PDA

View Full Version : This amazing journey.

Barbie Anne
02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
A lot of you know, as I've talked in the past about my dear mother's slowly improving acceptance of Barbie.

Had a wonderful time last night with my wife and mom. We went over for dinner with her and afterwards a board game. The subject got on to my cd'ing and Mom started asking questions quite openly and there was no shame or embarrassment on either side. Well one thing led to another and we spent the next 3 hours going through mom's jewelry boxes with her saying "this suits you" and "here take this I don't like it anymore" and so on till I left with 2 cute little musical japanese jewelry boxes that had been given to her by my late father, and tons upon tons of girl bling, some of it family herilooms that she'd always wanted to pass on to a daughter.

We laughed and cried and had a wonderful time with our first "girl time" ever.
She'd seen me dressed for halloween once but never seen me portray the real inner Barbie.

Sitting here this morning drinking my coffee and just basking in the glow of last night's experience I get a phone call. Mom wants me to come back over and spend the day going through her rather extensive wardrobe as we're close to the same size and in her words "You need better clothes and I need to make room for more shopping".............to borrow a term from an old t.v. commercial......"It doesn't get any better than this"

I'll keep you all posted on this and what outfits and such that I bring home.

Just wanted to share with all you lovely ladies how much fun barbie is having getting to know her mom :)

I don't know where this journey is leading and I do have a deffinate destination in mind, but I'm going to buckle up and enjoy the hell out of the ride.

So glad I got to be open with mom before it was too late.......Cheers and Hugs girls, be back later :)

Robert
02-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm glad that you and your mom are openly discussing this. That is some powerful mojo.

I don't know where this journey is leading and I do have a deffinate destination in mind, but I'm going to buckle up and enjoy the hell out of the ride.

That sounds like a great plan. We only get one lifetime, and we should not deny ourselves the ability to enjoy it.

MsVal
02-21-2014, 12:35 PM
"slow acceptance"? - Hardly.

Here in Michigan, some older folks may seem to be a bit cautious while navigating the streets and highways. Just get them on I-75 in the fall and they'll race all the way to Florida. Your mom just left the entrance ramp, merged with your traffic, and is tailgaiting you to go faster.

Keep your eyes on the road, watch out for crossdressing truckers, and enjoy the ride.

Best wishes
MsVal

Katey888
02-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Barbie - that is quite the event for you, I'm sure - it's super that you can share it with us. :)

And yes, it doesn't seem like a slow acceptance at all... what a week of acceptances we seem to be having so far! :cheer:

Katey x

Tammy Lynn Tx
02-21-2014, 01:13 PM
"slow acceptance"? - Hardly.

Here in Michigan, some older folks may seem to be a bit cautious while navigating the streets and highways. Just get them on I-75 in the fall and they'll race all the way to Florida. Your mom just left the entrance ramp, merged with your traffic, and is tailgaiting you to go faster.

Keep your eyes on the road, watch out for crossdressing truckers, and enjoy the ride.

Best wishes
MsVal

MsVal, I resemble that remark. :D It's a tough job but someone has to do it.
But to ALL, please be careful in your travels

carhill2mn
02-21-2014, 01:21 PM
It is great to read about such a happy occurence. What a great mother and wife you have! Thanks for sharing.

Barbie Anne
02-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Back from mom's house and wow. I got to be fully Barbie and mom got a kick out of seeing me go all a-fluttery every time she handed me something to try on. Took a while as she's quite the clothes maven, and has many many different styles from sporty to elegant.........Hey maybe that's where I get it from. From my brand new Gloria Vanderbilt skinny jeans with a bell bottom, to my new angora sweaters,(which go together quite nicely I might add), to some wonderful silk dresses and chiffon skirts..........Pink Fog is too mild a term for how feminine I've felt all day long. And I got to share it with the two most wonderful women in the world.

Thank all you lovely ladies for the wonderful comments, and I do know that I am truly blessed.

"Slow Acceptance" .......Funny that. She told me today that she's always known and it's about time I got off my butt and started enjoying life instead of being a grumpy old jerk, and she really loves both Barbie and Rich, but Barbie's a much nicer person lol. So maybe slow acceptance still fits but fits me, as I'm slowly accepting that my mom will always love me and I no longer need to maintain that illusion with her.

