PDA

View Full Version : Came out to my team in work....

Georgie
02-23-2014, 06:43 AM
So before wednesday only a few people in work knew that I am trans. These were people that I knew I could trust, like my friend who also works in my factory a few other people I would be friendly with and my boss.

But I have been off work for the past few weeks on a stress related illness and I thought I would tell my team before I came back to work

So me and the above mentioned friend went in to the plant and sat down with my boss, the line manager and the head of HR, and talked about what the best way to do this would be and if it was a good idea or not.

We all agreed on a plan, so my boss stopped production (which is a rare thing) and got the team up into the office.

Before I went in, he told the team that I was coming in to tell them something personal and it has to be kept a secret for now and if they cant keep their mouths shut leave the room now.

So then I came in with my friend for moral support and just told them everything and how I'm planning to start living as a woman in hopefully june or july.

Everybody seemed cool with it and supportive. I was getting texts from them all for the rest of the day telling me how brave I was and how they will always have my back etc.

So that is a lot of stress off my mind, telling the whole factory is going to be harder though ekkkk.

Rianna Humble
02-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Well done, Georgie. That will make life so much simpler when you are back at work and the relief could even help speed up yoru recovery. :bighug:

You will be the best judge, but is it even necessary to tell the whole factory? When I began my transition, we told the people I work with most closely and we briefed the other managers to handle questions in other departments.

Angela Campbell
02-23-2014, 07:15 AM
No need to tell the entire factory, they will know soon enough. In my company we told all the regional managers and the people I work with on a daily basis. But the day I did so I was full time. Within hours everyone knew.

Georgie
02-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Best that they know in advance though, so that they know in advance, and I just turn up as a girl. Best to be open, I find people are more accepting that way

Barbie Anne
02-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Sounds like everything went fantastic for you, and I'm so very happy your friends and co-workers are being supportive and accepting. Just goes to show that society is moving more towards mainstream acceptance.

Deborah_UK
02-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Georgie,

I agree with your plan, I informed my team in person (I managed a team of about 8 at the time, its now expanded to 12) and then sent out an email to the rest of the building. I had one or two issues early on after going full time with a couple of women from another part of the building who would not accept me using the ladies loo - although this was not directly to my face, but the overwhelming message was one of support. Especially from my team, and even more so from my manager. (I'm a Civil Servant btw)

vikki2020
02-27-2014, 12:13 AM
I know you feel better now,Georgie. It is a relief,ain't it! I've told almost all the people I work with daily, and now that I have all of their support, I feel better about going to management----in time.

I Am Paula
02-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Congratulations.
My entire company is me! The day I came out at work, I was alone in my office. Thank god I'm schizophrenic, or nobody would have objected

Starling
02-27-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm unemployed, so I have plenty of time to seek out abuse.

:) Lallie

Valarie
02-27-2014, 03:59 PM
That is a big step, and you handled it in a very professional way that they all probably appreciated.

Maria in heels
02-28-2014, 06:01 AM
great news Georgie. I"m sure that you were apprehensive, and good that everything went smoothly. Now, you can just start to be yourself and I'm sure that it will become more natural and easier at work as time goes by