a new seam just inside the existing seams, where needed / as much as needed. Quick, easy, very inexpensive, and even works on thrift store clothing.

AKADonna
02-14-2014, 08:47 AM
There is no comparison! You look great in that dress and I think they should hire you to model for their marketing of it!

teri g
02-14-2014, 11:55 AM
You look great in that dress and probably could have gone with a 12. But you're right to be more concerned with a proper fit than the actual size. Many (if not most) gg's fixate on size more so than proper fit as if the general public is judging them on what size they wear versus how the clothing fits. I think it's even more important for us (cd's) to wear good fitting clothes as a poor fit (i.e. too tight) is just one more "tell".

Amanda M
02-14-2014, 12:08 PM
In brief, Jenn, you cut it. She3 doesn't. Great!

Nicole Erin
02-14-2014, 12:11 PM
In case you forgot, look up - Dove ad: The Evolution of Beauty
The woman starts out looking like Butthead's sister and by the time they makeup, take tons of photos, then photoshop the best one, it is totally different.
If you look up old ads vs the ones of today, you notice models in older ads were only slightly unrealistic where today it is totally unrealistic.

Christinedreamer
02-17-2014, 07:59 PM
To be honest, the FIRST thing I noticed was bright eyes and a genuine smile. THEN the dress and pose. I have no problems with any part of the picture. The fact that your wife is cool with this as well is the icing on the cake.

Nadine Spirit
02-17-2014, 08:52 PM
I think that buying a dress, well any clothes, is like buying a house. Don't fall in love with it til you own it. Meaning - try on something that you like, but if it doesn't work for you, or they don't have the right size for you, move on! All of the time I see mannequins with a cute little outfit on and then try it on me only to be sourly disappointed with the look. I think, gee why did not that work for me, it is cut in all the right places, then I go back and check out the mannequin only to discover all of the pinning they did in the back to get it to fit right. Clothes will always look different on different people.

So try it first, fall in love second!

Danielle71
02-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Does it really matter if you are bigger than her? That dress looks beautiful on you and you look beautiful in it. I'm sure there are a lot of men that would love to take you out on a date in that.

kisses
danielle

GenieGirl
02-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Dont let it get to you. You look great in it. I have muscular arms and bet that my arms wouldnt fit the sleeves of that dress so I'd say you are lucky :) I bout a similare button up dress....guess what...my arms were way to big...oh well ill never try those dresses again lol.

Christen
02-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Hadn't seen this before, Jen. But, Yep, you're just nuts. You have a good figure! Models are not real, they're just ... models.

Christen x