PDA

View Full Version : First Therapist appointment is scheduled for Wednesday.

kaylyn
03-03-2014, 12:06 AM
I have scheduled my first appointment with a gender therapist Wednesday. I was super nervous but speaking to people on this site has given me the strength to know this is the right thing and that I shouldn't be afraid. Thank you all for your support and kindness. It brought this girl to tears.

Michelle789
03-03-2014, 01:42 AM
Kaylyn,

I'm really happy for you. You are taking a MAJOR step in the right direction. I was very nervous about seeing a gender therapist. Especially after being tormented by a psychic who was supposed to help me and completely turned her back on me and my gender issues scared me of seeing a gender therapist. I literally needed 6 months, 300 posts, and 1000 private messages on this forum, plus several phone calls, and a couple of support group meetings before I had the confidence to go see a therapist.

What scared me of seeing a therapist was this:
1. The psychic. Feel free to PM me on the psychic, there's a lot of information. The psychic turned a blind eye to my gender issues, told me that all my issues comes from my father and overthinking, and that gender confusion comes from the devil.
2. Reading stories of therapists in the old days who could not help people with gender issues, or who gave poor advice such as marrying a nice girl instead of transition.
3. Gatekeepers who might come up with b.s. that your gender issues come from your father.

After I saw my therapist a lot of my confusion (but not all) disappeared. She confirmed that my childhood feelings of telling my parents that I was a girl at age 5, and wanting to grow up to be a woman at age 8, were gender dysphoria, and not some other mental illness nor does it come from my father.

I wish you the best of luck, and please let me know how it goes.

:) Michelle

princessheather86
03-03-2014, 03:21 AM
Hey Kaylyn, that's great! ^_^ I'm sure therapy will help you figure out your feelings and decide what you need to do next. Good luck!

My own therapy session is this Thursday, which I think is sometime on Wednesday in the US, so we'll be going at about the same time. Please tell us how everything goes, (only what you're comfortable sharing of course, no pressure) we're all rooting for you! ^_^ Love,

~Heather

Aimee20
03-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Being nervous is totally normal, but that will pass pretty quickly. A lot of times your first appointment is a getting to know you chat. Ask a lot of questions and get to know your therapist; trust is a big deal. Also therapy isn't a gate keeper to transfusion, this person is going to help you work through the challenges and choices you will face with transitioning. Just like any other doctor, your therapist desires to help improve your quality of life and do no harm.

Have fun and relax.

kaylyn
03-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Thank y'all for your support!! I feel so much better about everything. I'm still a little nervous but I'm more excited. I'll let y'all know how it goes!!!

steph1964
03-03-2014, 05:00 PM
I was extremely nervous the first time I went to my therapist. I felt like I was going in to confess to some shameful deviant behavior. She was great but it took me a few sessions to get comfortable with it since I had suppressed it all my life.

In the next three years she helped me go through the toughest time in my life and emerge a happy, content, well adjusted woman (Most of the time anyway). I couldn't have got through this without her.

If you allow yourself to be open with your therapist you will likely benefit a lot.

traci_k
03-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Seeing a therapist is the best thing you can do. Relax, be honest and all will be fine. You have no idea how great it is to talk to someone who understands.

Best Wishes and Hugs,

Megan G
03-03-2014, 06:24 PM
If you allow yourself to be open with your therapist you will likely benefit a lot.

I have to echo Steph's comment here. When it comes to therapy you only get out what you put into it. If you go into it only telling 1/2 truths she will not be able to help you to her fullest.

I have been seeing the same person for years and it was not until I finally opened up to her and told the truth was she able to finally help me to her full potential. Since then she has been a huge help in helping me work thru my issues and helping me get on the right path..

I look forward to our appointments, sometimes some very uncomfortable stuff gets discussed but in the end I always feel better leaving then when I went in.

Trish..

StephanieC
03-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Good luck on your appointment. My first therapist was incredibly welcoming and made me feel totally comfortable. And yes, I was very nervous as well.

-stephani

Angela Campbell
03-03-2014, 07:20 PM
My first therapist visit was kind of special. I was nervous but she was very nice and accepting. She told me one sentence that effected me to my very soul.

She said "it's ok to be a girl"

I think that sentence changed my life.

melissakozak
03-03-2014, 08:05 PM
You have taken a very bold and brave step....and it is natural to be nervous BUT gender counselors are very, very good at helping us discover who we are. Relax, be yourself and know that you are taking a great step in taking care of yourself....hugs, Melissa.

Rachel Smith
03-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I too was nervous but it only lasted for about the first 10 minutes after that it was the most freeing feeling I ever had. I told her things I swore I would never tell anyone. She had a way of getting me to feel comfortable talking about anything. I have seen 3 different therapist from VA to PA and back to VA. They all gave me that feeling of everything will be ok. I hope yours is as good as mine were. Like everyone else said just be honest. OH! and always take tissues.

Donna Joanne
03-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Good for you Kaylyn. Keep us updated and let us know how it's going. I'm in SWLA, not that far from you if you ever need someone to talk to. I'm here.

Hugs,
Donna

kaylyn
03-05-2014, 07:29 PM
So I was supposed to meet with a gender therapist today but her sad passed away so my meeting got moved to after spring break. :( sad situation for her. But now my new appointment is the 17th. I now have more time to think about what to do or say.

Christina Kay
03-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Just talk with an open heart. And as Rachel said you will be baring your soul ( those deep dark secrets). Best thing I ever did was go to see a Gender Therapist. Who nudged me to be open about this with my PCP. And a great weight was lifted and allowed me to take my first step on my journey.

Hugs :battingeyelashes:

kaylyn
03-08-2014, 12:54 AM
Would it be wrong if I dress as a woman for my therapy session or should I not do that?

Angela Campbell
03-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Whether or not you should is up to you. I did.

I Am Paula
03-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Be your most comfortable self. I went to all my appointments dressed. I think the therapist may have been shocked if I didn't.
If your wondering if it is appropriate to go as a woman, yes. The therapist is not there to judge, and may see a more accurate representation of you.

PretzelGirl
03-08-2014, 09:09 AM
I also think you should do what makes you comfortable. I got into the same mode thinking that if I went as a guy, I might not be be taken seriously. If I went as Sue, I might seem pushy. Holy cow! We can really mess with our own minds, can't we? The simplicity of it is what we wear doesn't really matter. They will figure it all out.

princessheather86
03-08-2014, 09:18 AM
If you are more comfortable presenting as yourself, go as a girl. It's entirely up to you.