PDA

View Full Version : No choice but to be brave :)

Jesse Six
03-13-2014, 05:29 AM
I thought I was pretty adventurous yesterday by going out to a glbt community meeting... little did I know what was in store for me!!

I got dressed (wool jacket, jeans, heels, of course makeup and jewelery) and drove downtown to the community centre.
While doing some tight parking, I discovered my right front wheel started acting up. I barely got it to the curb.

So there I was in full dress, downtown Calgary, full of pedestrians and vehicles, with basically an inoperable car. Sun was still out.

I took off my nice wool jacket, got out, and proceeded (heels, wig and all) to jack my car up. Fortunately there was room curbside. A friendly guy on a bike offered to help, to which I deadpanned (in my only voice, male) "No thank you!". A quick examination determined that the tie rod was busted. A spare tire wasn't going to solve this.

So not letting it ruin my evening, I unjacked the car, left it parked, and attended the meeting. Turned out really fun.

I called in a tow truck, but heard that it'll be several hours, so I opted not to wait - they'd pick the car up off the street. Instead, seeing as I was right downtown, I walked a couple blocks to the train station, and took the train and bus home.

Fortunately, I was made up in what I'd consider "day wear" - looking nice, but not too eye catching. I'm 34 and have been told that I look pretty in dress. I was wearing the same wig as in my avatar.

I thought I was going to see 5-6 people at the glbt community centre, but instead half of downtown got an eyeful, including the city train. I think of all the people I passed on the street and the train, maybe 4 or 5 locked eyes with me and showed any signs of catching on. No one said a word.

I suppose you're wondering why I didn't take a cab home... What fun would that be? :D
When life gives you lemons, and all that...

DaniCD1986
03-13-2014, 05:34 AM
Congrats, you're a very brave girl. I'd die of a hearth attack on your situation. And of course, I had take a cab :)

Lynn Marie
03-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Now that's what I call truly "out in public"! I've had a similar experience. It sure makes "picking your venues" sound like child's play.

Krisi
03-13-2014, 06:39 AM
You could carry male clothes for just such an emergency. Just keep a bag in the trunk. You don't want to get your nice dress or heels dirty working on a car.

CarlaWestin
03-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Jesse, thank you for sharing your story. It just crashes right through all of the what if this happens fears that many of us have. I believe your unintended adventure provided more support than the meeting you attended. Very inspirational.

Katey888
03-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Jesse - you are a brave gal - I salute you! :cheer:

That is a bit of an adventure - nice to hear you came through it with flying colours...

I've got to say though - I think you're understating your day wear... If the rest of you looks as good as that little teasing segment we see in your avatar, you clearly have no trouble looking pretty... :D Which begs the question: when do we get to see more of you...?

Thanks for sharing the story - think you should share some pics... :)

Katey x

Sarasometimes
03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Way to stay strong! Glad the steering thing-a-ma-jig didn't break while you were moving quickly. Having drab clothes helps in these situation but since you didn't have that option you now know you can ride the train without a problem.Way to go. I hope the car repair and tow aren't too costly.

elliemoss
03-13-2014, 07:29 AM
A blessing in disguise, Im sure it made you realize how passable you are and how no one really takes much notice as they are too busy with their own lives.

Jennifer S
03-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Wow that's quite a story! Good job keeping your wits about you. Sounds like this will be the start of many more outings!

natcrys
03-13-2014, 08:26 AM
What a great story! :)

So, how did you feel after walking those extra metres in the heels?

Jaylyn
03-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Great story and you handled the situation very cool like. Love your attitude about the whole thing. Just another conquering day in the life of a cd. Thanks for sharing the story.

kimdl93
03-13-2014, 08:37 AM
I wonder, does this sudden immersion in public exposure give you greater confidence in going out? I've been out quite a bit and had two breakdowns while traveling en femme. Both turned out just fine and I took great encouragement from the experiences.

Stephanie47
03-13-2014, 09:05 AM
You could carry male clothes for just such an emergency. Just keep a bag in the trunk. You don't want to get your nice dress or heels dirty working on a car.

That's my thought, exactly. Whenever I go out en femme in the evening I always have a "man bag" in my car as well as wipes for removing any makeup. I know I would not want to 'out' myself at an inopportune time, but, also I would not want to ruin my outfit which is always a dress and heels.

