PDA

View Full Version : I do't understand the height thing

audreyinalbany
03-17-2014, 07:20 AM
So many of us seem to be hung up on height, as though a 6' tall woman is so unusual. I'm not tall, so maybe my point of view is a little skewed, but I'm around 5'10" and there are PLENTY of women who TOWER over me. I think you need to stop being so self-conscious about being tall

Diana81
03-17-2014, 07:23 AM
I think a part of the problem might lie in the desire to wear some nice heels... I'm 6' and the only shoes I own have 5'' heels, it's pushing it a bit! But on the bright side, being tall might attract attention to your body, your legs, which gives me some security because I feel it takes attention out from my face and hair...

Ezekiel
03-17-2014, 07:23 AM
Absolutely true, you can be very beautiful and very tall at the same time. Its something obvious to me. The thing is that passing might become harder not because that height makes one look worse, but because you draw more attention and thus more scanning.

Thats really the problem concerning height, nothing else.

Chari
03-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Consider this: no matter what your male height/size, somewhere in this world there is a GG with the same dimensions! Always be proud, comfortable, and confident in who you are, in what ever you choose to wear! Enjoy.

Adriana Moretti
03-17-2014, 08:38 AM
i am 5.10 myself....and always need to remind myself that that is the minimum height to be a victoria secret super model. Most are that height if you look them up....

Pretty Nails
03-17-2014, 08:48 AM
I am 5'11" and I just love to wear high heels. I typically wear a 5 or 6 inch heel and that makes me much taller than the average female walking about town. On my recent outing it certainly drew more attention to me but as some others have said here "so what!" I am tall and I am beautiful. And, I can reach things on the top shelf :-)

Jenny Elwood
03-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Hi Audrey

For me it's not that I'm self-conscious or hung-up about my height (6'6" without heels) or anything like that. I like that I'm tall, the only thing is that us tall ladies would also like to sometimes have the option of going out and NOT be spotted right away. Unfortunately length is not something you can switch on/off or even hide like you can with say broad shoulders.

FeliciaCDSNJ
03-17-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm 6'4" without heels, I don't mind being tall (in most cases) but what I do mind is that I tend to hit my head a lot on some doorways. I've even done that in heels lol. I don't mind being tall because there are a lot of women who can dwarf me or make me look like I'm shorter than what I am so I've come to terms to accept my height. It's just the head hitting part that I don't like.

~Joanne~
03-17-2014, 09:04 AM
I am 5' 10" also so I don't really don't pay attention to the height thing but I can understand why some would. Who wants to stand above everyone else and draw unwanted attention to themselves? females in general these days are a lot taller. I am sure they have the same worries sometimes

Joanne f
03-17-2014, 09:22 AM
That is a bit like saying " I have loads of money but you don't I can not understand why you worry about it " :heehee:

Stephanie47
03-17-2014, 09:23 AM
When I am out my attention is immediately drawn to a tall woman because they are still the exception and not the rule. Sure, there are many tall women. My former sister-in-law was six foot even and her sister was just as tall. The problem is not that these women are tall, but, they turn heads. And, when heads are turned the women are under more scrutiny. Not in a bad way, but, still under more scrutiny. A guy who is tall also has the potential issues of bulk. Men are built differently. If a cross dressing guy is seeking to blend, well, it's not going to work out well.

I'm six foot even. I weigh 195 pounds. I do not pass for a women even if I do not wear my three inch or four inch heels. If you're going to a venue where cross dressers typically go, it's not a big deal. If you're going to the mall, you're not going to "blend." I know there are many of you who do not care whether or not you are identified as a cross dressing male, but, there are more of us who enjoy anonymity.

GeminaRenee
03-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Maybe you need to think more about how other people feel?

I'm not tall myself, so I don't really know what it's like. But I can imagine that once you're above 6 foot, it's hard not to stand out - or at least feel like you're standing out. Maybe in NY they're pumping out 6 foot ladies like crazy, but not here. But even at 5'6", I often feel like my dressing makes me stand out. I can only imagine if I was a foot taller, with all the same masculine cues to hide.

No thanks. I think if the taller t-girl feels self-conscious, he or she is well within reasonable rights to do so.

Meg East
03-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Being tall (6'3") makes finding dresses difficult. Four inch heels creates the "doorway" problem. On the plus side you have miles of leg.

