PDA

View Full Version : Which of your gender identities influences what Valentine's Day gifts you prefer?

Leslie Langford
02-14-2014, 01:06 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that Americans are expected to spend in the vicinity of $36 billion (yes, that's billions) on Valentine's Day gifts today, and l would assume that the average per capita spend in other Western countries is likely going to be about the same.

Furthermore, the average non-chocolate, non-flowers gift is expected to run about $225, with GG's predominately preferring jewellery, perfume or something similarly personal, while they tend to give their men-folk either gift cards or some kind of electronics-related "toy".

This got me to thinking - which one of your gender identities takes over when craving a gift to commemorate this special occasion - something "girly" like jewellery, perfume, or lingerie, or else a new drill, a table saw, floor mats for your pick -up truck, a new tablet or the latest video game etc. - all of which would typically speak to your "guy" side?

Personally, my idea of the perfect gift from my wife would be a some jewellery or a gift card to my favorite women's clothing store, but at my age, I can't afford to wait any longer for H*ll to freeze over, so I'll just have to do the honors myself...:eek: :heehee: ;)

Barbie Anne
02-14-2014, 01:24 PM
I've spent time thinking about this myself. Mostly today. My wife gave me a heart box of valentine's candy but it had a toolbox pic on it lol. Later I'm making a romantic dinner for her and also doing dishes....giving her the goddess treatment basically :)
She did just surprise me and said my new friends needed pics of me so after supper she's taking several pics of Barbie in different outfits as a present for me.......Can't wait!
But yeah in the past I've always.......always been jealous of those bouquets of roses. Instead I get a rechargeable drill I don't need because I have 3 lol.

Lorileah
02-14-2014, 01:50 PM
makes the 18$ necklace I bought me look cheap. I think I will break up with me

Annaliese
02-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Something girly, dress, jewellery

Jocelyn Quivers
02-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Male side (for now) still controls or has major influence in the gifts/card area(including the price:o). Of course the cards will be the standard from husband to wife genre. It's more the planning of how valentine's day/eve/night events, time together are spent and the romance/love that follows where girl mode takes over and is in charge.

Audrey Sis
02-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Oh, absolutely and without hesitation or question, something girly! CDing is sexual and romantic for me, so I Want my SO to indulge me with any (and all! lol) of those things: lingerie, perfume, jewellry, maybe a spa/salon trip even, for a mani/pedi and leg and bikini wax :D oh my...

Beverley Sims
02-14-2014, 02:46 PM
I go for genuine androgynous chocolate.
I can buy drills and lingerie at any time.
I suppose chocolate too for that matter.

Anyway, who needs an excuse to buy something nice.
I have a birthday everyday, I reset it at the beginning of the year and on my 359th birthday I might catch up with St Nicholas and his cohorts in Sweden. :)

Katey888
02-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Well, not that there's anything really special about Hallow... Mother's d... Secretar... Good Fr.... Valentine's Day - other than hiking Hallmark's stock price again, and an excuse to be all materialistic again.. (I'm having a positively spiritual, anti-materialist day, today..) - but I suppose..

... Katey has bought some new boots today and is waiting to get them on! So that's it - and chocolates for the wife :D

Total cost: not much at all :)

Katey x

Bria
02-14-2014, 03:40 PM
My wife got Bria a nice gray/black animal print scarf and I got her a necklace and ear rings of polished stone made in Africa. I was very pleased that my wife seems to be getting more comfortable with the idea of Bria, Sure do love her!!

Hugs Bria

CynthiaD
02-14-2014, 04:32 PM
I bought myself a dozen roses. Does that answer the question?

kiwidownunder
02-14-2014, 04:40 PM
No gift for me which iam total ok about iam the giving type

My wife come home to a hot bubble bath , her favorite mags , flowers , candles ,a glass of bubbles ,Barry White singing in the back ground and a nice card
While she soaked I cooked a nice romantic dinner

Kiwi

suchacutie
02-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Well......

How do I say this? My wife is my valentine. I'm sure you can imagine the most important gift we can give each other.

Does that explain it?

ArleneRaquel
02-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Femmy & silky, especially lingerie.

Cheryl T
02-15-2014, 09:59 AM
I'd love to receive some sexy red lingerie and be able to wear it for my Valentine.

Anna H
02-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Here's what I got. I like it a lot! I can't wear it out, but I sure can "in".
I'll get a lot of use out of this! I have all the tools anyone would ever
need....:happy:

Marcelle
02-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Interesting thread. We don't normally buy each other gifts for V-Day as we tend to buy things throughout the year which makes one day a bit redundant. So with the exception of cards, chocolate, a nice meal with wine and some cuddle time, we don't buy gifts on this day. So imagine my surprise when my wife gave me a card and a confession that she broke with tradition since I was making the dinner. So I or more precisely Isha got a nice new scarf and a bracelet.

Hugs

Isha

darla_g
02-15-2014, 11:15 AM
My wife strikes a nice balance, for the guy side some nice jewelry while for Darla there was a new skirt. Very nice

bridget thronton
02-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Any gift from my spouse is appreciated - i suspect jewelry is a little special since it lasts for years

Angie G
02-15-2014, 12:01 PM
My girl side always. I got a nice pair of earrings (hoops) a sexy bra-pantie set and a pair of PJ's. What more could I want.:hugs:
Angie