PDA

View Full Version : Walking in High Heels

Karmen
03-09-2014, 05:10 PM
After all those years wearing normal high heels I tought I already conquered the skill of walking in them, but recently I bought big platform high heels and went fully dressed to a party in masks in them (ideal opportunity to go out in public dressed as a woman in some more provocative outfit and not raise any suspicion). It was a disaster. I tripped numerous times and even fell once. It's really hard to walk with them or am I doing something wrong? I had no problems walking around the apartment in them, but when the floor is not completely flat I can hardly walk normaly in them. You can see the photos of the shoes in attached files (not my feet). Raising of the heel is not higher than on some other shoes with big heels I have in my wardrobe and I can walk with them without problems. (heel is 6.7" and platform is 2.4")

Does anyone else have the same experience like me?

GeminaRenee
03-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I had a hard time the first time I went out in public, even after hours of apartment walking in them. The shoes I wore then weren't wedges like this, rather a platform-y pump. But the effect was the same.

The key for me is wearing them as much as possible. That includes wearing them out for purposes of real world practice. I try to wear each of mine outside, even for a few minutes, at least once a week. The outside world is so much more unpredictable - the elements, uneven surfaces, varying levels of grip and texture. Apartment walking is great for a lot of development, but you gain exponentially more out in the world.

natcrys
03-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Sorry to hear that this event was such a bad experience! :(

In those other heels, did you go outside? Did you walk with them on lots of different types of surfaces? How high were those heels? And what kind of heels?

I noticed myself that it's both heel height and heel type that matter. And of course.. whether the shoe itself fits perfectly or not. And what I also noticed.. I walk a lot better in 5 inch stilettos than 5 inch wedges, but my female friends all swear that wedges are much easier for them!

Practice, practice, practice! Inside.. outside! Even try running a little bit! I do karate, so practice my kicks in heels.. just to practice my balance! :)

Karmen
03-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Party was great, I just had a problem walking in this shoes. I have 3 pairs of 4" stiletto heels (2 sandals and 1 pumps) and I walked on numerous occassions outside with them without problems. I guess I'll have to practice my balance on this high platforms or just don't wear them outside any more. I really don't want to seriously hurt my ankles, especially not when dressed in female clothes.

Persephone
03-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Cute shoes! Sorry you had so much trouble with them!

I usually find high wedges easier to deal with than the same height in stilettoes, but the individual feel and balance of a pair of shoes can be quite different. Perhaps these shoes hold your foot at a different angle, throwing you off balance? Put them next to a pair you are comfortable in and see if they appear to be at the same angle side-to-side. If not, maybe some small pads or a modification of the heel could fix the problem.

Also, if they are new and only walked on previously on your carpet they may be very slick on the bottom. A trick that many women know is to roughen the bottom of the sole and heel before venturing onto slicker floors. Sandpaper or a long walk on a sidewalk could help.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Katey888
03-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Poor Karmen - I think mechanics have got the better of you... :hugs:

Most of your other shoes will flex as you walk - I'm afraid these monsters (yes - they are monsters... :)) won't flex and will require you to adopt a different way of walking where balancing on your toes, as the foot and shoe rolls forward, is much more critical. The larger the wedge (platform and heel) the more extreme the result.

One reason you will find no wedges in my wardrobe... :eek: But I hope you're OK...

Sell them on eBay or invest in knee and elbow padding... my recommendation... :2c:

Katey x

Karmen
03-09-2014, 06:50 PM
I think the 2.4" platform is a problem and foot easily overturns to the side on uneven ground. Until now I never had platform higher than 0.4". I guess selling them will be the smartest solution or I'll just use them for walking around the house sometimes.

Eryn
03-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Heels are definitely not "terrain" shoes! The geometry is just against you. Let's say that you're used to walking on flat surfaces and then you walk onto an irregular surface like pebble-inlaid concrete. If one pebble sticks up a quarter inch and you step on it at the edge of the sole your shoes will tilt over from 5 to 10 degrees. This doesn't sound like a lot, but if your shoe isn't firmly attached to your foot the inertia might carry you beyond your base of support and disaster will ensue.

