PDA

View Full Version : I think I may know WHY.

Wildaboutheels
03-17-2014, 03:26 PM
WHY... several times a week at least, some "men" here complain, either in threads or responses that women get all the "good stuff". That "they" get all the various endless fabrics, styles, colors etc to make them look good and men don't.

It's well established from another thread, that MANY CDers shop for groceries and that almost none do it in a blind rage where they would be incapable of paying the slightest bit of attention to their surroundings. Maybe they are so busy trying to bust other CDers that they have never noticed all the MAGAZINES at the checkout? I fail to see how any CDer worth his or her salt could not notice?

FACT: Men do, in fact, have a lot to choose from [per at least one GG here] but I am simply "guessing" that much of it might be on the expensive side? Plus it is sold in the "wrong" - the MEN'S - department.

FACT: With the near endless supply of female "sizes" of clothing, MOST men could find at least a few female items that would "fit". Fit being subjective of course.

FACT: There are no laws [that I am aware of] that prevent men from buying clothes in the women's department in any state. OR wearing them out in public in any state. Whining that JD public can't/won't/does not accept is essentially calling all the countless CDers here LIARS. All the ones who, over the years at this site, reported little or almost no trouble "dressed" out in public.

REALITY check. All those various magazines illustrate beyond any shadow of a doubt the WHY. Why women have so many choices.

It's not just a Florida thing either. I recently returned from another state and confirmed/compared the mag covers there to what is found in Florida before posting this.

It's not complicated, really it's not. The more attractive a woman can make herself, the greater her choice in mate selection. Which is WHY they have so many choices. More avenues to flaunt/present her body and face.

IF men could "increase their chances" with more women by wearing "makeup", how many do you think would NOT? There IS a reason they call it makeup. A man's "attractiveness" is very seldom at or near the top of most women's lists and this is easily confirmed at most Dating sites.

Take your best guess at the ratio. And then pay attention the next time you checkout. It might not be fair but it is a good illustration of REALITY.

Perhaps some of you in other countries could check the ratio of what you see and report back.? Maybe it's just the US that is so obsessed with FEMALE attractiveness?
Ima guessin' that it's the same story world wide except in those countries where females are only allowed to show their eyes in public.

So, before you check, what's your best guess at the F/M cover ratio?

5/1?

10/1?

15/1?

20/1?

This thread like all, is simply food for thought, consideration or responses at YOUR discretion.

Hell on Heels
03-17-2014, 03:35 PM
If we're just talking at the checkout counter, not the magazine rack, I don't think my store has 20 mags. at the checkout.
So i'm going to go with the 15:1 ratio. I'll have to check next time out.

Wildaboutheels
03-17-2014, 03:41 PM
For the sake of this Q, I make the assumption that the Mags displayed at the checkout are THE ones likeliest to sell to ALL the folks passing through the checkout.

Is that a fair assumption?

Lorileah
03-17-2014, 03:45 PM
:rulez:Be very careful on this thread. This first time it becomes a *****fest about women's clothing and entitlement...it will be not only gone but LONG gone with penalties:waiting:

Katey888
03-17-2014, 05:25 PM
For the sake of this Q, I make the assumption that the Mags displayed at the checkout are THE ones likeliest to sell to ALL the folks passing through the checkout.

Is that a fair assumption?

Not necessarily - in fact, probably unlikely... :)

It's as or more likely to be:
- Publishers co-op advertising with the retail chain
- Whether or not the retail chain advertises with any particular publishing group
- Retail store dressers seeking to project a particular image (this may be related to buyer stereotypes or not)

The ones right by the checkout will likely have some sort of promotional connection - checkout facings are stocked with last minute impulse buys that the store is PUSHING at it's punters: choc bars - sorry - CANDY bars; chewing gum; lottery cards, some glossy magazines to read while you queue (yes, we still have queues here, we like our old traditions.. :))

But that aside.. What point are you making here? :bonk:

That the vast majority of magazines are pitched at a majority market of heterosexual, male-female relationships where the male does sport, fishes for carp, rides bikes, gets muddy and uses aftershave while the female does shopping, wears European fashions (for the well-heeled), has mani-pedis, keeps fit and aspires to look and live like Victoria bloody Beckham...?

Of course, that's what these mags are flogging - they're selling a fantasy, where everyone is airbrushed, we all aspire to an unreliable Italian sportscar or two, where all plate glass coffee tables have the latest copy of Vogue and Horse & Hound arranged just so... :eek:

What's your point...?! I've lost myself now... :facepalm:

Konfused Katey x

Jenniferathome
03-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Just trying to follow a train of thought here:

...women get all the "good stuff". That "they" get all the various endless fabrics, styles, colors etc to make them look good and men don't.

...CDers shop for groceries ...

... Men do, in fact, have a lot to choose from...might be on the expensive side? ...

...MOST men could find at least a few female items that would "fit". ...

... no laws [that I am aware of] that prevent men from buying clothes in the women's department ...

... various magazines illustrate ... Why women have so many choices.

It's not just a Florida thing either. ...

... The more attractive a woman can make herself, the greater her choice in mate selection. ...

IF men could "increase their chances" with more women by wearing "makeup", how many do you think would NOT? ...

... what's your best guess at the F/M cover ratio?

So, complaints that women get all the good stuff is countered by cross dressers buying groceries. Interesting.

