PDA

View Full Version : Crap that hurt

Cheyenne Skye
03-13-2014, 05:05 PM
I've had a few sessions of electrolysis but had to stop last year due to finances. It has been driving me nuts having to look in the mirror and shave. So I got a decent tax refund this year and kind of decided on a whim to look into laser instead. I want to get rid of more hair faster. I went earlier this week for a consultation and after we settled on a deal, they went ahead with the first session.

I've seen it described as being snapped with a rubber band. I have to disagree. It's like getting snapped with a military grade bungee cord. And this was what the nurse said was the lowest setting. But she also seemed oblivious to the fact that I was ready to scream. She just kept going, spot after spot. So I just had to ask her to stop for a second. I could probably have taken it better if she would have just stopped for a few seconds after two or three pulses. You know, give me a chance to recover a little.

And to think I have eight more sessions to go (and they will be increasing the power). OOWWW!:eek:

whowhatwhen
03-13-2014, 05:20 PM
We all interpret pain differently, hang in there because it's so worth it!
I can suggest taking ibuprofin an hour or two beforehand.

Some people suggest emla but my laser tech doesn't want it used, everyone has their own procedure though.
To be fair though it might have just been a bad day for you.

There have been times I've had to stop electrolysis after 30 minutes because I was seconds away from breaking down into a blubbering mess.

Cheyenne Skye
03-13-2014, 06:01 PM
The only problem I ever had with electrolysis was that I had a hard time staying still for an hour. I get fidgety after about fifteen minutes.

Keri L
03-13-2014, 07:11 PM
i have had two sessions of laser on my face, so far. The first one was nearly unbearable. The salon sells numbing cream for the face, so I bought and used some for my second session. That helped tremendously. It still hurt, but I was able to finish with no breaks. I definitely will use the numbing cream from here on out.

Best,
Caitlyn

Dianne S
03-13-2014, 08:07 PM
I've had one laser session. It did hurt a lot, but the technician was very patient and stopped and waited for me to recover whenever it got too intense. She also gave me a couple of stress balls to hold. Also, the machine she uses has a cold metal band along the outside of the laser aperture, so after she's zapped one area and moves to the next area, the first area is cooled down.

I didn't use any numbing gel or anything like that. Just an ice pack after the session. Apparently, the first two sessions are the worst and then it gets easier as there's less and less dark hair to absorb the laser energy.

From what I've heard, electrolysis is much worse than laser, so I'm really really hoping laser gets most of my hair.

PretzelGirl
03-13-2014, 09:41 PM
It does get easier each time as the pain is related to the density of the hair. My rules when I did laser were no caffeine for hours prior, prescription level dose of ibuprofen, and be very hydrated as skin handles things better in its healthy state. After that, try and do it like when you rip a bandaid off. If you have pauses, the misery lasts longer. If they tear through it, it is over sooner.

Inna
03-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Electrolysis is really the only guarantee of getting arid of hair permanently. Laser does well with dark hair however within fine print it stipulates that it will slow the hair regrowth but does not mention anything about permanent hair removal.
Skin tonality is also a factor which determines intensity of a beam, the lighter the skin the stronger burst with better effect.

I had been a subject to both. Laser is a kid play in comparison to electrolysis. I have received one of the highest settings on laser as well as electrolysis, let me tell you, the needle leaves the skin tissue burned and trauma associated is unbearable. 3 nights post procedure were simply a torture.

So are you fair skinned and your hair are dark brown to black, laser will do well over long period of time, but if otherwise, electrolysis is the way.
There are some places which offer anesthesia for the duration of procedure, sounds great, but costs associated with such are well above regular affordability, at least speaking from the broke TS perspective, lol.

Eryn
03-14-2014, 12:20 AM
I agree with Inna, laser was pretty easy compared to electrolysis. The discomfort was probably on a par, but it was over much faster. The laser place offered numbing gel so I never tried it without. Numbing gels really don't reduce the discomfort, they just let the technician use higher power settings for better effectiveness.

