PDA

View Full Version : His and hers haircuts

Claire Cook
03-22-2014, 08:32 AM
After seeing Launa’s post about “owning up” I had to share this experience. (Sorry, it’s a bit long but I hope you’ll understand!)

I get my guy haircuts done by a wonderful lady named Juanita who runs a local beauty shop called “Dynasty Hair Design”. Years ago, my first outing with a sister was a trip to her beauty salon where I had my wig trimmed. I’ve always wanted to do this on my own, so this week I decided to have his and hers appointments, a couple of hours apart. During my guy cut I learned that Juanita and I are moon sisters – we’re both Cancers, with birthdays two days apart. (Juanita: “That is why we are so simpatico!” ) So home I go to get into my comfy clothes (yellow top, femme jeans and a little makeup) and get my wigs to be worked on. I confess to some trepidation: What if one of the ladies is still there who saw me getting a haircut? What do I do when I am in the chair, the wig comes off and the other ladies are in the room?

So back Claire comes. As it happens, one of the ladies who was getting a perm was leaving just as I entered, so I just smile and say Hi! and she does the same. I come in, I’m greeted nicely and – guess what – I feel natural! As I wait my turn, I notice what Juanita is doing to other ladies’ hair and I’m fascinated. I’ve probably seen this before, but this is different: I’m noticing how the hair is done, and how what she does works with faces. Once in a while a lady will look at me, I look at her hair and smile approvingly – and get a nice smile back! I’m also fascinated by the lady who is doing eyebrows and gives facials – at one point she asks me if I need my brows done (wow, do I….) “Maybe next time” and she smiles. OK, my turn. Juanita has me try on each of my wigs, and then says “One of these will need washing and trimming – why don’t you leave it with me and come back next week?” (Oh yes !!) So she works with the others – a few curls here, a flip there, working with the bangs – and the pink fog has really set in. What about the other ladies? Absolutely no problem. At one point one said “What a great color!” and another says “That looks really good on you.”. OK, I’m not using wig caps and it’s got to be obvious that I’m a guy .. and you know what? No one cared!! Or maybe they just appreciated the moment. Own up to it? Heck yes!!
I truly felt like I belonged – right with the rest of the the older ladies in the shop.

I really floated out of the place, after wishing everyone a great weekend (What?? It was only Wednesday). Then as I’m going out the door Juanita’s assistant said “Hon, you look beautiful!” . She probably says that to all of the ladies, but she probably had no idea about the high she gave me. This was my first time, and I’m sure that some of you have done this before, but I can’t wait for the next time!

Marcelle
03-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Hi Claire,

What a great story and a nice balance of perspectives. It is interesting how we look at things a bit differently when we are dressed "en femme". So when do you get your wig back?

Hugs

Isha

Chari
03-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Claire, Sometimes we are our own worst critic, creating too many "what if's" in our mind! So glad everything on that adventure brought you to new feminine heights! Enjoy.

Launa
03-22-2014, 09:12 AM
What if one of the ladies is still there who saw me getting a haircut? What do I do when I am in the chair, the wig comes off and the other ladies are in the room? So back Claire comes. As it happens, one of the ladies who was getting a perm was leaving just as I entered,

I've often thought when I go out that someone will recodnize me en femme but our male/female looks differ so much that people cant put 2 and 2 together unless they were told whats what. I bet if you came in 5 mins after you left the salon that nobody could tell who you were.
When people see us dressed up, its so far out of context for them to see our male self that they just can't see it. I have seen a lot of my CD friends in Drab and theres no way I could ever what they look like tell unless they were standing side by side and even then I couldn't do it. That old fashioned salon sounds great especially if they still do the perms etc.

Jamie Lynn
03-22-2014, 10:26 AM
What an excellent day, Claire! I am very happy for you! The sun was shining somewhere! :c9:

Beverley Sims
03-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Claire,
A nice compliment or good social interaction has me on cloud nine constantly.

Claire Cook
03-24-2014, 06:13 AM
Thanks to all for your comments!

Hi Claire,
What a great story and a nice balance of perspectives. It is interesting how we look at things a bit differently when we are dressed "en femme". So when do you get your wig back?
Hugs
Isha

Sometime this week. Can't wait for Juanita's call and to see what it looks like!

Claire, Sometimes we are our own worst critic, creating too many "what if's" in our mind! So glad everything on that adventure brought you to new feminine heights! Enjoy.

Chari, you are so right -- so many of those "what if's" don't happen. (But maybe it's good to think about them in case they do...)

I've often thought when I go out that someone will recodnize me en femme but our male/female looks differ so much that people cant put 2 and 2 together unless they were told whats what. I bet if you came in 5 mins after you left the salon that nobody could tell who you were.
When people see us dressed up, its so far out of context for them to see our male self that they just can't see it. I have seen a lot of my CD friends in Drab and theres no way I could ever what they look like tell unless they were standing side by side and even then I couldn't do it. That old fashioned salon sounds great especially if they still do the perms etc.

Launa, I hope that is true! People who meet Claire for the first time and know my drab side sometimes don't recognize me at first. (But even if they do, that's cool too,) But yes, the context is important!

And yes, it's a wonderful old fashioned salon, and I loved being one of the Golden Girls, if only for a while ...

What an excellent day, Claire! I am very happy for you! The sun was shining somewhere! :c9:

So come on down to the Sunshine State!

Claire,
A nice compliment or good social interaction has me on cloud nine constantly.

Doesn't it ever! And it works both ways -- either en femme or en drab, we should be complimenting women on what they are wearing.

Sarasometimes
03-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Great story and although I have never done the guy gal haircut thing I do very regularly visit a host of salons. The staff are almost always great but I used to be amazed at how other clients are so pleasant and friendly, now I just sort of expect it. I present as blendable but my voie is male andthat doesn't seem to matter. I thnk a big part of it is thatGG's naturally support each other with kind words, especially to strangers.
I have incorporated this in my en drab activities and it is so wonderful to give compliments and kind words to others. Everyone leaves feeling better. It is a shame that guys in general don't behave that way.
Nice story and by the way i would never let my wig (hman hair) get styled without me wearing it. I so love the process and feminine atmosphere of salons.

Tracii G
03-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Awesome story you had to feel really good.
Owning up is one of the most freeing feelings isn't it?

Claire Cook
04-02-2014, 06:06 AM
Well, Juanita called this weekend and said my wig was finally ready. So yesterday I had some Claire time and went to pick it up. "Do you want to try it on?" Silly question! Several of the ladies there said "What a lovely color" and I had to agree. Juanita fussed over it a bit, and here is the result. As I've said before, I was treated wonderfully, both by Juanita and her staff and by the other ladies who were there. I was all set for a morning of Claire's errands.

I could get REALLY used to this!!