Mens clothes are apparently expensive but men can fit into women's clothes. Humm, kinda missed that one.

There are no laws preventing the purchase or wearing of women's clothes and magazines illustrate why women have so much choice. Nope, totally missed that one.

And not just in Florida, but natural selection seems to have been cast aside in favor of unnatural selection which dictates that women wear makeup Do men want to be unnaturally selective too? Darwin is rolling over in his grave, "How'd I miss this one?!"

Then we are back to magazines. Once again proving something.

Just not getting it.

Wildaboutheels
03-17-2014, 07:01 PM
The checkout at any store, not just Grocery stores is their last chance to extract money from the customer's pocket.

They don't have checkout lines for men and checkout lines for women. Or am I missing something?

There is only so much room at the checkout. Which is why they put the magazines that they do with the covers that they have at the checkout. The magazines with the greatest chance of being sold to Humans.

Because the vast majority of Humans, with few exceptions, care what FEmales look like and how they present themselves and the more attractive the better.

Hell took a stab at 15/1.

Anyone else?

Adriana Moretti
03-17-2014, 07:16 PM
yea...im confused too...and im already spinning in circles....I always thought those mags were there cause they had pretty women on them...i also noticed today in the grocery store, right next to the magazines at checkout was a manicure kit...which i found weird but reminded me i have to get my nails done soon. This post makes no sense at all...but neither does this tread really...it actually made my brain hurt a little .

Vickie_CDTV
03-17-2014, 07:28 PM
I don't know about a blind rage, but with the cost of groceries these days I know I am rather angry by the time I get through the checkout line. I still notice women regardless... wait, what were were talking about again?

Kate Simmons
03-17-2014, 07:33 PM
I never pay $5 for a magazine no matter what's in it. :)

Anna H
03-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Last time I paid more than $5 for a magazine, it was because it
came with a CD. (no...not like us. The kind loaded with computer
crapware.) I learned my lesson about that kind of ****!

Both men and women bought them. I know because I repaired
many of their computers...(I had already learned my lesson....so
I knew how to fix them)

I'd buy a CD magazine that had our kind in it. I'd just be amazed to
see that and wouldn't be able to resist most likely.

I'd be 20x more likely if I were wearing makeup...but that's
just a (somewhat educated) guess.

:)

sometimes_miss
03-18-2014, 07:25 AM
For a lot of people, attractiveness works a bit backwards. There are a percentage of the population that we consider 'potential' mates, each of which are then ruled in or out by negative attributes. Unfortunately, for a whole lot of women, feminine behavior/appearance is one of those things that they simply don't want in a man.

One of the reasons so many men here complain about their favorite female clothing being 'only available for females', is simply envy. Most people get upset when what they want is not available to them, and feel it's unfair that someone else can have something he wants but can't have.
You'll find more females on magazine covers because they are valued more for their appearance than men are, and also because I suppose that the female form may be just more beautiful than the male. Just like a sunset on the beach is prettier than a dumpster full of bugs and garbage, women are prettier than men. We have to live with that. Life is not always fair. Publishers put pictures on the front of their magazines to sell them. Whatever sells best is what's going on the cover. They have NO other interest but money about 99.999999% of the time.

Marcelle
03-18-2014, 08:37 AM
Funny timing as I just got back from the grocery store and was looking over the magazines. Interestingly it was all the "gossip magazines" and one Muscle Fitness magazine. So I guess in my little corner of Canada, we are more concerned with what Lindsay Lohan or the Beibs is doing, or the best way to get 27 inch biceps rather than fashion "boy or girl". :)

Hugs

Isha

natcrys
03-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Also, not quite sure what we are trying to argue here.. but in the check-out line where I do my groceries it's just sweets and candy.. bars, liquorice, Kinder Surprise eggs, cupcakes.

It's the biggest supermarket in this town, but it's frequented mainly by students.. who probably will not shell out 4 to 7 euros for a magazine, when they can also eat 3 or 4 times for that money. Or drink more :beer:

But yes, I like looking at pretty women (GG, TG, CD, whatever) much more than men,. and I like their way of dressing much much more appealing to look at as well. I do like a good suit though.. the kind that would make ZZ Top label me a "Sharp Dressed Man"! :D

Beverley Sims
03-18-2014, 11:34 AM
I put this a little differently.
At the checkout.
10 for the sweets munchers.
6 for the women and their type of reading.
One for my tastes, Computer or Electronics.

Oh! there is a copy of Vogue!

I buy it for the fashion fotos in it.

I always get my copy of "The Star" off the floor of the tube. :)

Wildaboutheels
03-18-2014, 12:10 PM
I guess there must simply be something wrong with the stores in Florida maybe?

I believe a trip to my local Publix is in order with camera in hand. I will post the pix and then you folks not using smartphones can do the counting of the faces.

Will that work? Would a short video clip be easier for all you using smartphones? Can I even post a video here and if so, how large can it be?

Katey888
03-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Wild - you can post a link to a video here, but not the video itself - that has to be hosted elsewhere. :)

Pics may be easier and quicker - but I think you should also consider rephrasing what question it is you are asking or point you are making because currently, only Kristyn has actually answered the OP...? :doh:

And while I find some of the replies fascinating and not a little amusing, this thread is nearing closure if it doesn't get to something soon...

:waiting:

Katey
In Moderator Mode