PDA

View Full Version : A Surreal Experience

Persephone
02-20-2014, 02:44 AM
First some background so you can appreciate the surreal experience.

I'm at the monthly dinner of one of the women's groups that I belong to, dressed casually in a group t-shirt, above-the-knee denim skirt, flats (and appropriate undergarments, of course). Makeup consists of eyeliner, mascara, brown brow gel, lipliner and lipstick; no foundation.

Attendance is a bit light tonight, about 16 women (all GGs except me).

Our group has a rule of no men at our dinner meetings. Husbands and SO's are sometimes invited to other events, but not to dinner meetings. There is a reason for this, in our age group of more mature women a man can easily dominate the conversation and, frankly, with a man present, even if he were to remain uncharacteristically quiet, it changes the open nature of the conversation, so no men allowed.

But there is a problem. Frequently, a couple of the women tend to bring their husbands in tow, perhaps brcause they are uncomfortable driving alone at night. If there are two or more of these husbands there is no problem because they can be sent off to some other part of the restaurant to dine together.

Sometime, though, there is only one, usually the spouse of the same woman, I'll call her J. for now. Then it seems rude to ostracise one lone guy to some corner of the restaurant, so he ends up sitting at our table, and, sure enough, sooner or later he is an obstacle to open female speech.

The Chairlady has often indicated the group's discomfort to this woman but she persists in frequently bringing him and the group dynamics are such that the Chair is not comfortble with tossing her out of the group over this issue.

But tonight J.'s husband is not with her.

Now to the surreal...

Noticing this, several women around the room comment on his absence, probably hoping to reinforce in J. just how much his presence is disapproved of.

In my corner, surrounded by other women, we're talking about how nice it is that this time there are no men present.

Pretty much made my day!

Hugs,
Persephone.

noeleena
02-20-2014, 04:01 AM
Hi,

Now i wonder why , most of my time is spent with only women any way.

There is a point though and i wonder if its over looked or just missed, are these men well known like as friends and not just the drivers for the night kind of detail, , of cause our talk is and only between us our conversion soon changes when men are around though we invite them in to normal conversion and many are well known to us and as friends,

I know myself we are more free in what we talk about and theres no embarrisment between us, there is that closeness that we share though wont with men, and its private between us as well.

...noeleena...

Katey888
02-20-2014, 06:32 AM
Surreal in one way, Persephone, but in another, not surreal - simply a very powerful statement of how well we can be truly accepted into the company of women that relates not just to the way we dress, but to the type of people we can be when our gender fluidity is allowed to.. well.. flow! :)

And more specifically this speaks to the person you are and a validation of your true self presented to the real world - super experience, Persephone - thank you for sharing it. :hugs:

Katey x

Rhonda Darling
02-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Persephone:

Wow! Only in my dreams does that happen to me.

You are one lucky gal.

Rhonda

Barbie Anne
02-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Wonderful validation. Hope this issue works out for your group, but ask yourself this; Why does she insist on bringing him along?
Is he maybe a lost sister of ours and his supportive wife is trying to include him in her feminine routine to help him out or something?

Just seems that if she's a valued member of your group AND knows the rules but keeps on doing it, she has to be doing it for a reason. Just my 2 cents worth, and I could be totally off-base :)

BLUE ORCHID
02-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Your long acceptance in the group is surely something to proud of.

Beverley Sims
02-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Barbara,
It is something I used to experience when younger, out with a group of women dressed and keep my mouth shut.
Every one opens up and the tone of the conversation is quite different to when a man is there.

Tracii G
02-20-2014, 10:56 AM
How great that must have been.

MsVal
02-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Can anyone imagine more complete validation than to be accepted as a woman in a woman's group while they are discussing the absence of men?
You have my admiration.

Best wishes
MsVal

Kate Simmons
02-20-2014, 10:26 PM
What can I say Hon? True women stick together.:battingeyelashes::)

MissTee
02-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Wow, Persephone. That is both surreal and amazing for you!!! We're not worthy . . . :worship::worship:

kimdl93
02-21-2014, 07:00 AM
I can understand the appeal of a social occasion without the intrusion of males. What's really great is that you're clearly female in the eyes of the group.

NatalieGirl
02-23-2014, 12:18 AM
There is a lesbian nightclub in my town that will not admit men. The only exception to this is if you are a man dressed up like a woman.