PDA

View Full Version : CDing in the Post Apocalyptic World

Marcelle
02-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Hi all,

While I normally like to post thought provoking threads, I thought I would take a more fun approach on this one inspired by Bima's "Future of CD" post. So here it goes.

Now while this may seem like a frivolous thread designed with humour (it's main intent), there is an undercurrent of seriousness to this which is why I placed it in this section. Specifically, a lot of threads discuss "how important dressing is to you and could you give it up?" I for one don't think I could, not even under this absolute worse case scenario. So . . . Could you give up CDing given the circumstances below?

Pick you poison ladies . . . zombies, evil corporation, atomic war, aliens. However you spin it, you now live in a world that has been reduced to a post apocalyptic wasteland. There is no power, no running water and definitely no hair or nail salons. :eek: Laser hair reduction or electrolysis . . . not happening. Make-up is a luxury that disappeared when Sephora and MAC stores were razed to the ground during the early days of the apocalypse and the best you can hope for is to find some used lip balm. Breast forms melted in the fires of destruction and padded panties were buried under the rubble of chaos. Wigs, let's just say they held no value in a post apocalyptic society so have long disappeared or been turned into insulation. There is some good news . . . female clothing is pretty much still available although runs more to the practical (pants, boots, coats, tactical body armour) with strappy wedge sandals, stilettos, LBDs, skirts and lingerie in short, short supply . . . think you would have to sell your soul to get these items. :devil:

So my question . . . how would you choose to express your feminine side in such a post apocalyptic world where removal of body hair would be difficult at the best of times and doing so would require the use of a very sharp knife (no MACH 3 razors to be had or Nair depilatory cream). Clothing is more practical. Hair . . . well if you can grow it you can have it. Make-up and breast forms . . . not happening.

Now I for one believe when push comes to shove that survival will win out over the need to dress but that need (for me at least) will not be abated regardless of evil corporations, zombies or alien invaders. So I think I would most likely find a way to express myself in the clothing I choose. Let's face it, in a post apocalyptic society, who is going to hack on you for how you dress. Now I would like to think I could rock "picture 2" but given that my laser reduced beard will most likely make a reappearance, make-up is nonexistent and hair (let's just say I am follicle challenged) I would have to go more with "picture 1" as it hides a multitude of sins. However, if push comes to shove I would still go with "picture 2" on occasion just to say "Hey zombies . . . I can kick your a@# and still look pretty doing it." :battingeyelashes:

Oh you may ask how am I filling out the top part of my outfits without breast forms . . . that's what socks and other such items were invented for. :)

So back to the original question ladies. Would you just revert back to your male self in a post apocalyptic world or would you find a way to express your inner girl?

Hugs

Isha

Barbie Anne
02-23-2014, 07:50 AM
When the economy collapses and the rage zombies are everywhere, with aliens on the horizon, I'd probably go with something similar to picture 2. But then I've always both envied and been attracted to Milla :), However the Kate Beckinsale look in the underworld movies (pretty much the first one sans headgear). is also very attractive.

Kate Simmons
02-23-2014, 08:40 AM
The series "Dark Angel" was a good model for this. Although Max was a woman, where there is a will, there is a way. I did it in a third world country while in the Army , so it's not impossible. You learn to become more or less a female MacGyver, utilizing things on hand to accomplish your goal. The fact that I would have action/adventure experiences makes it all the better.We are the ones who keep it alive anyway, even now. ;):)

Anna H
02-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Oh...I'd find a way. There's tons of stuff I'd try now if I could get away
with it. Don't wanna get too extreme too far ahead though...

It's Good to know about basic chemistry and electricity. Anyone
can sew/stitch once they give it a try.

I'm going to make a new duct tape dress once I get some time.
That's definitely on my to-do list. :happy:

MeDeanna
02-23-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm thinking that with a sharp-edged tool, I could definitely carve out a nice pair of heels.

Not even an apocalypse can dampen the human impulse to improvise.

My inner girl would remain intact.

