PDA

View Full Version : The Olympic Figure Skating Finals and "Passing"

Taylor Ray
02-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Well, many of us probably have "broad shoulders". As I watched some of the Olympic events it seemed like some of the bob-sled women were more muscular, and, of course, the figure skating women were very petite.

Did/does this effect the moods and/or visual projections of any gals at this site?

For me, I just felt like I couldn't ever be a female figure skater. But there are many women in our culture who couldn't, so I never lost my thread with "femininity"

Tina_gm
02-21-2014, 09:08 PM
unless you are 5'1: and about 105lbs, it is hard to be a female figure skater, so that leaves out 98% of the women and about 99.9% of men, if that makes you feel any better... and I for one think that womens' figure skating is among the most elegant things to watch, ever.

Beverley Sims
02-22-2014, 02:13 AM
Sit and watch and dream.
Do what you can do as well as you can.
I find it easy to fall off a pair of skis and it is easy to pass in a ski suit, goggles and hat. :)

Katey888
02-22-2014, 05:08 AM
Taylor - it definitely makes me feel better about myself.. :)

It's one of those observations that, for me, underlines how influenced we are all are (CDs and GGs) by the media and their pursuit of celebrity perfection - when in reality we're all a big mixture of shapes, sizes, looks, colours, hairstyles, wigs (in many of our cases... :))

I don't have the issue that some girls have here of being over 6' - at 5'8" I am probably a slightly above average GG height here in the UK, and of course with heels... :devil: - but I still have the problem of male physique - can't fully eradicate that!

But of course athletes are themselves at another extreme of physical development and nature - they're also beyond ordinary in their physiques, whether that's bulk for strength (and the size of speed skaters' thighs scares the bejeebers out of me.. :eek:) or being very petite and lithe for the skaters, who seem more like gymnasts nowadays.

So I agree - we should all take some comfort from a reminder of the wide range of feminine body types that are out there in the real world...

I'd still like to see what the Swedish Ladies Curling Team look like, however... :)

Katey x

Marcelle
02-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Hi Taylor,

Unfortunately we are prisoners of our genetics. Men (on average) tend to build lean body mass much easier than women hence the wide shoulders and guy arms. While I stand only 5'7" at 155 pounds I am much more V-shaped than your average GG. So, I will just have to become a master of camouflage and concealment when it comes to dressing. Will I pass (not in a million years) blend . . . likely.

Hugs

Isha

sometimes_miss
02-22-2014, 09:41 AM
unless you are 5'1: and about 105lbs, it is hard to be a female figure skater, so that leaves out 98% of the women and about 99.9% of men, if that makes you feel any better... and I for one think that womens' figure skating is among the most elegant things to watch, ever.

Never really into elegant, what keeps my eyes coming back to womens' sports that emphasize feminine shapes and outfits are the oh so hot girls in it. Skating, tennis, etc.; tight outfits, short skirts, it's what gets our interest, where as say, women's basketball with the loose uniforms that don't hint at anything and their players who adopt all the masculine fist shaking, chest bumps, etc., don't seem to attract many men at all. I've been watching women's skating since Peggy Fleming won her medal (let's see how many of you saw that one).

Tina_gm
02-22-2014, 12:51 PM
I definitely see what you are saying. There is a reason why figure skating and tennis are among the most watched women's sports. It is eye candy for most guys, and women will generally identify more with those athletes than they will of women's Bball. Still though, when it comes to women's figure skating, the elegance, the style, the femininity, and the undeniable talent these women have makes it a very interesting watch for me.

Janet Bern
02-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Funny, but it watch the male skaters and see them in wigs, makeup and dresses.
I think they must have a good time shopping.

MissTee
02-23-2014, 12:21 AM
A Rosanne Barr body double I could do. Figure skater? Never.

Shari
02-23-2014, 06:51 AM
I don't know if you remember back in the days before gender testing at the olympics.
There were some "females" that were anything but eye candy. They scared me.

Richelle423
02-23-2014, 02:43 PM
I enjoyed watching women's figure skating and watching analyts Tara Lipinski and Jonney Weir.Jonney had a nice lace blouse and more make-up than Tara!

valerieg
02-25-2014, 01:41 AM
There was a feature segment during the Olympics broadcast about one of the Women's Bobsled drivers, Elana Meyers. I haven't found it online yet, but it sure made me feel more comfortable being out and about. It really is all about owning the moment. Meanwhile, here is a pictorial spread NBC did about her.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/photos/model-olympian-elana-meyers-bobsled?ctx=team-usa