People who are skilled at wearing heels will be very careful on even slightly irregular surfaces. When they do have to walk on irregular surfaces they will slow down and work on maintaining control over their shoes. It's not really a conscious thing, but an adaptation like one might have on a slippery surface or a steep slope with normal shoes.

If you want easier-to-control heels consider boots or booties. The additional material around one's ankles helps to support the platform and prevents it from twisting easily. Of course, if it does twist you will be in a world of hurt. I know a GG who managed to break her ankle when she stepped on her 2 inch wedges incorrectly!

Jamie Lynn
03-09-2014, 07:40 PM
I think you're having problems and fell because you're suffering from altitude sickness when you wear those!!!! ;) Yikes! They sure look great though!

Being Paige
03-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Yes practice on all floor types as it is different walking on carpert compared to hardwood, laminet, tile and other surfaces, each has it own feel in heels.

KellyTeddyBear
03-09-2014, 07:55 PM
I dont know if I could find heels large enough for my wide feet that are comfortable enough to wear for a long time. I drove a cab for a while and every weekend there would girls carrying their shoes due to sore feet and cute shoes. Is there a certain way to walk in heels?

rachel_rachel
03-09-2014, 08:16 PM
I had a problem in my favourite black stillettos.. I've never had a problem with them at all, I've done plenty of walking in them. I wore them out one night and my feet were slipping, aching and I even nearly fell in them. Another first that night was driving in them.

Helen Grandeis
03-09-2014, 08:27 PM
I don't know all the fine points of platform walking; however, your legs present an ideal set of curvatures!

Adriana Moretti
03-09-2014, 09:49 PM
those heels look easy to walk in... ESPECIALLY cause they are wedges...maybe its me cause in my early days stupid me bought 7 inch stripper heels ( what did i know) ....walk in them....and everything is downhill.....my trick to learning heels was dancing in them after a few cocktails.....if you can do that walking is easy!

if they are my size i will take them off your hands

NicoleScott
03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
The net rise of the heel is 4.3 inches and very manageable according to your post and the experience of many others including me. I have fallen a couple of times in shoes with platforms, and the problem was side-to-side instability due to plush carpet and thick padding underneath. Luckily no injuries, but probably could have been. I had no problems on hard surfaces, but that soft carpet did it for me. You didn't say what kind of surface you were walking on when you fell.

Beverley Sims
03-10-2014, 11:06 AM
No, but they are interesting heels.

Karmen
03-10-2014, 01:49 PM
those heels look easy to walk in... ESPECIALLY cause they are wedges...maybe its me cause in my early days stupid me bought 7 inch stripper heels ( what did i know) ....walk in them....and everything is downhill.....my trick to learning heels was dancing in them after a few cocktails.....if you can do that walking is easy!

if they are my size i will take them off your hands

Thanks for the offer, but I decided I'll keep them for now. They were not expensive (I paid only 25€ for them on ebay) and I might want to wear them again in the future, despite problems I encountered last time. I still like the look of them.

The net rise of the heel is 4.3 inches and very manageable according to your post and the experience of many others including me. I have fallen a couple of times in shoes with platforms, and the problem was side-to-side instability due to plush carpet and thick padding underneath. Luckily no injuries, but probably could have been. I had no problems on hard surfaces, but that soft carpet did it for me. You didn't say what kind of surface you were walking on when you fell.

The surface was hardened sandy road and slight downhill for the icing on the cake when I fell. I didn't slip on the sand or anything like that, because the sole is made ​​of rubber with good grip, but shoe overturned to the side, I tripped because of that and fell after that. I was suprised, because I was walking quite slow and watched how I step. Shoe also overturned to the side a few times on slightly uneven sidewalk made of asphalt, but on those occasions I went onward without any drama.

Felicia Dee
03-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Grrl, I feel your pain! My trick to conquering heels and wedges and platforms (oh my!) Is to focus walking on the balls of my feet. So far, as long as I do that, I'm fairly sure footed... ;)

KristyE
03-10-2014, 05:13 PM
OMG those are sooo cute! When I grow up I want some.
Love KristyE

Kristyn Hill
03-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Glad you are keeping them. They are very easy to walk in. You will get it.