Jaylyn
02-23-2014, 09:15 AM
In a post Apoclyptic situation I would probably resort back to a survival mode. I love killing the zombies now so might even enjoy that. ( by the way my Grandkids taught me how to kill those mean old Zombies). I love the second picture so that would be my choice of costume. Who cares about the beard or body hair mine is getting lighter. Also eye make up can be made with charcoal. Such as the Indians did with certain crushed plants and charcoal sticks. Tools and weapons can be made with fire. Bows can be shape from vines and even arrows from burnt and hardened wooden limbs. Lol here goes my survival mode already kickin in. Red lipstick can be made from crushed cacti fruits. Black finger nail polish would be more scary so that can come from left over petroleum from a car grease that I found on the side of the road. You now have me thinking that maybe my "Bug Out Bag" should have included my makeup and some hose.... With a garter if I am gonna look like picture two. Lol
Isha you have too much time on your hands honey....... Lol

Katey888
02-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Wouldn't it be a great opportunity just to go all out femme and who the heck's left to care anyway..!

I guess I'd have to be loyal to my namesake, Ms Beckinsale - she always had better heels than Mila and that would swing it for me...

Or how about the Aunty Entity (Tina Turner) look from '... Beyond Thunderdome." ? :) That's a prime example of what happens to a wig when you can longer get any antistatic spray... :heehee:

So no - on a serious note, it'd have to be time to stand up and be counted/ outed... :cheer:

Katey x

Candy Cox
02-23-2014, 09:24 AM
I would hang out with Jaylyn, and help her make some killer good make up.
Then we would be dressed to the nines, well, maybe the sevens.
It would probably be hard to make nylons, that took a lot of years to invent.
But if everyone else had the Grisly Adams look, we might be SO HOT.
Maybe then we would be little hotties, that would be a first for me!
Candy

Barbie Anne
02-23-2014, 09:28 AM
I think we'd have to all get together, if nothing else for mutual safety. Imagine looking hot and sexy with no law or society to protect us............ugh. This girl has no desire to become the "Belle of the ball" so to speak! Well at least my dear wife knows firearms, and is quite protective. :)

Tina B.
02-23-2014, 09:31 AM
In that world I think I would go with the Mad Max look, a female look could get a girl in trouble if you know what I mean!

Beverley Sims
02-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Oh! I thought we had already arrived.
I will be a sheep and follow the one that went before me....
Tina said the Mad Max look.
I would go with that.

flatlander_48
02-23-2014, 11:35 AM
with strappy wedge sandals, stilettos, LBDs, skirts and lingerie in short, short supply . . . think you would have to sell your soul to get these items.

What difference would it make? There wouldn't be anywhere to go to wear them!?!?

So back to the original question ladies. Would you just revert back to your male self in a post apocalyptic world or would you find a way to express your inner girl?

Hugs

Isha

I think folks would be 'way too self-absorbed to care about how anybody else looked...

VeronicaMoonlit
02-23-2014, 12:11 PM
There is no power, no running water and definitely no hair or nail salons. :eek: Laser hair reduction or electrolysis . . . not happening.

Well the first priority is to get basic services back up, or to never let them fail in the first place.

Make-up is a luxury that disappeared when Sephora and MAC stores were razed to the ground during the early days of the apocalypse and the best you can hope for is to find some used lip balm.

Since most people wouldn't consider makeup a priority, there'd be a huge amount of it just sitting around in stores, warehouses, back rooms, etc etc. Also it's not hard to make your own.

Wigs, let's just say they held no value in a post apocalyptic society so have long disappeared or been turned into insulation. There is some good news . . . female clothing is pretty much still available although runs more to the practical (pants, boots, coats, tactical body armour) with strappy wedge sandals, stilettos, LBDs, skirts and lingerie in short, short supply

I'm of the opposite opinion, it would be the "practical" clothing in short supply. The impractical stuff would still be on the shelves/racks/stores/warehouses. Plenty of it in fact. So I'd have all the Louboutin's I'd want.

Sure I'd wear practical clothing while feeding the chickens, tending the garden, and doing chores in my fortified residence...but that wouldn't mean I couldn't put on an LBD for dinner.

Would have to start up a radio station: "It is I, VM, coming at you from a fortified bunker in the middle of Post-apocalyptica. Here's a tip children, don't feed the Yao-guai, that is all. And now here's Civilization by Danny Kaye and the Andrews Sisters"

Veronica

Zylia
02-23-2014, 12:44 PM
I've played so much Fallout I can probably handle most things a post-apocalyptic world can throw at me, even a lack of proper razor blades (I'll just learn to shave with my machete that I also use to cut down feral mutants/zombies and the like). The radiation will probably burn away my hair anyway.

