PDA

View Full Version : Retail therapy...or bribery and corruption

Lilith Moon
01-10-2006, 07:49 AM
I crossdressed regularly and got out in public some time ago but never came clean to my wife. My day job gave me plenty of opportunities and my wife was away from home for several days each week on various college courses. Since moving here and working from home we have lots of privacy but I now have no opportunities for dressing in secret. So, I did what I should have done decades earlier. I told my wife.

Since then we have been struggling to reach an understanding, but things had pretty much ground to a halt. This must be a familiar story to many in here. She was not interested in CD-ing, which was to be expected. She didn’t want to talk about it and certainly did not want to reach out to anyone else for advice. Her position was “Do it at home if you must, but all doors & windows must be securely locked. Nobody must ever find out etc. etc.” It was to be our dirty little secret and discussion has gradually tailed off over the last year. For my part, I have felt uncomfortable about dressing while she is around due to her obvious disapproval. In fact, she is around for almost 100% of the time right now and this has pretty much put my dressing on hold.

For months now, this little community has been my only involvement in CD-ing. Thank you all for a lifeline. I have felt like a pressure cooker about to burst for those months and, several times, have sort of collapsed emotionally as a response to trivial upsets. I’ve sat down, paralyzed and crying for a couple of hours…followed by a deep sleep. The pressure is adversely affecting my whole life; time I should be spending on other things is taken up by a constant painful preoccupation with needing to dress.

I’m writing this, because yesterday we seem to have made a little progress. I tried something really simple…bribery. I told my wife that I wanted to go shopping. The deal was that, for every femme item I bought, she should also purchase an item of equivalent or greater value. I was expecting the usual irritated shrug and sudden change of subject. Instead, she quickly agreed provided I didn’t make it obvious to the sales persons that the clothes were for me. She would pretend they were for her. (We are of similar build.) I’m happy to purchase girly clothes for myself, done it loads of times, but I agreed to the deal. So, the outcome was a great day out shopping, which she enjoyed.

Ironically, when we got to the checkout with dozens of sale items she needed to go to the loo and I ended up standing by myself holding the skirts and lingerie, queuing, chatting to women in the queue and of course, paying. When we got home she complimented me on my fashion sense and jokingly suggested that I become her fashion adviser. We were both worn out at that stage so a fashion show was postponed. I’ve told her that I would like for us to model our new goodies together and she seems cool about the idea so far. This may seem like a tiny step to some of you, but is a giant leap for my wife ;)

I just thought I would write this in the hope that it will inspire others looking for a way to move forward in a similar impasse situation. Hope it helps.

TGMarla
01-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Tiny step? No way! That's great! It's a giant leap! Just remember not to be too giddy. She may change her attitude. But congratulations anyway!

CharleneCD
01-10-2006, 09:13 AM
I think this may have been a very positive step. I am going to take a guess at what has happened. Many women's veiw and understanding comes from what they see in the news, and most of that is drag queens. So when they find out we are crossdressers they immidiatly picture us in that role. By going shopping with her, you showed her that you like to dress in a normal and tasteful manner, thereby releiving some of her fears. This was a major concern of my wife Bunny. I quickly reminded her that I have been helping her buy her clothes for a long time and then showed her pics on the forum of girls I would pattern my dress styles after. She warmed up alot after that.

So basicly I think you have taken away a boundry to her acceptance of your dressing. I hope the trend continues.

Marla GG
01-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Lilith, that does sound like progress. Congratulations. My hope is that what started out as an attempt at bribery, turned into a genuinely fun shared experience that may help her to see your crossdressing in a new light. You have found a way for her to participate that appeals to her, and as she gets more involved, she may begin to feel less threatened.

I also want to comment on something else you said:

I have felt like a pressure cooker about to burst for those months and, several times, have sort of collapsed emotionally as a response to trivial upsets. I’ve sat down, paralyzed and crying for a couple of hours…followed by a deep sleep. The pressure is adversely affecting my whole life; time I should be spending on other things is taken up by a constant painful preoccupation with needing to dress.