The thing I didn't like about laser was that it wasn't as effective as they lead you to believe. It works OK if you have really black hair and very fair skin, but if you are normal you will have some growth after. It's a good way to get the "low hanging fruit" before electrolysis.

Electrolysis is a long road, but it will eventually slay the hair dragon. I use numbing gel on my lips and, like for laser, it allows my electrologist use higher settings there. She's pretty good about working her way in and out to keep me going without having to pause. A few on the lip, back out to the chin, back to the lip for a few, clean up the eyebrows...etc.

gonegirl
03-14-2014, 02:39 AM
Cheyenne Skye - this topic has been hashed out many times in this forum. There are endless opinions as to which is best, however, the general consensus is that laser is not permanent and electrolysis if carried out properly is eventually permanent. Thee are no fast outcomes to permanent hair removal. You either pay now or you pay later.

Eryn - I'm curious as to why does your electrologist technician use higher settings on different areas of your face?

Angela Campbell
03-14-2014, 02:42 AM
If they tear through it, it is over sooner.

It is Never over.........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

arbon
03-14-2014, 10:08 AM
When I was doing laser there were a few times I was in tears.

LeaP
03-14-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm not a candidate for it at this point anyway, but I wouldn't do laser on my face. Laser isn't trained and regulated to the same degree that electrolysis is in most places, for one thing. And the risk of scarring is higher as a result. I have scarring on my back from laser tattoo removal. My electrolysis tech is a proponent of laser for anywhere on the body - except the face.

Dianne S
03-14-2014, 11:40 AM
I have my laser work done in a doctor's office, so I am fairly confident it is safe. I realize I'll probably need to do electrolysis when laser has run its course, but I hope that the laser will save me quite a bit of electrolysis time down the road.

Nigella
03-14-2014, 12:21 PM
I found laser quite easy to take, apart from the top lip. Laser, at least for my part, has been a permanent solution for the dark hairs. I still have a couple of sessions to go, but so far have not had any requirement to use them at least for 18 month. I would re-echo the call "
Start hair removal early". I occasionally look like the bearded lady as I allow the light hair to grow prior to electrolysis.

I found that that the feeling of laser was "twanging the elastic band". TBH, the amount of pain felt is very much down to an individuals pain threshold.

PretzelGirl
03-15-2014, 08:37 AM
I had an electrolysis appt this week. After a year and a half of laser, I was only seeing gray hairs. Now, after a year and a half of electro, I looked in the mirror and the hairs that remain were predominately dark. I am a proponent of laser before electrolysis, but it does show that for some, you will get some recovery of the hairs you thought were killed off during laser.

Eryn
03-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Eryn - I'm curious as to why does your electrologist technician use higher settings on different areas of your face?

Every time she zaps a follicle there is a chance the the follicle will eventually recover and regrow. The higher the setting, the greater the chance of a follicle being killed permanently. The strategy, therefore, is to us the highest setting but stopping short of skin reactions which will cause scarring. The hair should slide out easily after being treated, but there shouldn't be any popping sounds or immediate bumps forming at the treatment site. If I'm not feeling the zaps I'll have her try a higher setting to see if I can tolerate it. If I can, great, but sometimes she will decide to turn it down again if she doesn't like what it is doing to my skin.

The most problematical areas are those around the lips. High hair density, sensitive skin, and a lot of skin moisture mean that settings have to be lowered. Most of my face is very clear but we're still playing whack-a-mole with the fine hairs on my lips.

whowhatwhen
03-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm not a candidate for it at this point anyway, but I wouldn't do laser on my face. Laser isn't trained and regulated to the same degree that electrolysis is in most places, for one thing. And the risk of scarring is higher as a result. I have scarring on my back from laser tattoo removal. My electrolysis tech is a proponent of laser for anywhere on the body - except the face.

I'm not sure about here, I think it is, but in the end it's also up to the consumer to locate a place that is reputable.
There's going to be more risk in a groupon deal vs asking other transwomen who they have experience with.