Huge ass bugs and rodents are the only things I worry about.

Michellegryl
02-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Finding a way to express my inner femm self will always be part of my survival tactics. Even when I was at boy scout camp I found a way to express my true self.

Michelle

Persephone
02-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Hmmm, Isha, hadn't thought about prep for that! Your posts suggest a few things:

1) Mental Preparation -- Read Viktor E. Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning." He describes his life under the most horrible atrocities created by man and provides lessons in how to survive.

2) Get ready -- with razors in short supply you should plan ahead, get your laser and electrolysis done now, while they are readily available. That way you'll have less to deal with later. Same, of course, for FFS and all other surgeries - get them done now so that you are ready.

3) Stock up -- In World War II nylons and cigarettes were huge barter items and could pretty much get you anything, so be prepared with an ample supply of items that will be hard to get -- nylons, makeup, anything likely to be a desirable trade-good. Make sure you have enough for yourself and others.

4) Learn how to substitute. Again, in WW-II, nylons were hard to get so women used artificial tanners and drew a line up the back of their leg to substitute for nylons. Think scraps of fabric for wrap skirts, stuff like that.

5) Dress to blend in. In Rudyard Kipling's wonderful "Just So Stories" he has a story about how the leopard changed his spots. In the story, "Then said Baviaan, "The game has gone into other spots; and my advice to you, Leopard, is to go into other spots as soon as you can." If other women change their fashions we will need to as well (see Isha's illustrations).

6) Band with others. Sad to say, in panic and despair, in war and apocalypse, social rules go by the wayside and, as a woman, you will be considered a useful recreational device and very possibly a trade good. You will need to find protection, although that too will likely be purchased at a cost; as the Eagles ssaid, "Every form of refuge has a price."

7) Learn self-defense.

8) Take every opportunity, now and in the apocalypse, to enjoy yourself!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Christina Kay
02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
I would be a hairy Samurai :brolleyes:, with some very ,very feminine gestures and mannerisms.
Hugs:battingeyelashes:

natalie edwards
02-23-2014, 02:17 PM
IDK...but if Ginger could come up with all these things on a deserted island I think there is still hope!

Barbie Anne
02-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Thank you for the bit of hope Natalie :)

docrobbysherry
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM
And, when the end of civilization comes? Sherry will be ready!:devil:

220559 220560

Barbie Anne
02-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Sherry you rock girl! An outfit for every occasion. I love it:)

eileendover
02-23-2014, 04:11 PM
adopt, adapt, improve!

my role model
the film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114614/
the comic: http://titanmagazines.com/t/tank-girl/pages/tank-girl-digital/

Carrie Ines
02-23-2014, 04:25 PM
In the initial aftermath of the apocalypse after the nukes were launched due to everyone imploding after the final banking crash I managed to find an abandoned police station, there I was able to scavenge an impressive arsenal which I used to defend myself in the raids of hospitals and pharmacies around whats left of the world and while the crack heads we busy raiding for that final buzz I was raiding the birth control and oestrogen and all the spiro i could find along with a lifetime supply of razors, Nair and hosery.

I'm now the leader of the NTWO, if you want your girly comforts you have to come to me...for a price....you work for me now ;-) x

Leslie Langford
02-23-2014, 05:30 PM
I'd scrounge around until I found a DeLorean that I could restore, outfit it with a flux capacitor, and skedaddle "Back to the Future" to a time just before the Apocalypse, but ahead of our time and when CDing was much more commonplace and acceptable.

I mean really...who needs all that post-Apocalyptic sh*t!!??... :eek: ;)

celeste26
02-23-2014, 05:40 PM
As a loyal watcher of Twilight Zone, I truly understand how devastating a post apocalyptic world can be. Frankly I would make sure that I never made it into such a world, you cant make me go there!!!

Christen
02-23-2014, 07:02 PM
I've also always been a fan of Mila. Tank Girl! Yeah!