Jenny Elwood
03-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Have to concur with you Meg. Dresses are normally out. They just don't sit right or the length is off. It's easier to get it right with skirts. I have to watch doorways in guy mode as well so I've learnt not to bump my head too often.

samantha rogers
03-17-2014, 10:28 AM
How odd...I am six three barefoot, so the height issue is a concern in that, as others have said, tall girls stand out and so are studied more. But I have not had trouble with dresses, so long as I am careful with the style. Dresses with belts or a defined waist line are admittely tough, but sheath styles are fine and I love them.
Ironically, right before my first public outing, having just complained about the whole height thing to a friend, I was at the mall with my SO and spotted not one, but two different, stunning GGs walking around (not together - one was with a husband and kids) and both were easily my height without heels. It was hard not to study them though...not because they were odd...rather because both were quite beautiful. Tee hee:heehee:

Sallee
03-17-2014, 10:43 AM
I am 5' 10" and seldom wear heels unless I am out to a CD function or club. Granted there are gg's over 6' but not many and they do stand out At least I notice them, often fall in lust with them LOL, But if I am trying to blend in where ever heels don't help. Heels weren't made to help thats why gg's wear them to stand out I love them but I just know they won't get me mam'd in a store I'll be 6'2" in them and most likely the only girl around at that height.

Cheryl T
03-17-2014, 10:47 AM
The "height thing" is always in our minds when we first decide to venture out of the closet. We think it will be the biggest "tell" of all and everyone will stare. We, YES, they will stare ! After all, how many of us would not look twice (or more) at a lovely woman who is what we consider taller than the norm?
There are many, many women who are 6' or taller these days and once you get past the jitters and decide to own it when you go out your height no longer matters.

Eryn
03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
That is a bit like saying " I have loads of money but you don't I can not understand why you worry about it " :heehee:

Absolutely!

At 6'2" I am at the 99th percentile for US women. That means 1% of women are my height or taller. There are a few out there and of course many tall ladies wear heels as well. I wear modest (2-3") heels and think that it may help my presentation since people will see the heels as a justification of my height. In any case, there's nothing to be done about it!

Jaylyn
03-17-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm also 6'2" and I just feel that I can wear shorter skirts and show off more legs. I try and keep my legs in shape so the heels aren't a problem. I don't go out but would enjoy it if the right circumstance should come along. I know I wouldn't pass as I just look like a guy in a dress anyway so the height thing is not that big of a deal for me.

BLUE ORCHID
03-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Hi Audrey, I'm 5"12" and have no problems with 4" or 5" heels.

kev.wong140
03-17-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm from Guangdong China, where the average height of men are 170.77cm and average height of women is 158.05cm. http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/topic/36665-the-average-height-of-youth-han-chinesemeasured-in-2005/
At 178cm (5'11"), I'm taller than 89% of men and taller than 99.99% of all women from my country. That makes me an extraordinarily tall girl. :P

gennee
03-17-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm 5'9" in stocking feet. I wear 2 to 3 inch heels, I'm around six feet. I love to wear heels. I carry flats with me because sometimes my feet hurt. :D

sammiecd
03-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Heh, sometimes I feel like being short (for a guy) is about the only thing I have going for me. 5'5" here. I'd have to wear 5" heels just to be even with my wife! :3 But the fact is that my wife caught my eye originally because of her beauty and because she's tall! Love me some tall women! :)

Beverley Sims
03-17-2014, 01:47 PM
It is just that a tall man dressed shows a lot of bulk.
It can be successfully done though.

Alice Torn
03-17-2014, 02:51 PM
I am six feet six in bare feet, and 245. And 59 yo. Tall women in my age range are extremely rare, and when i do see one, she is married, usually to a man shorter than here. I do not like being this tall. The average woman around my area must be about 5'3". I would like to date a tall woman, but they are almost non existant in my age range. Going out dressed, nearly 7' in high heels, brings lots of pointing, stares, giggling, etc. Life is not that easy for some of us tall ones, who are single. I find guys wanting sex from my lady self, and very seldom a single woman interested in my guy self. However, it is exciting going out in public as a supertall, striking older lady.

kimdl93
03-17-2014, 06:21 PM
It feels a bit different from my vantage point...6'2" barefoot. I have met a few women my height, not many. I do not let it deter me from getting out, but I must admit feeling awfully conspicuous among a group of women 5'5" and under.

Eryn
03-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Oh, and it's a hoot when I'm out with a couple of friends who are both six footers. Together we look fine as long as we are not near any other ladies! :)

Barbara Dugan
03-17-2014, 06:50 PM
I am 5'10'' and Hispanic and usually taller than most of my friends and relatives sometimes I wish being shorter

natcrys
03-17-2014, 06:58 PM
I think it depends on where you live.. I'm 1.71 metres (or 5 ft. 7 ish).. so in the Netherlands.. that makes a relatively short guy.. and an about average height woman.