That being said laser is worthwhile for me because my facial hair is the biggest component of my dysphoria and I couldn't wait the 200+ hours it would've required to even get to the point that 4 or 5 laser sessions have.
This would be different if electro was covered under govt health plans and handled the way SRS is so people could go to those marathon electro spas.

dreamer_2.0
03-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Ah yes, laser. I just had my 2nd session this past Tuesday. The first session was quite uncomfortable (especially the chin, upper lip and jaw bone) and left me with terrible acne and ingrown hairs all over, mostly on the neck. After about a week hair started shedding and I lost a lot! However the chin and upper lip remained virtually unchanged. I say virtually as there is one patch perfectly shaped to the laser head on my chin that is completely bare. So I guess it worked perfectly there, not sure why it didn't affect the surrounding area.

As for the 2nd session, it wasn't as uncomfortable, in fact I barely felt anything on my neck except for a small pulse of heat. Even the chin and upper lip weren't as painful. Having said that, the aftermath is something I'm presently dealing with.

Oh my god, the acne! The gross, disgusting whiteheads! The crusty, painful pustules that make me want to just tear my chin off! I've tried acne wash, some mild oxy pads, aloe vera, even a small amount of organic coconut oil, all with no success. I believe the acne is caused by fried hairs clogging the pores and after the first session it was easy enough to just pop the zit and said hair would come out easily. Not so this time. Hairs aren't falling out like last time. It feels as if the follicles are still very much alive and staying put. It's as if they're trying to remind me that "dude, you're a dude and we belong here."

I very reluctantly shaved today despite my chin being such a mess. It hurt but I got through it slowly and carefully. It's far from the best shave job but I didn't want to apply the usual amount of pressure and increase the risk of scarring. I'm still concerned about scarring but we'll see what happens.

It's embarrassing going to work or simply out for errands. Yesterday a nosey little twit at work commented on my face forcing me to respond "oh, I decided to shave against the grain and look what happened!". At least others were respectful and not comment.

If there is any silver lining, I'm sure glad I didn't start this later on or after going full time. That would've been a complete train wreck!

Cheyenne Skye
03-15-2014, 06:30 PM
For the record, I am of Celtic and Germanic ancestry so I am fair skinned and the hairs are dark and very coarse. The woman who did my first session is a nurse practicioner and the other people who do the treatments are registered nurses. I feel like I should do okay at this place. So far since the treatment, the hairs seem to be pushing toward the surface faster than normal. I have been using an electric shaver since the treatment because it is less irritating.

Madie
04-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Laser definitely is painful for me. I take ibuprofin beforehand but even then it's not a fun time. I actually prefer my technician to not pause and take breaks and get it over with quickly since any pausing just 'tortures' me in anticipation of it happening again. Pain aside, the smell is the worse thing for me. Worth it in the end though. I never had Electrolysis, is the pain worse or easier? How's it feel different?

GabbiSophia
04-05-2014, 05:28 AM
During my consult the owner put me on a strict diet of no sun. I have to use sun screen everyday and stay out of the sun as much as possiable. This is going to be hard as i work out doors but i put my 70 sunblock on every morn now. Hopefully in a few weeks i will lose my tan

Keri L
04-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I had my third laser treatment on my face (and abs, arms and chest) yesterday. I used the numbing cream again, but the pain was much less than sessions one and two. In fact, I was a little worried that perhaps the session was not as productive. But, the technician did say that the pain directly correlates with the hair left to be removed. And, hearing some of your stories, I feel a little better now. After all, with it taking so long (one treatment every 2 months), you don't want to feel like you are wasting your time.