Is your wife aware of how your need to dress is affecting your mood? Does she truly understand how much you are suffering? If you haven't tried to explain to her that your mental health depends on having this need satisfied, please consider doing so. She may not make the connection on her own and may think your depression has other causes. If she realizes how much happier you are when you can dress freely, that could make a big difference in her attitude.

paulaN
01-10-2006, 09:33 AM
I am in that pressure cooker right now. I need some dress-up time and soon. That will not happen until my oldest is back at school and I have a talk with the wife about my need to dress. The talk will be the hard part. I realy need some dress up time befor the cooker explodes.

uknowhoo
01-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Dear Lilith. I agree with Marla, the ends did justify the means in this case. While it sounded a whole lot like bribery at its inception, your plan was a success, and seems to have brought you two closer. I wish you continued good luck, but suggest that you take things somewhat slowly (you probably already knew that though;) ). Take care, Tammi

Best wishes for you two Paula*, I hope you can figure out something workable for your wife and you. Hugs, Tammi

JocelynG
01-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Wow Lilith. That was a sly move and I'm happy that it worked out for you.Congratulations:cheeky:

DonnaT
01-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Congratulations Lilith, getting her to go go girly shopping is big.

I’ve told her that I would like for us to model our new goodies together and she seems cool about the idea so far.

I hope it goes over well.

GypsyKaren
01-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi Lilith

I'm so glad that you're finally able to move forward on this. I told my wife last year and she has been so supportive, so I know how helpful it is to have someone in your corner. I hope you two continue to make progress, small steps will still get you to the finish line.

GypsyKaren

Shelly Preston
01-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Congratulations Lilith

This has been a small step but the implications could be immense
Hopefully you wife will accept the chance for you to model the clothes you purchased

Please keep us all updated

We are all praying this breakthrough improves you situation and gets to a point where your wife will be comfortable with your dressing.

TV_Allie
01-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Congrats Lillith,
I, like you, have enjoyed girlie shopping with my wife. As a cautionary note, Allthough my wife says she enjoys my little "quirk", I sometimes sense some discomfort if I dress with her around. I would suggest taking it very easy on her while she comes to some sort of acepttance with it...
Otherwise, Do enjoy the girlie time together when it comes.

Charlene Marie
01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Lilith, Congradulations! Any understanding that helps is a big step. Your wife sounds like a very fun and understanding person. Your are very lucky.
Best of Luch in the future.

Raychel
01-11-2006, 02:38 AM
Congratulations Lilith. I love to go shopping with my wife. Some times she gets more stuff than me, some times we each get about the same amount. Either way we usually spend way to much money. But anyway it is enjoyable and relaxing for both of us. We always find a sitter for the kids and it is just the two of us on a nice little mini-vacation. :D :thumbsup:

My wife still does not want to see me dressed up, But she knows about it and seams to be accepting it.

It sounds like you are pretty much on the same road as I am. I am pretty sure that it will all turn out to be best. We may just have to wait until they are ready. But for me I can see that happening someday.

Anyway congratulations on your fun shopping trip.

Lilith Moon
01-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Is your wife aware of how your need to dress is affecting your mood? Does she truly understand how much you are suffering? If you haven't tried to explain to her that your mental health depends on having this need satisfied, please consider doing so. She may not make the connection on her own and may think your depression has other causes. If she realizes how much happier you are when you can dress freely, that could make a big difference in her attitude.
Marla,
Many thanks for pointing that out. As always, there is some context and history surrounding what happened. When I first came out to her I tried to present it as something positive and fun to do...which it is if everybody involved is cool with it and if it is part of a relationship. I didn't want her to see it as something "heavy" and obsessive. However, I believe that may have been a mistake in our case, it may have trivialised my needs. First impressions stick and I think that she has not been fully aware of my anguish until recently, despite my episodes of sobbing. I'm not sure why I have not clearly explained this to her...maybe, at some level, I didn't want to be seen to "play up" to get what I wanted.

I have taken your advice to heart and, when the time is right, I intend to explain how important this is to me and what my emotional "episodes" are all about. Once again, thanks for listening.

Lilith Moon
01-11-2006, 06:46 AM
I would like to thank you all for your support, I'm shedding a few tears as I write this. You are such lovely people...I'm proud to be among you.

The promised dressing session hasn't happened yet, but this is not such bad news. My wife has back problems. On the day following our shopping trip she was in some pain and in bed for most of the time. When I mentioned trying stuff on she asked me to wait until she was well enough to join me ! I don't want to undo what has been achieved in the last few days so I shall not push too hard right now.

Thank you all for your messages, I've read every single one of them.

CharleneCD
01-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Not bad news at all. It does sound like she is still willing to try. By her reaction and your willingness not to push her I think you two have a great chance to improve your relationship. Great news.:thumbsup: