PDA

View Full Version : Amusing Occurance in Nordie.

Eryn
02-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Mimi and I were spending a pleasant evening at Nordstrom Rack in Burbank. We were trying on shoes and I was trying to decide whether a pair of 3" heel booties were comfortable enough to buy.

I was walking back and forth in the aisle wearing the heels. A woman walks around the corner and almost bumps into me. She looks at me and asks "How tall are you?" I said "Six foot two." She said "I thought _I_ was tall!"

And that was it. She shopped her way up the aisle and i went mine.

A couple of years ago this encounter would probably have been quite disturbing to me. I would have imagined all sorts of bad things going through the woman's head.

With the benefit of experience I know that she probably accepted me as I presented and her thoughts were more likely about her difficulties in finding shoes that fit, just as mine were.

Michelle789
02-21-2014, 03:15 AM
That's validating when you're accepted as a woman in public. Btw I have shopped at that store too.

AllieSF
02-21-2014, 03:58 AM
How true all that is. Another plus factor is that you have reached that, "I don't give a damn" phase. Enjoy it.

Persephone
02-21-2014, 04:12 AM
I have been observing and you have learned to carry your height with a feminine attitude and grace that says "woman."

Hugs,
Persephone.

Christen
02-21-2014, 04:18 AM
Isn't confidence a wonderful thing! Good on you!

Christen x

Marcelle
02-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Hi Eryn,

What a great story and only confirms that sometimes we can make ourselves believe the worse through an innocent encounter. She obviously saw you as a tall woman and this is all.

Hugs

Isha

kimdl93
02-21-2014, 06:56 AM
We never know what people think, so when someone responds to me in a positive way, it's always best to it at face value.

Beverley Sims
02-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Eryn.
I call that progress.
I have learned to ride with the comments as well.
I think nothing of them and just say thank you.

Eryn
03-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Wow, it happened again. Mimi and I were having an evening dessert with Persephone and her spouse at a Bob's Big Boy. An older gentleman walked up and said "Excuse me, are you over six feet tall?" I said "Yes I am." He said "How tall are you?" I said "Six foot two." He thanked me and went back to his table.

Here is how I was dressed:

I was wearing boots with very modest 2 inch heels but I suppose that I looked like a tall drink of water! :)

Krystenw
03-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Yep. Just as others have said. Once you build up enough confidence that you don't care what others say or think then the battle is nearly over. It took a near death experience and 42 days in a coma to get there. I certainly hope it can be easier for others.

Amberhea
03-07-2014, 10:21 PM
You are taller than me which I would think being a tall girl makes it difficult to find shoes and clothes. Luckily I'm already a pretty small frame and a little on the short'ish side. I really don't have any trouble finding clothes or shoes, well, yoga pants, but shoes, a solid size 10, same size as my wife, which I'm lucky that she and I are the same foot size so we can wear the same shoes. Helps us save money. Sounds like your experience was just another experience to build on. :)

NathalieX66
03-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Non incident.

You live in southern California. I live in the suburbs in New Jersey, across the river from New York City......same thing really. Big city metro areas don't give an 'at's rass' how you dress.
People live their lives as they see fit, and life goes on. Yeah, sure I wear a dress sometimes when I'm out in public, so what?

However, without being a braggard, I honestly think that people are more accepting than you think.

Eryn
03-07-2014, 11:19 PM
...I honestly think that people are more accepting than you think....

Perhaps I was misunderstood. I think that most people are accepting. The two occurrences I cite in this thread are of people who were comfortable enough with me to ask a slightly personal question of a stranger who piqued their interest. Both replied to what I said in their own way but neither reply was out of what would be expected. Whether I passed in their eyes or not they accepted me and that feels good.

You are taller than me which I would think being a tall girl makes it difficult to find shoes and clothes.

I'm lucky in that it isn't terribly difficult. I'm a size 12 on top and an 8 bottom. Long inseam jeans fit me very well. Dresses tend to be a little shorter om me than the models, but I can usually find ones that I like. I'm a size 11 or 12 in shoes which is large but not in the "specialty" range yet.

Like any GG, I probably try on five garments for every one that suits my body type. Everyone has their own personal fit demons to conquer!