P.s. Funny afterthought......Mom asked tons of questions, and we had a great time talking about fashion and such, but one time she casually mentioned that I didn't mess up the way my skirts and ladies slacks fit in the front. Well I don't stutter often but I did a bit and just said "It's magic". Not quite ready to discuss tucking with my mother lol.

Persephone
02-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Beautiful!

Hugs,
Persephone.

franlee
02-21-2014, 04:29 PM
You are so fortunate to have a window of sharing with the important people in your life. The fact that your mother is sharing her wardrobe with you is fantastic. This is a dream or story line for most of us. Enjoy the gifts and savior the moments, life is to short and you happened into a Plum!

Barbie Anne
02-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Yes franlee I realize just exactly how lucky I am, and I'm no child but doggone it I'm going to enjoy life, whether life wants me to enjoy it or not lol.

Glad I could get to share this wonderful time with all you lovely, fun and accepting ladies. I may not get to be Barbie all the time in public like I'd want, but I do get to be myself with you....My Friends. Thank you all so much for being here:)

Isa
02-21-2014, 04:43 PM
This is such a beautiful moment between you girls. Very happy for you.

Christen
02-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Barbie,
Really lovely to hear your story. Sounds like you have found a very nice place in your life.

Christen x

Beverley Sims
02-22-2014, 02:29 AM
Barbie,
May the euphoria continue and treasure those trinkets she has given you.
Heirlooms are nice to acquire and I think it is an honour.

bridget thronton
02-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Miss my mom - glad you can enjoy time with yours

Rhonda Darling
02-22-2014, 04:31 AM
Barbie:

This is one of the most uplifting threads I've read in a long time. You are one lucky girl, indeed. I wish I'd been able to tell my mom before she passed away. It was her clothes that I first tried on, her shoes that I first stumbled around in, and she taught me to paint her nails and how garters fasten to keep hose up. All when I was very young. I'm sure she wanted a girl.

You being able to share the precious moments you've described is priceless. Can't wait til you describe your first day out with the girls!

Best,
Rhonda

Barbie Anne
02-22-2014, 06:32 AM
Rhonda; Sadly, since we live in a small-ish southern town with a big history of intolerance for anything not "normal", I don't see this happening any time soon unless we were to all take a trip to Key West or someplace similar. Maybe even Eureka Springs Arkansas, which is a lovely place in northern Ar. that's lgbt friendly. A shopping trip then salon/spa day with Mom and my dear Wife would be the ultimate validation, and is one of my dreams. For now I'm just happy with not having to hide myself from mom anymore. Well, "having" isn't the right word as I never needed too. It was more like a self imposed exile lol.

Beverly I plan on passing these on to my daughter and granddaughter when it's time :)

Bridget so very sorry for your loss hon, I lost my father and know the pain intimately. I was able to share who/what I am with him before he passed, and he too said he'd always known but didn't care.

Christen and Isa. Yes I'm in one of those moments in life where you feel like it couldn't get much better, and I intend to revel in it.

Thanks all for the lovely coments (((((HUGS)))))

Rachel292
02-22-2014, 06:50 AM
Wow! what a really nice story. Make the most of it you are a very lucky girl.
I live in hope that I can post something similar sometime in the future. My Mum is getting on a bit now, so time is running out.

kimdl93
02-22-2014, 07:41 AM
That is really as good as it gets!

Marcelle
02-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Hi Barbie Anne,

What a great story and I am so happy for you sweetie. Acceptance is a wonderful gift from anyone but from your family it is the sweetest gift of all. Enjoy the ride.

Hugs

Isha

Melissa in SE Tn
02-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Barbie... You are truly blessed !!!

CarlaWestin
02-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Well one thing led to another and we spent the next 3 hours going through mom's jewelry boxes with her saying "this suits you" and "here take this I don't like it anymore" and so on till I left with 2 cute little musical japanese jewelry boxes that had been given to her by my late father, and tons upon tons of girl bling, some of it family herilooms that she'd always wanted to pass on to a daughter.

We laughed and cried and had a wonderful time with our first "girl time" ever.

There are times.
When stories on this site.
Just bring me to happy tears.

Carla