PDA

View Full Version : I stood there and owned it

Launa
03-20-2014, 10:39 PM
I was at my favorite seamstress' shop today IN DRAB to get a 2nd fitting on a new sequin dress. The shop is in a busy shopping mall, it was just before 5 pm, the owner of the store said put on the dress and we'll see how it looks. So I put on all the pads except for the wig, had no makeup etc.... She was pinning the dress in different places and asking questions, I was thinking about everything she was suggesting and we were having a good conversation when a guy walked in to get his altered shirts back....

In the old days I would have just closed the curtain and hid behind it until the coast was clear. Today I stood there in a flashy sequin dress and didn't run for the hills. The lady dealt with her client real quickly then came back to me to finish up. Then another guy came before we could finish up in to drop off some pants and I just stood there until she was done with him. I decided to own it, why be a coward and run to hide?

GenieGirl
03-20-2014, 10:45 PM
You go girl :)

GeminaRenee
03-20-2014, 11:02 PM
So easily said, but often done with such difficulty. Proud of you! (:

Launa
03-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Ya, it wouldn't have been such a big deal if I was all made up! when I'm in drab doing something like this its like being naked....

sandra-leigh
03-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Fortunately my dress-maker is not in a mall. But it was a bit nerve-wracking to get her to make my clothes to accentuate the female look -- both in the nerve it took me to go get something custom made at all, and in the fact that she is an elderly asian woman who did not have enough of a grasp of English for me to explain properly.

Gardener
03-21-2014, 01:32 AM
It is a story that at the personal level shows inner personal confidence but at another level shows how a mature society could so easily accept difference. If you had pulled the curtain none of it would have happened. Well done.

Rachelakld
03-21-2014, 01:33 AM
Hate that when I'm not dressed properly - waiting in line for change room to try on a pretty dress, with other females in the que, but if the dress is worth it, then it's worth it.
Well done, besides panicking makes it more obvious.

MarcellaMcNul
03-21-2014, 02:04 AM
Awesome!

Beverley Sims
03-21-2014, 03:04 AM
I remember trying on a wedding dress once and all I did was put the veil over my head, other people in the salon remarked what a wonderful bride I would make. :)

We all thought that was a good joke on everyone.

Marcelle
03-21-2014, 03:38 AM
Hi Launa,

Good for you. We are doing nothing illegal, immoral or wrong. If you decide to go out amongst the vanilla world the only thing you can do is own it.

Hugs

Isha

Teresa
03-21-2014, 04:23 AM
Hi Launa,
If your new dress is tight and you were wearing heels how fast could you run anyway ?
I had a moment like that in a shoe shop, I was in drab but trying on 4" knee high boots and a guy stood staring ! Run in those boots ? No way !

kimdl93
03-21-2014, 06:19 AM
Good for you!

Claire Cook
03-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Launa,

What a great lesson for the rest of us. Owning up to it is much better than panicking!

BLUE ORCHID
03-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Hi Launa, That was great , But the guy with the shirts was probably having a WTF moment.

Katey888
03-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Perhaps the guy with shirts was thinking: "Man! I should come in and do that sometime...." :)

Good for you, Launa - be who you are, do what you want to do and live the dream.. :cheer:

Katey x

MarcyRex
03-21-2014, 07:55 AM
I remember a bra fitting with forms. I am standing there (wearing a form fitting blouse) at the counter as the lady goes back for a different size. The FedEx guy arrives to make a delivery. He is feeling awkward and averts his eyes, while the lady gets the manager to sign for package.[<-- She said package. *snicker*]. So we continue to wait while that transaction is done. No big deal but like Launa said, I owned it.

Panophobia
03-21-2014, 08:04 AM
fed ex guys have seen everything Marcy

MsVal
03-21-2014, 08:09 AM
That must have been a very empowering feeling.
It's an aspiration of many on this forum.

Best wishes
MsVal

Sarasometimes
03-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Closing the curtain after he saw you would have been sort of pointless but I may have done it anyway. Good job of just owning, as you say. As for delivery guys, some of them are on this forum too.

Angie G
03-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Way to go girl.Like they say It takes a real man to wear a dress.:hugs:
Angie

Debra Russell
03-21-2014, 11:39 AM
One word "pictures" girl we wanna see....................Debra

Chickhe
03-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Don't sweat it... You have to look at these things from the perspective of the other person. You walk in to the store, see a guy getting fit for a dress,... you first think...that's unusual, shrug and do you business. You don't know why you say a guy in a dress...available relative helping out...an actor.....for a play etc etc... probably not thinking CDer or anything else. The only case for concern might be if you are recognised bhy someone you know, then there might be more explaining to do if they know you well enough. ...Just do it.

sillycdlover
03-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Launa, I could not be more proud of and for you. I so admire such courage, and so seldom see it!

Ena

suzanne
03-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Good for you! Aren't you glad it gets easier each time you get out there? Also, did you happen to see the reactions of the men as they saw you and processed what they were seeing? That's fun,too! Sometimes.

Launa
03-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Fortunately my dress-maker is not in a mall. But it was a bit nerve-wracking to get her to make my clothes to accentuate the female look -- both in the nerve it took me to go get something custom made at all, and in the fact that she is an elderly asian woman who did not have enough of a grasp of English for me to explain properly.

This would have made things really comical, I couldn't imagine yelling in the store to the seamstress, "make it tighter around the breasts and the thighs."

Hi Launa,
If your new dress is tight and you were wearing heels how fast could you run anyway ?
I had a moment like that in a shoe shop, I was in drab but trying on 4" knee high boots and a guy stood staring ! Run in those boots ? No way !

This is funny because after this 2nd fitting the dress is tight, tight, tight in all the right places so I won't be running too fast at all! The lady was laughing at me and said get used to it. Zipping this thing up is going to be a challenge.

One word "pictures" girl we wanna see....................Debra

Ok Debra, when I have the whole outfit built I will get some pics. I'm making a big fascinator to go with it and can't wait for the next big event to wear it out.

Good for you! Aren't you glad it gets easier each time you get out there? Also, did you happen to see the reactions of the men as they saw you and processed what they were seeing? That's fun,too! Sometimes.

Yes, it gets easier. This time seemed a little harder because I was in DRAB. It also doesn't help that this mall is very close to home and anybody coming in could have been a neighbor, friend, whoever.

Thank you for all your comments!

Elizabeth36
03-22-2014, 09:48 AM
The way I see it is it's all about self confidence and self acceptance. You have the power to set the tone for how others treat you. You felt that power that day and it felt good. Well done!!! Remember that feeling of confidence everytime you might falter.

Andrea Chenowith
03-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Although it wasn't as obvious as trying on a dress, I've often seen those looks while getting makeovers. My favorite was when I was living/working in D.C., and an old guy was so preoccupied with staring/glaring at me that he ran into a display in the aisle and knocked a mannequin over.

So who was making the real scene there? ;-)

Tracii G
03-22-2014, 11:51 AM
The main thing is act like its nothing and it will be a non issue to 99% of the public.

Aaron Zwidling
04-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Good for you. That is one step farther than I have ever gone. The closest I have come to what you did is walking past women in the hallway of a lingerie boutique in drab, where the only reason you would be in that hallway is you are on your way to one of the change cubicles for a bra fitting. While with mine people who saw me knew I must be crossdressing but didn't see it happen, with your situation it takes that much more courage to be in plain sight crossdressed like you were.

AliyahS619
04-07-2014, 12:17 AM
That's awesome!