Christen x

April_Ligeia
02-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Ironically, in a post-apocalyptic world self expression would be easier. I have enough guns and ammo to get through the day to day, so without having to worry about going to work every day, I would not worry about fitting in. Nail polish would help protect nails from breaking, I would wear lipstick instead of lip balm, and eye makeup would be hidden behind sunglasses as extra protection from the sun. Skirts are more comfortable and utilitarian than pants during the summer, and my shoulder bag would hold everything that used to go in pants pockets. With a rifle on the back, of course. Like a pirate, if you are an outlaw all bets are off. And when the Zombies attack, aim for the head... And if anyone gave me a hard time about my appearance, that would be a sure sign that that individual was a zombie. Aim for the head.

Marcelle
02-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the fun replies.

... I'm going to make a new duct tape dress once I get some time.

That's the spirit Kate . . . improvise and accessorize

I'm thinking that with a sharp-edged tool, I could definitely carve out a nice pair of heels.

Not even an apocalypse can dampen the human impulse to improvise.

You could also use the heels as a weapon.

...Isha you have too much time on your hands honey....... Lol

Ahh . . . but a girl has to have fun now and then :)

...Ms Beckinsale - she always had better heels than Mila and that would swing it for me

I hear you . . . she does have better heels

This girl has no desire to become the "Belle of the ball" so to speak!

I'm with you there . . . don't want to look too pretty. Perhaps a scruffy face is not such a bad thing :battingeyelashes:

I'll just learn to shave with my machete that I also use to cut down feral mutants/zombies and the like). The radiation will probably burn away my hair anyway.

Ouch . . . now there's dedication.

I would be a hairy Samurai with some very ,very feminine gestures and mannerisms.

LOL and a good visual :heehee:

IDK...but if Ginger could come up with all these things on a deserted island I think there is still hope!

I never thought of that . . . Ginger for leader of the new world!

And, when the end of civilization comes? Sherry will be ready

I want you as my fashion consultant in the new order.

I'm now the leader of the NTWO, if you want your girly comforts you have to come to me...for a price....you work for me now

I'd work for you any day.

Hugs all

Isha

Barbie Anne
02-23-2014, 07:40 PM
As it's sunday evening and I'm doing my ritual Walking Dead thing, I must throw Michonne's hat into the ring. She's hot and nobody's messing with her. It doesn't get much more sexy AND tough than her. :)

CD Tammy
02-23-2014, 08:13 PM
I am also waiting for the Walking Dead. This thread has made me think of adding some razors to my EOTWAWKI stash, and some pantyhose. You can't kill zombies with runs in your hose.

Tina_gm
02-23-2014, 10:07 PM
If it happens, I will change my name to mad maxine

Eryn
02-23-2014, 11:19 PM
It reminds me of the episode of the Dilbert animated series where the satellites got screwed up and civilization collapsed. Everything was OK though because one of the characters went to Renaissance Fairs and knew what to do!

In a real post-apocolyptic world remember that our population is about seven times what it was in the pre-technology era and without that technology about nine in ten of us will die before we figure out how to survive.

To get an idea of what you'd be up against, go to 22:30 in this video:

hN7Z95cqZx0

I don't think that how I'm dressed would even enter my mind.

5150 Girl
02-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Lori Grimes (front) Beth (3rd) and Maggie (coming in the door) Greene also did ok, all things considered... So did Andrea. Carrol Peletier (middle) and Michonne (not shown) scare me a little bit though....

FemPossible
02-26-2014, 05:28 PM
That would actually make it easier for me. My female alter ego would strive in that kind of environment. If it's anything like the films, more and more people will be eccentric. Perhaps as a coping mechanism or maybe as a form of expression. Either way it'll be a lot of fun.

Jennifer S
02-26-2014, 05:41 PM
I think I'd be somewhere between Aeon Flux and Tank Girl :)

darla_g
02-26-2014, 05:48 PM
In that world I think I would go with the Mad Max look, a female look could get a girl in trouble if you know what I mean!
i was kind of thinking the same thing!

emilamb
02-26-2014, 06:16 PM
This reminds me of the character Lance from the Robotech series. After Earth is destroyed, repopulated, then invaded and occupied by aliens, Lance is part of the counter-invasion to take Earth back. They fail, and to survive he disguises himself as a woman... and ends up becoming a famous female singer, the Yellow Dancer.

Taylor Ray
02-26-2014, 11:02 PM
It would have to be one of my childhood cinema crushes: Daryl Hannah in Blade Runner.