Jorja
03-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Well that was certainly an introduction to going out enfemme to say the least. It sounds as though you handled very well. I know about broken tie rod ends. Mine broke the day after Christmas on the highway at 70 mph. I managed to get the car stopped safely but there were a few moments I thought the car was going to flip over. Scary stuff.

anaissa
03-13-2014, 09:31 AM
I loved your story, darlin'. Had a similar experience when my car broke down in front of a church just as a service was getting out. I received many offers of help and it seems I crossed paths with just about everyone in my community.

The outcome was great as I became much more comfortable dressed en femme. It was quite liberating actually. Sort of a baptism by fire.

Congratulations on your bold decision to make the most of the situation.

Nadine Spirit
03-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Good for you! An opportunity of adventure presented itself and you took control of it. :)

Beverley Sims
03-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Jesse,
Sounds like one of those forced dressing episodes with a twist. :)

Cabs? Cost too much.

Jesse Six
03-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Thank you all for the kind words. Despite the repair cost, I'm actually feeling quite upbeat this morning!

You could carry male clothes for just such an emergency.

That was my big lesson for the day, I agree. Having said that, I had other options (cab, friends at the community centre, friends over the cell phone). I chose not to exercise those options because... I wanted to get out there!

Which begs the question: when do we get to see more of you...?

Katey, I'm dying to post some of my pics (especially since I've been working on my cellphone photography skills), but I'm not out with my work and extended family. So I don't think I'll be posting full-face shots in public forums - sorry honey. :(

I wonder, does this sudden immersion in public exposure give you greater confidence in going out?

That was exactly it. A week ago, I would be hyperventilating going from car door to house door in dress. Now, all that seems so trivial.

Cabs? Cost too much.
Bingo :D
I figured "steering? $1200. Tow? $25. Train ticket? $3. Confidence boost - priceless."

Jenniferathome
03-13-2014, 10:40 AM
... Whenever I go out en femme in the evening I always have a "man bag" in my car as well as wipes for removing any makeup. ...

You know, I never do this. Let circumstances fall where they will. I am not ashamed or embarrassed (any more). If I need a cab, so be it. It's kind of liberating letting go of that safety line.

Lorileah
03-13-2014, 10:50 AM
You could carry male clothes for just such an emergency. Just keep a bag in the trunk. You don't want to get your nice dress or heels dirty working on a car. Does it have to be men's clothing? I have a pair of coveralls for that. And in this case, I doubt the OP wanted to replace the tie rod in public anyway.

You know, I never do this. Let circumstances fall where they will. I am not ashamed or embarrassed (any more). If I need a cab, so be it. It's kind of liberating letting go of that safety line.

:yt: I agree. And when offered help I say "yes". So many complain about he lack of chivalry but when it is offered they "buck up" and the male pride kicks in.

Oh and thanks for reminding me my AAA is overdue

Alice Torn
03-13-2014, 12:25 PM
As someone else, said, it was a good thing the tie rod did'nt break in traffic! Your story would likely have been much different, including an accident, other drivers, and police! You were fortunate!

Jules Spirit
03-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Good for you!! After going out with my husband many, many times with him dressed as a woman, we have seen repeatedly that people are not really interested in looking at others. They go about their daily lives rarely seeing what's around them. But it is so important for me to also mention that the people we do interact with are wonderful and kind, really no matter where we've been.

Kate Simmons
03-13-2014, 12:55 PM
That was some adventure Jesse. I'm glad you were okay. Sometimes we just do what we have to do my friend.:)

Marcelle
03-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi Jesse,

Sounds like quite the adventure and you handled it grace and poise. I find taking public transit is normally a non-event as most people hate being on buses so they pull out an e-reader, ipod, ipad or whatever, zone out and ignore the world. So did you get your tie-rod repaired?

Hugs

Isha

suzanne
03-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Very nicely done! In one outing you cleared months worth of hurdles that I for one haven't reached yet. (I do go out dressed, just not all the places you tell of) In many situations besides the one you describe, the curtain goes up and YOU'RE ON, and all you can do is go forward. It's the proverbial 'getting thrown off the dock' to start swimming. I bet you're ready and eager for your next outing.

Mafalda
03-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Wow! Such an exciting story! I really don't know what I would have done in your situation. You have shown that sometimes things look impossible, until you don't really try! Congratulations

Jesse Six
03-15-2014, 04:52 AM
So did you get your tie-rod repaired?

Yep, just got the car back today. $400. Which I consider not bad. If the rack-and-pinion steering was damaged, that would probably be closer to $1200.