DreamerGirl, after my first session, I didn't have a lot of acne, but I did have several little "hair islands"/dark patches. I went to Sephora, and they recommended Origins Vitazing moisturizer with a sheer tint and SPF 15 protection. It did help to even everything out a bit. But, since it was a little shiny, like a light foundation, I had to use some pressed powder to get rid of the shine. Then, I took a towel and brushed everything off of my cheekbones up to my hairline near by eyes. That helped everything to look a little less like I was wearing any makeup. My wife said it looked fine, i.e. it didn't look like I was wearing makeup. So, you may give it a try.

Best,
Caitlyn

DebbieL
04-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Emla is a cream that can be applied to the face about 15-30 minutes before the treatment. It will help numb you up, but not as deep as you'd like. I found that holding ice to my face for about 10 seconds before getting zapped made it possible to take it for up to a minute at full power. I used a Tria and later a Remington Shaser I-Light (http://www.remingtonproducts.com/womens/ipl/i-light-pro/i-light-pro-intense-pulsed-light-hair-removal-system.aspx)

Is she using Gentlase? Some machines blow very cold air to provide the numbing effect.

Eryn
04-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Emla is a useful numbing agent but you have to be careful how it is used. To be effective it has to be covered with plastic wrap and kept from exposure to air as it numbs your skin.

Many laser places that are run by people who can prescribe use a more effective lidocaine gel that is petroleum jelly based. It does not require covering and tends to absorb better for a deeper and longer-lasting numbness. The bad news is that it is usually custom-compounded by a dermatologist and therefore isn't as readily available. It won't make things painless, but it will allow use of higher settings on the laser or electrolysis equipment.

Paulette
04-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Not knowing where you live, I will still suggest that you check out Senza Pelo Med Spa in Phoenix AZ. Maria and the ladies there will attack those stubborn hairs with everything in the book. They do both Laser and electrolysis and they even have injections for the pain. I once slept through a two hour treatment with two techs working at the same time. My treatment time has been as much as 32 hours over two and half days. I have deep rooted hair which is also course.

mikiSJ
04-08-2014, 08:38 PM
I tried laser when it first came out in the mid '90s and I was given a topical anesthetic to be put on 30 minutes before the session. It still hurt and for me felt like getting zapped by static electricity from walking across a carpet

I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, but when I start electrolysis later this year I am going to go for 4 or more hours at a sitting. Since I am retired and have no need to be anywhere in particular, I will bake up a few cookies and take one while I am in the waiting room. (I am in California and have a medical marijuana card for arthritis). I'll use the cookie in conjunction with a prescribed topical anesthetic. Put on a pair of head phones and let the gardening start.

Ann Louise
04-09-2014, 12:03 AM
I get a two-hour genital electrolysis treatment every week in preparation for SRS next February. I take a vicodin about 40 minutes before we start, then a second one about 10 minutes before we actually start the treatment. Lots of friendly girl chat make it bearable, too, as my electrologist is an angel and can tell from my reactions when she's on a "hot one." Only about one out of every 12 hairs is a real zinger, but if I keep in mind how serious the reason is that I'm there, it's not too bad. FFS was quite a bit more discomforting, so it's a matter of perspective I think. Good luck in the battle of hair, and keep your eye on the prize. Love you all, Ann

SusanLaine
04-12-2014, 01:16 PM
I started with Laser about 6-7 years ago - cost me $2700 for 13 treatments (over ~20 months) - and yes, they hurt a lot. My skin is very fair and my hair is brownish with some gray and some black mixed in. Laser was a complete waste of $ and time for me - it all came back within 2 years of my last treatment. It took me 3 electrologists to find a good one and now, after 2.5 years at 90 minutes a week I'm finally getting nearly there - almost total clearing and very little regrowth. Look for an electrologist that uses a pico machine and avoid the "blend" method. Pico is faster per hair and the "blend" method was very slow - both hurt a lot so I went for the faster-per-hair method.

Also, your electrologist should adjust their machine for only you and it will change as the hairs get finer (they get finer before they disappear - the little buggers). I went to one highly rated (in the TG community) electrologist that just left her machine set on high for everyone and she marked my skin for 6 months. It worked but I was afraid I'd be scared for life and left her behind.