More likely, I would be in "drab" leather and skulls during the day. And when I got back to my cave after stealing fuel and hunting for food I would retire to my special "cavern" and transform into Sean Young: leopard and wolf skin pull overs with a woven undergarment that I stole off a different clan.

Who knew the apocalypse would be so fun?

noeleena
02-27-2014, 04:55 AM
Hi,

Listening to all the comments and it sounds good just one miner detail stands out, id be packing some armoury and not wonting to look like any woman

Have you for got what happens in wars , by the invading forces, what happens to us, men being what they are, or your other strange beings, the four things id be looking for food water and dig's and warm clothes regardless of style or what they looked like, and boots, ya ya i know army boots, .

...noeleena...

natcrys
02-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Since I have my own hair.. no wigs would not be a problem for me. No make-up... I'll just scrape some red paint for my lips.. and use ashes (it's a post-apocalyptic world, right? there must be burnt stuff everywhere!) for my eyes.. ;)

Now, no stiletto heels?! That is unacceptable! :angry: And after I have all the basic stuff covered (water, food, kick-ass outfit).. I'd probably head out and scavenge any metal rods.. and attach them to my boots. ;)

Ellie52
02-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Ish
Great thread.
I think personally, that what you propose woud require less thought about what Im wearing and more about surviving. Women wear Jeans and T shirts for a reason. They are practical. Try fighting zombies in 5" heels. Your not going to get far..
Acrylic finger nails (great for gouging out eyes)
Suspender (garter) belt as a sling shot
Hairspray/perfume - great as a flame thrower
Hair pins - not as useful as an M16 or Samurai sword
5" heels - close quarters weapon
Much more than this I couldnt say.
I think in a post apocolyptic world I would be too concerned looking after my family (if they are still alive) after all thats what a man does, rather than looking for a the latest fashion tights.
Actually I would probably be Logan from Logans run and wear a boilersuit.

MargaretJ
02-27-2014, 07:53 AM
Always been a fan of Mila, so like her look. I suppose stilettos are out of the question, so a Cuban would have to do, until I could get back to my armoured fortress.

Allison Chaynes
02-27-2014, 10:46 PM
I'd probably be practical, whether that would be in guy or girl mode, but it's funny that Walking Dead came up, I just watched Sunday's episode and started thinking how awesome it would be if Michonne found a dress in one of the houses they were raiding, and it was in a dude's closet.

5150 Girl
03-01-2014, 12:52 PM
I've been thinking, I probably wouldn't last long in an apocalyptic situation, So, I think I would give serious consideration to dressing to the 9's and step into the thick of whatever is going on. If I'm going to be killed anyway, I might as well go pretty!

Bima
03-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Let me see....

Approaching my 50s, single, unmarried, childless, and virtually no friends.

Crap! I think that I am already living in the Post apocalyptic world.

Nevertheless, I still got CDing, fashion is good in this version of the post apocalyptic world, and I got my sense of humor and good mood intact. :-)))

/Bima
Thanks Isha for picking up the future theme. Good fun!
Cheers!

Aly Cat
03-12-2014, 06:44 PM
I have been making cosplay for years with materials I have had on hand that can be found just about anywhere. I also know how to make legit armor, leather working, and weapons. There are plenty of ways to take what is at hand and make something very feminine.

I consider myself TS so I would say there is no reverting back to male mode and just forgetting about it. Its as deep a part of who I am at the very core as it is for survival. I am in the process of laser hair removal at the moment so I will say that when s*** hits the fan, its already done and I dont have to worry about facial/chest hair. As previously mentioned, there are plenty of ways for makeup. That makeup could be just as much a part of survival skills as hunting or fishing. It is the difference between people seeing you and not.

Now, in terms of wardrobe, I think I would adopt a wardrobe similar to the pictures linked. They are all very feminine as they are practical. I guarantee that by the time you actually saw what I was wearing, I would have already determined if you were a threat or not and would have already either killed you or befriended you.
I was raised in the wilderness and know how to survive, disappear, and use the elements to my advantage. I would leave modern life behind in a fraction of a second if the occasion arose. I would be a zombie/alien/cannibal/whatever else came my ways worst nightmare. I guarantee it.

secretcd1
03-16-2014, 11:06 AM
I thin in a post apocalyptic world I'd be more interested in finding shotguns than clothes lol. Once humanity was saved I'd be overdue for some shopping though.