Brenda B
03-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Try clomping around in size 15s!

katssun
03-11-2014, 06:01 PM
You definitely need to walk different ways in different heels.

As said above, boots are by far the easiest, as the material is supporting you. I have a pair of pumps, already a size smaller than normal (with toe and heel inserts no less!) that I slip out of if I'm not walking carefully in, making walking far more treacherous. The rest of my heels, be they sandals, mary janes, mules, or even heeled slippers, I have no problem in...but each requires a different style of walking.

It usually takes me a few minutes to get used to each pair. Some require a focus on landing on the ball of my foot, others allow me to easily land on the stiletto heel.

Practice, practice, practice. If you have a concrete basement or garage, use it. Practice on carpet, hardwood, and tile. Transitions between surfaces are the trickiest in my opinion. Even try to dance a little on each of the options, it will help with your balance. If you're adventurous, try standing on one foot in them (in a doorway for safety). If you're really daring...close your eyes for a few seconds. ;)

flatlander_48
03-11-2014, 10:06 PM
One thing to note about these shoes:

Beyond the curvature of the sole at the front, it is flat all the way back to the heel. With other shoes, you touch the floor/pavement under soft pad of your foot and at the heel. Any irregularity between those 2 points doesn't really make any difference as it doesn't touch anything. However, with those shoes, ANY irregularity will quickly be noticed. It requires that you know where you are walking and be very deliberate about it.

suchacutie
03-11-2014, 11:46 PM
The problem is the platform. The farther you get off the ground the shorter your strides must be. It is as f you are walking on short stilts.

It is very different from 5" stiletto heels where some part of your feet are still close to the ground. Watch other women walk in platform shoes ane you will see that they barely move their feet in any one step. Have fun!

One last thought: we don't talk enough about the advantage of stronger abs when walking in higher heels. If you hahaven't experienced the effect just suddenly tighten you abs while walking and notice the incredible increase in stability. Crunches and such do make a difference!

Jaylyn
03-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I still say the secret to heels are practice and I have found that keeping my legs in shape including my foot and ankles. I workout on an elliptical machine for at least thirty mins three times a week. Try and doing it on the balls of your feet as that emulates the heels in the air. My high heel walking has improved a lot by doing this. Just a suggestion.

marshalynn
03-12-2014, 12:18 AM
I have found that platforms have a very narrow sole on the shoe, which makes them very easy to turn your ankle side ways, soles of the shoe does not bend like a normal shoe, also the very high heel (7 plus inches) makes your height taller than your are use to, so this throws your depth perception off when walking, all this makes you walk in a not normal way. So very easy to stumble or fall.

Wendy me
03-12-2014, 06:40 AM
platforms plant foot stright down ..... heels walk on your toes.... easy ....

Kays_Heels
03-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Having bought my first pair of 3+ inch heels on impulse, it has been some learning curve and, while I have been out in public, albeit in drab, I am deafened by the reverberating sound of my attempts to walk without attracting untoward attention so feel a heighten sense of self-consciousness, there's an irony! All this shows that I have so much to learn and I am excited at the challenge so well worth persevering though although I have to remind myself to take it one step at a time, literally, as turning an ankle would be embarrassing to say the least! I look at shoes like Kristyn's avatar and wonder when I will have mastered the art sufficiently to find the nerve to try them out. Time will tell and in the meantime, grateful for a wealth of tips on this thread.

Ferl
05-03-2014, 02:51 AM
I like to wear heels very much, but i do not wear them in public. But i have also, tried them outside (on a lonly site) and could not find a big difference between in- and outdoor. But what i have found out is, that some heels do not have such a "good" angle in the foot bed. Because of this it is much harder to walk in them i think. Also if they are not fitting very well it makes it much harder to walk in them.
But i think there is no really difference on the heel form. Because i have also wedges and stilettos which are harder to walk in and have also wedges and stilettos which i think i could wear a very long time (a whole day? I have not tried that until now)...

BLUE ORCHID
05-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Hi Karmen, It sounds like maybe they weren't tight enough on your foot.