But when I was out and about in Tokyo... even I felt like a giant.. and then it's quite difficult not feeling like you're standing out. :eek:

So I completely understand the feelings of my sisters who are above 6 feet.

sometimes_miss
03-18-2014, 07:02 AM
For while there are women who are six four, there simply aren't enough of them for me to blend into a crowd of them. I'm always going to be the one head sticking up. That invites attention, no matter what else we do, and attention is the enemy of blending in.

Lynn Marie
03-18-2014, 07:14 AM
Here's something to understand about heels. No matter how high of a heel you wear, they will only add around 3 inches to your height. As the heel gets higher, the foot moves forward after the initial rise in height. Of course platforms add their platform height plus the 3 inches.

Anna H
03-18-2014, 07:17 AM
I'm 6'1" without shoes on...but if I ever do get out...(maybe)
I'll consider it an advantage.

Very tall and slim...may be a distraction from "lack of pretty"!

I hope it works like that anyways...

:)

Katey888
03-18-2014, 07:29 AM
In the USA - avg male height - 5' 10.5" - avg female height - 5' 5"

In the UK - avg male height - 5' 10" - avg female height - 5' 4.5"

(Proving, incidentally, once again that everything in the USA is bigger than the UK... :devil:)

These stats will be skewed for exactly where you live in each country, ethnicity, socioeconomic ranking, etc. Without generalising too much :) members here tend towards areas that would support a slightly higher local average, so while 6' females may not be unusual, they are certainly above average, and a tallish female in heels, say 5' 8" + 4" would tower over me... :) Nice thought...

Anyway - just to bring everyone back to the ground :D - the average will always be just that - and some folk will be self conscious and some won't. If I ever go out here in modest heels, I'll still be above average for a female or male... and probably massively self-conscious for that and a host of other reasons.. Advantage to us shorter girls is that it probably is just a little easier to blend and go unremarked.. We've all got to get on with it one way or another...:)

I'd still love to go out blonde and dressed in Tokyo... :devil:

Katey x

Marcelle
03-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Well I guess at 5'6" that puts me south of average for a male and just slightly north of average for a woman.

Hugs

Isha

Kyle1105
03-18-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm 5'2 but I don't let that stop me!

Zylia
03-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Luckily Dutch women are huge, so in terms of height I blend in easily, but it's not like height is the only tell. I'd worry about not looking like a dude in a dress before I'd worry about my height.

pajeantv
03-18-2014, 03:14 PM
I seem to be holding at 5'9", I always wear heels, 2-3 inch, otherwise i seem to feel out of proportion to the rest of my body. I still am under the 6' mark, which in most cases is enough to blend in locally. I never considered height a problem, I have a harder time keeping my weight at the right level.

Genifer Teal
03-21-2014, 05:01 PM
As I like to say - Height will get you noticed. What you do with the attention is up to you.

Krisi
03-22-2014, 08:43 AM
True, there are some 6 foot tall women but they are slimmer than most tall men and their shoulders are not as broad. Also, as GGs, they have nothing to hide.

Most genetic women adjust their wardrobe to suit their bodies. It's something crossdressers should consider.

suezeq
03-22-2014, 09:57 AM
hi im 6ft 2in and daugther is 6ft 1 in

MzVanessa
03-22-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm 5'6 and normally wear 4-5" heels... So I guess I stand closer to 5'10_5'11 so I probably standout out in them. But usually any girl in higher heels will stand out... Hard to notice. For the record... I wish I could be taller for both girl and guy mode... Long legs on a girl are amazing to look at!

grace7777
03-22-2014, 12:18 PM
To me the big thing about height is that if you are over 6 feet and dressed as a woman it will get you noticed, which can be good or bad depending on whether you want to draw attention. The second thing is that it can be hard to find clothes and shoes when you are real tall.

I am 5'5.5" so I am a little taller than the average woman, so my height is not going to draw extra attention. For me my goal is to not attract attention and blend in as well as possible.

When I was young I wanted to be taller, but now I am glad I am not so tall. If anything I might like to be an inch or two shorter.

Talisker
03-22-2014, 08:36 PM
A 6' woman will certainly get attention. You just dont meet them very often.
Im 6'3" and dont get too much attention whilst sat down but stand up and that changes.
Audreyinalbany why dont you get some big platforms to take you well over 6' and see how much more attention you get ?