PDA

View Full Version : insurance while traveling for surgery?

sandra-leigh
03-09-2014, 04:09 PM
While researching breast augmentation, I find that there appears to be a viable option in-country (Canada) about 900 miles east of me, and a couple of viable options about the same distance west of me, but nothing realistic where I am. But there is a quite highly rated plastic surgeon about 450 miles south of me in USA, so traveling there (at least for a consult) is an interesting possibility.

If I do travel for surgery outside of Canada, how would I handle medical insurance? I am covered by my provincial plan now, but expenses are much much higher in USA and I gather that it is not uncommon for US locations to require that the patient pay directly and then get reimbursed from the provincial plans. I would expect that companies such as Blue Cross Travel Insurance would not be willing to cover situations in which one is deliberately traveling for surgical purposes.

I am not asking about getting the surgery itself covered: I am thinking about the possibility of complications, or even just (hypothetically) being slower than average in healing and so needing a bit more time than typical before traveling back.

Much the same question could apply to travel to other locations (e.g., Mexico, Thailand) for SRS at some point.

Chickhe
03-10-2014, 12:43 AM
I think you usually buy supplemental health insurance if you leave Canada because provincial insurance covers you only while you are in Canada.

sandra-leigh
03-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Right, but there are usually limitations on what supplemental will cover, and I would suspect that deliberate medical treatment would not be covered.