PDA

View Full Version : 50 Ways to name your gender

Sometimes Steffi
02-14-2014, 01:25 AM
Facebook has just updated their gender marker, You now have 50 ways to name your gender. But, unfortunately, the choice crossdresser is not among them.

Beverley Sims
02-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Oh! no, even my spellchecker does not recognise crossdresser.

That makes me a very cross dresser. :)

Zylia
02-14-2014, 10:00 AM
'Cross-dresser' isn't a gender identity in my (and in Facebook's and the LGBTQ organisations') opinion. Fortunately there are identities like transgender, bigender, two-spirit and gender nonconforming that you can pick if you think that your cross-dressing habit is related to a 'non-cisgender' gender identity (hell, you can even pick 'cisgender male' AFAIK) and you want to express this on Facebook.

@Beverly According to the M-W and the Oxford dictionary, cross-dresser is hyphenated.

Laura912
02-14-2014, 10:01 AM
The article in our newspaper (yes, still read paper) that announced the change, was also very positive towards the transgender communities.

sherri
02-14-2014, 11:27 AM
I chose mtf transgender female.

julia marie
02-14-2014, 11:42 AM
The whole list is on Slate: (http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/02/13/facebook_custom_gender_options_here_are_all_56_cus tom_options.html)

I'll admit that I had to Google a few of them to see what they meant. I have no plans to change my FB selection, but if I did, I really like "gender fluid". I love the image of "Hmmm, today, I'll be a guy. Well, maybe just half the day..."

Beverley Sims
02-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Zylia,
In my previous post the phrase is correct.
I will reflect your comments in all my new posts, thank you. :)

I am quite often a cross dresser and always a cross-dresser.

anaissa
02-14-2014, 12:15 PM
I agree that crossdressing is not technically a gender category. I suppose that if I :eek:had to choose, I might consider myself "gender fluid." Ah, labels. Who needs them?

I Am Paula
02-14-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm glad that facebook is giving a choice other than the gender binary. I took a look, but kept my gender female as it is now, but it is a step in the right direction for those who do not fit the category.

Lorileah
02-14-2014, 12:26 PM
I have always liked "Two-spirit" because the native Americans used that, but I realized the other day, I am not two spirit, I am a woman. I think when I signed up for Facebook that is how I identified

Katey888
02-14-2014, 12:44 PM
I do like the idea of 'Pangender'...

Like panacea - we'll be the gender that fixes everything - that's me, love to fix things..

Or close to Peter Pan - definitely a character crossing gender boundaries and not acting his age... :D

And people scared of CDers would suffer panophobia (Google it...)

And we'd all be panjandrums (a mysterious personage of much power.... OED)

Or 'pandemic' - oh... maybe not...

Stop now Katey - put the shorter OED back and step away from the bookshelf... :eek:

Katey x

PS. And never use FB anyway - it's just a tool of the NSA...

Jaymees22
02-14-2014, 01:59 PM
I think I want to be "Genderless", because there are too many labels...Jaymee

PaulaQ
02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
I set mine for plain ol' vanilla "trans woman".

kendra_gurl
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
I was listening to the radio this morning and an elderly sounding woman was mentioning "all this gender stuff" then said she thought it should just be said like the old almond joy/ mounds slogan.

Some times I feel like I HAVE nuts, some times I don't

Barbie Anne
02-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Omg lol too funny :)

PaulaQ
02-14-2014, 02:55 PM

Hate speech on her part. Nearly as funny as the racial jokes I heard in Oklahoma about our President.

kendra_gurl
02-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Hate speech on her part..

Agreed Paula. This woman was complaining about having to put up with all this stuff in the media lately but when I heard it I though damn that does describe me pretty well.

Besides if you feel like you have nuts that's pretty funny I don't care who you are:lol2::lol:

CynthiaD
02-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Oh! no, even my spellchecker does not recognise crossdresser.

That makes me a very cross dresser. :)

My spell checker doesn't recognize half the technical terms I use in my work. I think "crossdresser" is more or less in the same category.

natcrys
02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
I do like the idea of 'Pangender'...

Like panacea - we'll be the gender that fixes everything - that's me, love to fix things..

I like the idea of pan-cakes.. wait.. what were we talking about?

Eryn
02-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Wow, what a list:

Agender Androgyne Androgynous Bigender Cis Cisgender Cis Female Cis Male Cis Man Cis Woman Cisgender Female Cisgender Male Cisgender Man Cisgender Woman Female to Male FTM Gender Fluid Gender Nonconforming Gender Questioning Gender Variant Genderqueer Intersex Male to Female MTF Neither Neutrois Non-binary Other Pangender Trans Trans* Trans Female Trans* Female Trans Male Trans* Male Trans Man Trans* Man Trans Person Trans* Person Trans Woman Trans* Woman Transfeminine Transgender Transgender Female Transgender Male Transgender Man Transgender Person Transgender Woman Transmasculine Transsexual Transsexual Female Transsexual Male Transsexual Man Transsexual Person Transsexual Woman Two-Spirit

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to get rid of the gender marker completely? I hope that someday a gender marker will be as obsolete as a racial marker.

PaulaQ
02-14-2014, 06:15 PM
I don't think either gender or racial markers are useless Eryn, at least if they are used as they should be used - to acknowledge who we are, and our heritage. The diversity of people we have in this nation is one of it's greatest strengths.

Lorileah
02-14-2014, 06:28 PM
and I just noticed that there is a thread about this in media, so this one is closed and members can post remarks in media