PDA

View Full Version : Vacationing in San Francisco just to go en femme?

Jessica EnFemme
02-22-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm not brave enough yet to go out in my area (Baltimore) which is NOT alternate lifestyle friendly. But I was thinking of spending a week or so in San Francisco this summer just so I could go out and not be worried about stares or harassment. I haven't been there in 20-some years, but I remember in some areas seeing a number of CD/transgendered walking around and nobody seemed to notice or care.

Anybody know if it's still that like today? And where are the friendliest areas? (Haight-Ashbury?) Any places to definitely avoid?

Eryn
02-22-2014, 09:02 PM
You can't go too far wrong in SF or LA if you stick to the upscale areas. Follow your instincts. If a GG wouldn't go someplace neither should you.

Jenniferathome
02-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Go ANYWHERE in San Francisco. You'll get some looks in the tourist areas but do t sweat it. Mainstream is the way to go. I just got back from SF and had a great time out

Rachel Morley
02-22-2014, 11:34 PM
I don't live in San Francisco but I live fairly close so I visit there quite often and, going on my own personal experience, I can tell you that it is an awesome place to go to en femme. It's a city that has a large(ish) population of LGBT folks plus there is a strong liberal vibe (IMHO) going on there .. net result is that people are extremely tolerant or nonchalant about folks that are "different" and so a CDer (non-passable or otherwise) is really no big deal. It's a very cool place :)

Jessica EnFemme
02-23-2014, 02:05 AM
Thanks Rachel and Jennifer & Eryn, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've got my flight and hotel booked now for June.

I can't wait to go out for my first time in public and just be myself! (Though I think this calls for a new wardrobe... time to shop! :daydreaming:)

Beverley Sims
02-23-2014, 02:09 AM
I think Rachel has the right word about San Francisco. "nonchalant".

Helen Grandeis
02-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Be age appropriate. Shoot for a nice JC Penny look and you should fit right in.

Lynn Marie
02-23-2014, 06:50 AM
I heartily encourage you to make a friend or two in SF to hook up with before you go. An accepting environment is not a big deal. Being out with friends is heavenly.

flatlander_48
02-23-2014, 07:26 AM
I would also suggest Palm Springs, CA based on my recent trip. The mayor there estimates that about 1/3 of the city is LGB or T.